Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[TF2] Egypt Arch Fix (v1.0.2, 2013-01-02)

Post New Thread Reply   

Author
Messy Recipe
Plugin ID:
Plugin Version:
Plugin Category:
Server Management
Plugin Game:
Team Fortress 2
Plugin Dependencies:
    Servers with this Plugin:

Plugin Description:
    Prevents engineers from building on the arch on Egypt, Stage 2, Point B
    Old 06-07-2012 , 21:23   [TF2] Egypt Arch Fix (v1.0.2, 2013-01-02)
    Reply With Quote #1

Description

I'm quite a fan of Egypt, but ever since the Wrangler made Sentry jumps possible, RED has been able to completely lock down Point B on the second stage by abusing this arch, turning many people off from the map.

We run a 24/7 Egypt server and have had the arch exploit banned for some time, but the rule was often ignored when administrators were not present, and it was quite annoying to deal with in any case.

I wrote this plugin to prevent construction from occuring in the first place. Whenever the current map is cp_egypt_final, the plugin will check the location of any newly-placed building. If that location is atop the arch, the building will explode, and a message will be displayed to the player informing them that they may not build there.

ConVars

sm_egyptarchfix_version -- Version

Installation

Just copy EgyptArchFix.smx into your sourcemod/plugins/ directory.

Changelog

Code:
    Version 1.0.2 - 2013-01-02
    * Fixed bug arising from previous version where reloading cp_egypt_final would disable plugin if enabled on previous run of map (and vice-versa)

Version 1.0.1 - 2012-10-25
    * Fixed errors from failed UnhookEvent call occuring on other maps after second map change
    * Cleaned up coordinates check code

Version 1.0.0 - 2012-06-07
    * Initial release

Miscellania

This will work on both 24/7 servers and servers with a rotation -- it checks for the proper map before hooking the building placement event.

I may update this in the future to have the option of also blocking building above the first capture point of Stage 1, but because that spot is far less powerful (albeit still surprising) for experienced players, we have not banned it on our 24/7 server and thus I have not yet included it in this plugin. More likely, however, is that I'll simply use it as the basis for a more generalized coordinate-based nobuild with boundaries defined in CFGs.

Attached Files
    File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (EgyptArchFix.sp - 868 views - 1.7 KB)

Last edited by Messy Recipe; 01-02-2013 at 05:42. Reason: Plugin updated
    xomp
    BANNED
    Old 06-07-2012 , 22:01   Re: Egypt Arch Fix
    Reply With Quote #2

Very nice. It's almost unbelievable that kids would exploit such a thing in a F2P game isn't it? haha
    Send a message via Skype™ to xomp
    deltadude
    SourceMod Donor
    Old 06-07-2012 , 22:34   Re: Egypt Arch Fix
    Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xomp View Post
    Very nice. It's almost unbelievable that kids would exploit such a thing in a F2P game isn't it? haha
    Nah people exploit everything they can

@OP Thanks for this!
    Old 06-08-2012 , 05:27   Re: [TF2] Egypt Arch Fix
    Reply With Quote #4

howdy.
    i suggest using a func_nobuild for this. would be much cleaner as engineers can't even build on there anymore.

Code Example
    AlliedModders Donor
    Old 06-08-2012 , 09:24   Re: [TF2] Egypt Arch Fix
    Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thrawn2 View Post
    howdy.
    i suggest using a func_nobuild for this. would be much cleaner as engineers can't even build on there anymore.

Code Example
    Actually, Peace-Maker created a plugin that allowed admins to create func_nobuild zones in various parts of the maps. However, I don't think it was ever posted as an official plugin, only on the Plugins Suggestions and Requests board.

Last edited by Powerlord; 06-08-2012 at 09:25.
    Horsedick
    AlliedModders Donor
    Old 06-08-2012 , 09:47   Re: Egypt Arch Fix
    Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xomp View Post
    I don't see it as an exploit... personally I think its cool if you can have the skill and take the time to get up there or any other spots for that matter that most can't get to. Much like first round of Gold rush where people jump up into upper levels and build before point is captured, it doesn't take a pro to remove them ubered in - skill matchs skill IMO but still nice plugin for I guess what it is worth.
    Mr. Man
    Veteran Member
    Old 06-08-2012 , 10:20   Re: Egypt Arch Fix
    Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Horsedick View Post
    I don't see it as an exploit... personally I think its cool if you can have the skill and take the time to get up there or any other spots for that matter that most can't get to. Much like first round of Gold rush where people jump up into upper levels and build before point is captured, it doesn't take a pro to remove them ubered in - skill matchs skill IMO but still nice plugin for I guess what it is worth.
    Telefrag anyone?
    Powerlord
    AlliedModders Donor
    Old 06-08-2012 , 10:23   Re: Egypt Arch Fix
    Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Horsedick View Post
    All they need to do is pull out their Wrangler to counter that, since it triples the sentry's health. You know they have it since that's how they got up there in the first place.

Last edited by Powerlord; 06-08-2012 at 10:23.
    xomp
    BANNED
    Old 06-08-2012 , 11:07   Re: [TF2] Egypt Arch Fix
    Reply With Quote #9

@OP how about instead of destroying their buildings up there why not reverse the damage they deal back on them? As a Master of rustling jimmies I must say it's far better to let them work so hard to do what they /think/ is going to be griefing/exploiting fun only to get wrecked in the process.

I do this sort of thing when I have furries or bronies on my server, I don't ban them outright and kick them because that would negatively impact my server score. No, what I do is reverse their damage instead. You'd think after dying from your own damage a few times would trigger the "hey, are you rustling my jimmies?" response in the brain but they are so brain dead they continue to play for another hour so I know something like this would be successful for you. Just not sure how difficult it would be for something like that to be made.
    Send a message via Skype™ to xomp
    Horsedick
    AlliedModders Donor
    Old 06-08-2012 , 11:19   Re: Egypt Arch Fix
    Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
    All they need to do is pull out their Wrangler to counter that, since it triples the sentry's health. You know they have it since that's how they got up there in the first place.
    Doesn't the Cowmangler counter that for about 4 seconds thus plenty of time for it to be destroyed if a "team" is working together?

Last edited by Horsedick; 06-08-2012 at 11:20.