Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

SM built in mySQL - you using it?

Post New Thread Reply   

MjrNuT
SourceMod Donor
Old 03-11-2008 , 11:31   SM built in mySQL - you using it?
Reply With Quote #1

Is anyone using the built-in mysql or sql-lite of SourceMod?

Is the SUM Admin plugin using the SM Sql-lite or completely different one?

Sorry if these questions were posted elsewhere or very elementary, but I'm trying to determine more of the capabilities at hand w/ SM before a plugin.

As I learned of the built-in SQL for SM via the Wiki and wanted to know if anyone is actually using it w/ success. If so, kindly provide the following info:

1. Mod
2. which SM sql are you using
3. what purpose
4. how are you accessing it, modifying, etc. (e.g., console, phpmyadmin)

Thanks in advance!
BAILOPAN
Old 03-11-2008 , 11:39   Re: SM built in mySQL - you using it?
Reply With Quote #2

There is another solution as well: http://www.sourcebans.net/
Old 03-12-2008 , 03:42   Re: SM built in mySQL - you using it?
Reply With Quote #3

I am using SUM, with mysql setup.
Old 03-12-2008 , 06:16   Re: SM built in mySQL - you using it?
Reply With Quote #4

Not sure why it makes any difference other than I can say "it works"...
but I'm using it and "it works" great.

If you post more info about your plugin people can say if it can be done successfully using SM or not.
SourceMod Donor
Old 03-13-2008 , 13:36   Re: SM built in mySQL - you using it?
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocutusH View Post
I am using SUM, with mysql setup.
Wow, you have SUM working w/ a mysql setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFrog View Post
Not sure why it makes any difference other than I can say "it works"...
but I'm using it and "it works" great.

If you post more info about your plugin people can say if it can be done successfully using SM or not.
Your using the built-in databases of SM also? Or are you saying SM works for you.

I don't have an issue with a "plugin".

I asked if people are using the built-in mysql and sql-lite databases of SourceMod. And if so, what game (i.e., CSS, TF2, etc.), for what purpose (i.e., admining, stats, other, etc.), and finally (if the previous items are answered, how is the user accessing those databases (i.e., rcon, phpmyadmin, etc.).

@BAILOPAN - thanks for that suggestion. I've looked into it and I'm a bit weary of implementation.
sfPlayer
Old 03-13-2008 , 17:02   Re: SM built in mySQL - you using it?
Reply With Quote #6

There are no "built-in databases". SourceMod just provides an interface to the MySQL client library or the SQLite library and includes these.

You can use the MySQL extension to connect to an external MySQL server which can be accessed by any other MySQL client like PHPMyAdmin+PHP+PHP's MySQL extension or MySQL Administrator too.

Since SQLite only operates on files there is no server application but you can still use programs like the sqlite shell application (debian package sqlite3 afaik) to modify the database.

But in both cases you can use plain SQL sent by SourceMod's SQL_Query() etc. to create/delete/manage/access your databases, tables and data.

Last edited by sfPlayer; 03-13-2008 at 17:10.
MjrNuT
SourceMod Donor
Old 03-15-2008 , 21:51   Re: SM built in mySQL - you using it?
Reply With Quote #7

I guess my terminology is a bit different. In reading the WIKI that contains all the information regarding SM (e.g., installing, configuring, admin commands, etc.), I interpreted the sql db's that came with SM to be built-in. Meaning they were very nicely packaged with SM as well as the Wiki describing their further use if the user desired to implement. However, for someone w/ very little experience on SQL, but learning some since coming upon it, it is a bit difficult to tie the dots together.

I have seen what looks like numerous, and great plugins here that utilize a SQL. So I with the desire of picking 1 or 2 of these awesome plugins, I wanted to see if a dummy like me could use the ones that CAME with SM or not. However, to be a judge of that (and not mess my system up) I thought I'd ask who is already using them. And if they are, in what context such that I may be able to replicate their use for mine, or learn with a close match.

SO still...not one person has graciously said if they are using the SQL dbs that come with SM, for what game, and how they are accessing it.

If no one is using the SM sql's, for any reason, then does that mean they just are not adequate? or are they limited in some way? or what?

I like to try and use things that are already semi- in place. LIke the RTV, and Mapchooser plugins, in which you just move them out of the disabled folder. HOwever, this sql for SM and the instructions for the associated plugins is still just a bit out of my language......
Extreme_One
Veteran Member
Old 03-16-2008 , 08:14   Re: SM built in mySQL - you using it?
Reply With Quote #8

The question doesn't really make sense.

If a plugin uses SQL then the author can store data in a local SQLite database which is stored on your game server.
For an end user this is the easiest to configure as it requires no set up. However there is no easy way you can use the data in the database other than what the plugin itself uses it for.

If you want to be able to make use of the data from an external page, say a stats page, then the plugin author will need to make his plugin work with MySQL.
For this to work the end user will need to configure the database on their webhost and can far more easily access that data in say a stats webpage etc.

Lots of plugins make good use both methods, lots of end users are making good use of both methods.
Old 03-19-2008 , 17:05   Re: SM built in mySQL - you using it?
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_One View Post
The question doesn't really make sense.

If a plugin uses SQL then the author can store data in a local SQLite database which is stored on your game server.
For an end user this is the easiest to configure as it requires no set up. However there is no easy way you can use the data in the database other than what the plugin itself uses it for.

If you want to be able to make use of the data from an external page, say a stats page, then the plugin author will need to make his plugin work with MySQL.
For this to work the end user will need to configure the database on their webhost and can far more easily access that data in say a stats webpage etc.

Lots of plugins make good use both methods, lots of end users are making good use of both methods.
errr...ftw!!! I don't mean to be rude EO, but really. How about this, can you answer the following:

Have you implemented either SQL per this link: http://wiki.alliedmods.net/SQL_Admins_%28SourceMod%29

We'll see where to go next.
Scuzzy
Old 03-22-2008 , 14:58   Re: SM built in mySQL - you using it?
Reply With Quote #10

I believe what he is saying is that he believed that mySQL (the database engine itself) came with SourceMod. This is not the case. You must install mySQL somewhere and the configure SourceMod to connect to that database.

Scuzzy