Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

New Plugin System?

Post New Thread Reply   

devicenull
Veteran Member
Old 10-20-2009 , 19:33   Re: New Plugin System?
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkimmortal View Post
Whatever happens, it would probably be best to wait for the vBulletin 4.0 release first.
Why?
SourceMod Donor
Old 10-20-2009 , 20:19   Re: New Plugin System?
Reply With Quote #12

Actually, this was brought up in the Donor forum previously because of the impending vb4.0.

That topic basically came to the conclusion that vB is not suited very well. The current system, as described by Bailopan, is that the vB theme (among other things) is negatively impacting the current plugin system. I'm trying to be as simple as possible here. In essense, this is one of those times that an All in One system is not suitable -- wow, the theme of Sourcemod .

Therefore, more features, functionality, organization, searching, etc. will be gained for divorcing from vB in this respect. This would be from the coder/dev side as well from end user standpoint. That is how it has been explained and I hope I got that correct.

Moreover, if some of you have been watching the fallout of vb4.0 release, there is no gurantee that release will be improved in theming or its own UI. At this time, there is no Demo provided, yet a presale has gone underway that has caused much upheaval (dependent on your seat). That is a separate topic and will be case by case issues. Just saying that the new vb4.0 does not assure of actually improving upon the current aims of an improved plugin system.

Sorry if that was a bit much, but I kinda feel a little responsible to elaborate a little more b/c of initiating this.
noodleboy347
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-20-2009 , 21:32   Re: New Plugin System?
Reply With Quote #13

Sounds interesting. I also like the idea of new vBulletin themes, this one gets kinda dull.
Ghost Killer
Old 10-20-2009 , 23:44   Re: New Plugin System?
Reply With Quote #14

I donno if I am in the right way, but if you guys mean using something instead this forum, I do not enjoy, cause here I can see the discussion, if there is any problem,bug with the plugin and how to solve it. Also I can see what will come in next updates of the plugins and etc.
BAILOPAN
Old 10-21-2009 , 00:34   Re: New Plugin System?
Reply With Quote #15

Ghost Killer: How does having a better tool preclude these things? The forums wouldn't go away, they would stay as a support tool.
Old 10-21-2009 , 00:35   Re: New Plugin System?
Reply With Quote #16

The way I'm reading these Plugin System threads is that the current vB forums will remain intact, except that the actual searching for plugins and adding of plugins will be handled by a separate system (AMO). So, you distribute the plugins through AMO, and you can still carry on discussion of the plugins, revision history, todo list, etc using the vB forum.

This just means that in the future, when vB gets an update, the SM team doesn't have to rewrite portions of the system that allow the posting and automatic compiling of the plugins within the vB forums, as that will be done by the AMO system. This would serve as a way to make future plugin distribution ideas independent of the path of vB updates, and would allow spiffy new forum updates without breaking the plugin distribution system.
http://www.brothersofchaos.com/
BAILOPAN
Old 10-21-2009 , 01:46   Re: New Plugin System?
Reply With Quote #17

Yup, that's exactly right.