Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Spider - A Replacement Webcompiler

Post New Thread Reply   

alongub
Veteran Member
Old 04-05-2013 , 14:04   Re: SPIDER - A SourcePawn IDE
Reply With Quote #11

This is just awesome, but it's still requires a lot of work in order to be usable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
Proper file system management, multiple code files. Maybe some form of project blob to allow saving of complete works.
Maybe even Git/Mercurial integration?

And what about the ability to save the plugin directly to your gameserver's FTP in addition to downloading the smx file?

I guess these two feature requests would require a server backend.

Also, what's your opinion on adding some debugging capabilities? For example, creating an include file that's utilising something like PeaceMaker's WebSocket Server in order to add a method such as Debug(const String:message[]) that'll send messages to the IDE console?

Oh btw, make this a chrome app!

Last edited by alongub; 04-05-2013 at 14:11.
Dr. Greg House
Professional Troll,
Part-Time Asshole
Old 04-05-2013 , 16:48   Re: SPIDER - A SourcePawn IDE
Reply With Quote #12

There's a few things with Pawn Studio that have been bugging me besides the crashes and that it is dead, but the worst things for me were the horrible FTP-browser and missing support for S FTP.

I don't know how many are still using Pawn Studio and I miss that there's no SourcePawn addon for VS (anymore AFAIK), maybe people might collect here what pisses them off about Pawn Studio so you might get some good inspiration about what you could add and how.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 04-05-2013 , 16:48   Re: SPIDER - A SourcePawn IDE
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alongub View Post
Maybe even Git/Mercurial integration?

And what about the ability to save the plugin directly to your gameserver's FTP in addition to downloading the smx file?
While it would be possible to emscripten CPython and a FTP client, it would be pushing a lot of code to the browser for very little gain.

I think that focusing on shiny features is more than a little silly at this point.
I'm just going to rename the thread, calling it an IDE was a joke that started on IRC, and the note at the top of the OP was meant to convey this, but I can see it's coloured the direction the thread is taking.

The intent here is to build a client-side replacement for the webcompiler, not build Eclipse-in-a-browser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alongub View Post
Also, what's your opinion on adding some debugging capabilities? For example, creating an include file that's utilising something like PeaceMaker's WebSocket Server in order to add a method such as Debug(const String:message[]) that'll send messages to the IDE console?
This could never work without a server providing the host, unfortunately the entire purpose here is to remove the reliance on any backend.

Last edited by asherkin; 04-05-2013 at 16:49.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-05-2013 , 16:55   Re: SPIDER - A SourcePawn IDE
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg House View Post
I don't know how many are still using Pawn Studio and I miss that there's no SourcePawn addon for VS (anymore AFAIK), maybe people might collect here what pisses them off about Pawn Studio so you might get some good inspiration about what you could add and how.
It's a pain to write Visual Studio language addons. You essentially have to write your own parser in a .NET language (likely C#).

I started writing one based on the PythonTools source code for Visual Studio, but it's way too much effort for way too little payoff.

Last edited by Powerlord; 04-05-2013 at 16:58.
Drixevel
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-05-2013 , 17:56   Re: SPIDER - A replacement webcompiler
Reply With Quote #15

This is pretty neat, if this came with integration with Mercurial, Git, etc as well as live upload to the server after compile then this would be something that I would pay for as a product. Not entirely sure if you're wanting to take it that far but it's useful nonetheless.

Cheers,
- Jack

Edit: Not entirely sure this has been reported yet but I'm using the latest version of Mozilla Firefox and the compiled binary won't download. The compile itself tells me it works fine for a basic script but it doesn't allow me to download the '.smx' format.

- Jack

Last edited by Drixevel; 04-05-2013 at 17:59.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 04-05-2013 , 21:53   Re: SPIDER - A replacement webcompiler
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dw3r3w0lf View Post
Edit: Not entirely sure this has been reported yet but I'm using the latest version of Mozilla Firefox and the compiled binary won't download. The compile itself tells me it works fine for a basic script but it doesn't allow me to download the '.smx' format.

- Jack
Are you sure you're using Firefox 20 (released a couple of days ago)? I've tested it on both OS X and Windows with no problems.
Old 04-05-2013 , 23:24   Re: SPIDER - A replacement webcompiler
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Are you sure you're using Firefox 20 (released a couple of days ago)? I've tested it on both OS X and Windows with no problems.
My mistake, I'm running 19.0.2. I'll update and let you know then.

- Jack

Edit: Yep, that did it. My mistake.

- Jack

Last edited by Drixevel; 04-05-2013 at 23:26.
alongub
Veteran Member
Old 04-06-2013 , 00:45   Re: SPIDER - A SourcePawn IDE
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
This could never work without a server providing the host, unfortunately the entire purpose here is to remove the reliance on any backend.
I'm not sure that's true. If I'm not mistaken, the plugin by PeaceMaker allows you to actually open a WebSocket server under a different port. The webcompiler could connect to that server. The only problem is that the user would have to type the server IP address.

Edit: oh, you said you want to remove the reliance on any backend, not only on a web server backend. nvm

Anyway, as a webcompiler and not as an IDE it works great. Nice job!

Last edited by alongub; 04-06-2013 at 00:52.
GoD-Tony
Veteran Member
Old 04-06-2013 , 15:59   Re: SPIDER - A replacement webcompiler
Reply With Quote #19

I didn't even know this was possible, nice job! Be sure to keep us updated with any further changes.
Old 04-06-2013 , 16:22   Re: SPIDER - A replacement webcompiler
Reply With Quote #20

This is amazing! If sourcepawn and multiple saved projects are added this will be what I've been looking for a long time. So far it looks like it's pretty awesome.

Want a TF2 plugin? Feel free to pm me to discuss it.