Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

NEEDED: Decent, Thorough explaination of returns?

Post New Thread Reply   

kirewv
Old 03-24-2008 , 15:04   NEEDED: Decent, Thorough explaination of returns?
Reply With Quote #1

Plugin_continue, Plugin_stop, Plugin_handled...I have read all I could find in the wiki and examples and I am still confused about when and why to use these. If someone who really understands these could explain them in laymans terms, without quoting anything from what is already written, I think many scriptors would benefit.
BAILOPAN
Old 03-24-2008 , 15:10   Re: NEEDED: Decent, Thorough explaination of returns?
Reply With Quote #2

Their use is entirely dependent on the specific callback you're working with, and most callbacks will document the functionality of each meaningful return value.

There are generalized guidelines for what they do, but in the end they're meaningless without a specific function case. And those guidelines are probably what you've read in the wiki.
Old 03-24-2008 , 16:56   Re: NEEDED: Decent, Thorough explaination of returns?
Reply With Quote #3

How about a couple of simple examples for each with detailed //notes in the code as to what happens

please
KMFrog
Old 03-24-2008 , 17:40   Re: NEEDED: Decent, Thorough explaination of returns?
Reply With Quote #4

Take the example hooked events normally sent to clients.
In this e.g. I will use kill events.

Quote:
player1<123><STEAM_0:1:2321> killed player2<456><STEAM_1:0:43433> with a toaster (headshot)
Which when hooked in code, would look like this:

Code:
public Event_PlayerDeath(Handle:event, const String:name[], bool:dontBroadcast)
{

}
When you have finished what ever you want to do with this hooked event, for example, play a sound of someone getting hit by a toaster, then you can tell sourcemod what to do to finish it all off.

In the case of Plugin_continue, SM would run your code and send the "killed" event to all the players as normal.

In the case of Plugin_handled, SM would understand that your code has handled the event, so it should not send the event to clients. If you did this in the "killed" hook, the player would still die, but none of the clients would see it on their screens.

Plugin_stop is a rare one, I think it should be used with timers and/or threads to stop them (please correct me if I'm wrong) - not typically used with events so my example is bad for this one ;]

But the same applies to all the times you can return one of these three. If its for hooking a command instead of an event and you return plugin_handled then SM understands that your code in the hooked command has handled everything and stops the original command...

I hope that clears it up a bit
Old 03-24-2008 , 19:32   Re: NEEDED: Decent, Thorough explaination of returns?
Reply With Quote #5

That is useful TY. in the last part of your post "SM understands that your code in the hooked command has handled everything and stops the original command"

stops the original command?

Do you mean just breaks out of the function when return Plugin_Handled; is in the code?
BAILOPAN
Old 03-24-2008 , 20:31   Re: NEEDED: Decent, Thorough explaination of returns?
Reply With Quote #6

returns always immediately exit the function and pass the return value to the caller

KMFrog I think you're right about Plugin_Stop, it tends to be a rare find