Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

"MySQL server has gone away" occurring

Post New Thread Reply   

Geesu
Veteran Member
Old 11-21-2007 , 15:26   "MySQL server has gone away" occurring
Reply With Quote #1

In war3ft 3.0 MySQL sometimes throws the error "MySQL server has gone away". You can see more information in this thread: http://wc3mods.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3061

I'm really not sure what to do in order to fix this - when googling it it just says that the connection has timed out, which takes 8 hours... Which is a little confusing as I never had this problem in a previous version of war3ft which didn't use threading. Did threading introduce something new that I need to be aware of?

I was thinking maybe the connection isn't closed/re-opened on map change, so it times out after 8 hours or something? I have no idea. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. You can view the MySQL code here.

Thanks!
Josh
slmclarengt
Veteran Member
Old 11-26-2007 , 20:49   Re: "MySQL server has gone away" occurring
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geesu View Post
In war3ft 3.0 MySQL sometimes throws the error "MySQL server has gone away". You can see more information in this thread: http://wc3mods.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3061

I'm really not sure what to do in order to fix this - when googling it it just says that the connection has timed out, which takes 8 hours... Which is a little confusing as I never had this problem in a previous version of war3ft which didn't use threading. Did threading introduce something new that I need to be aware of?

I was thinking maybe the connection isn't closed/re-opened on map change, so it times out after 8 hours or something? I have no idea. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. You can view the MySQL code here.

Thanks!
Josh
Would it be possible to check for when those type of errors occur and when they do, make it reconnect to the MySQL server reinitializing all of the data.

Note: I think there is probably a better way to solve this annoying problem.

Slmclarengt

Come play WC3:FT on BnD Clan Server! You know you want to: Connect to WC3:FT BnD - go ahead click me!
Geesu
Veteran Member
Old 12-05-2007 , 09:38   Re: "MySQL server has gone away" occurring
Reply With Quote #3

Yea that is what I was considering doing... but I hate that Seems like such a hack to fix some larger problem...

I'm wondering if too many queries are executed too fast? Would be interesting to see how many players on on when it happens.

Josh
slmclarengt
Veteran Member
Old 12-05-2007 , 14:21   Re: "MySQL server has gone away" occurring
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geesu View Post
Yea that is what I was considering doing... but I hate that Seems like such a hack to fix some larger problem...

I'm wondering if too many queries are executed too fast? Would be interesting to see how many players on on when it happens.

Josh
Personally I think that's exactly what it is; there are probably way too many queries called within too short of a time period. Also, is there any way you could think of to speed up server changelevel time (hint: pruning feature for SQL ;-)) because I think a lot of lag issues in my server relate back to WC3FT retrieval/saving...

I asked my friend to write me an SQL script to prune my database and I am going to cron job it so it prunes my massive database.

Slmclarengt

Come play WC3:FT on BnD Clan Server! You know you want to: Connect to WC3:FT BnD - go ahead click me!
Geesu
Veteran Member
Old 12-11-2007 , 14:36   Re: "MySQL server has gone away" occurring
Reply With Quote #5

I'm working on the pruning issue right now.... I JUST added a new thread for help about it Can't figure it out