Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

UPDATE: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)

Post New Thread Reply   

DontWannaName
Veteran Member
Old 05-11-2010 , 03:01   Re: UPDATE: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #91

Most people cant code for MM and even less can code vdf plugins. The chances of a close copy are slim.

Thraka
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-11-2010 , 09:08   Re: UPDATE: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by voogru View Post
The thing is, some sort of blacklist would have to be maintained. As far as duplicating my patch, good luck. People can't even clone dodgeball properly.
Well sure, of course. All I'm saying is that the more options you present them, the likelihood of them settling on something potentially increases.
Ginxeng
Old 05-12-2010 , 22:02   Re: UPDATE: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #93

Valve can go screw them selfs, hopefully I can find a "cracked" plugin that lets me keep using the regular hats again, I dont care blacklist my server.
SourceMod Developer
Old 05-13-2010 , 01:53   Re: UPDATE: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginxeng View Post
Valve can go screw them selfs, hopefully I can find a "cracked" plugin that lets me keep using the regular hats again, I dont care blacklist my server.
Well, maybe you should stop being selfish and start giving a crap about the server-hosting and modding community as a whole.
Where do you think we would be without community-made plugins like MM:S and SM.
Old 05-13-2010 , 02:45   Re: UPDATE: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #95

The only ones being selfish here is valve.
Inspector Javert
Old 05-13-2010 , 03:07   Re: UPDATE: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginxeng View Post
The only ones being selfish here is valve.
Valve wants to protect a small part of their content, so that they have some sort of value and are not available everywhere within 10 seconds of the update?

That's being selfish?

Yeah so let's stick it to them so they break the last fix and then hold firm. Nice job, now nobody gets attachments.
FaTony
Veteran Member
Old 05-13-2010 , 04:09   Re: UPDATE: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #97

Well I think we've payed for TF2, and we have a right to enjoy all game content. People will go nuts to achieve it anyway. Now Valve is trying to block that content as a license holder. They are correct from the legal point-of-view, but constantly creating more rage and flame wars all over the community. I personally think they should leave it as pick-up-and-play game like all their other games, and concentrate over the gameplay not f**king achievement farming and idling.
voogru
Inspector Javert
Old 05-13-2010 , 04:20   Re: UPDATE: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaTony View Post
Well I think we've payed for TF2, and we have a right to enjoy all game content. People will go nuts to achieve it anyway. Now Valve is trying to block that content as a license holder. They are correct from the legal point-of-view, but constantly creating more rage and flame wars all over the community. I personally think they should leave it as pick-up-and-play game like all their other games, and concentrate over the gameplay not f**king achievement farming and idling.
You bought a license to play the game. You don't have rights over the TF2 content.

And they are working on gameplay, I think it's called Engineer update, and then of course you have the stuff for Mac's.

They just want their item system to have some sense of value and I don't see a problem with it, I just hope they relax the policy enough for custom content to be used.
wasder
Old 05-13-2010 , 07:35   Re: UPDATE: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #99

I think valve can protect their own content, but not that which was made by a community and added by valve in the game.
Send a message via Skype™ to wasder
Inflikted
SourceMod Donor
Old 05-13-2010 , 12:10   Re: UPDATE: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasder View Post
I think valve can protect their own content, but not that which was made by a community and added by valve in the game.
exactly what I thought wasder. a good amount of the hats in TF2 were never made by valve. but after reading the legal contract community hat makers must sign before valve uses their hat/item in game.. the community hat maker basically has no say, and also cannot go against Valve's Policy in that particular game if they submit their hat "You may not make any use of the Contribution that is inconsistent with the rights you have granted to Valve herein."

the only thing I got out of this... was telling the custom content makers in my community to read the legal notice, and think twice before they give something to valve. If valve wishes to enforce this silly policy, to protect 'their content'.. then they can do it with their own time and effort of making these items.