Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Pinion Discussion Thread

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

Fearts
ferts of daeth
Old 12-08-2012 , 00:44   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Pinion just sent out a second email. It obvious they are worried many people will drop their service, as they should be.

Spoiler
Old 12-08-2012 , 01:21   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

I might be dropping pinion despite their PART II email, there's really no point to it.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-08-2012 , 02:16   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Same problem here, build up the community with these fundings to a stable one.

Losing pretty much atm 40% on Pinion counts kicks in very hard. Will need to see if i can get my gameservers

up and running.
Smarmy
Old 12-08-2012 , 02:58   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Well you have to remember too, and I've always been aware of this, that you have a lot of players simply not joining your servers or leaving once they see you're forcing them to watch an advertisement. Even if it's only 5 seconds some players just won't play on your servers due to a principle. I was willing to lose a few players that way because I knew 5 seconds just didn't affect me that much and I knew it wouldn't affect others.

However, there are a lot of players who crash even now because of the advertisements. I've had 3 or 4 people the past few days complaining about it. When I suggest they disable their HTML MOTD and they do, they then no longer crash on our servers. I've been seeing comments like "I only crash on your servers during map change" and it goes away with the HTML MOTD disabled. So, I'm just not willing to make people wait longer than 5 seconds. Combine that with the crashing issues and reported FPS drops and it's just not worth the hassle any longer.

I don't want to risk pissing so many players off and still having a very good chance we won't be paid in the first place, due to not meeting their 60%. It seems larger communities may not be impacted as much by this but our community is medium sized and I'm just not willing to risk it. I know Pinion is probably caught in a bad spot and doing what they must. They're just no longer a viable option for us.
Zephyrus
Cool Pig B)
Old 12-08-2012 , 05:00   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

pinion shall fall
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-08-2012 , 06:57   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
I would tend to agree, but the server has to be paid for somehow. Ads are a good non-intrusive way to pay for servers.
You have to remember other communities got big without using adverts and people are happy to donate. Years before pinion even came out, some communities were getting plenty of income.

I saw some people complaining ages about the TF2 quickplay not working one time. Saying their communities will die off over night if they cant get the traffic. Do they have any regulars or just relying on random traffic all the time? Thats not how to get a server populated and keep it that way. Again before TF2 quickplay, other communities managed fine.

Of course pinion was helpful in covering costs but now the rules have changed.

Last edited by Nolongerinthegame; 12-08-2012 at 07:06.
Horsedick
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-08-2012 , 09:16   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarmy View Post
Well you have to remember too, and I've always been aware of this, that you have a lot of players simply not joining your servers or leaving once they see you're forcing them to watch an advertisement. Even if it's only 5 seconds some players just won't play on your servers due to a principle. I was willing to lose a few players that way because I knew 5 seconds just didn't affect me that much and I knew it wouldn't affect others.

However, there are a lot of players who crash even now because of the advertisements. I've had 3 or 4 people the past few days complaining about it. When I suggest they disable their HTML MOTD and they do, they then no longer crash on our servers. I've been seeing comments like "I only crash on your servers during map change" and it goes away with the HTML MOTD disabled. So, I'm just not willing to make people wait longer than 5 seconds. Combine that with the crashing issues and reported FPS drops and it's just not worth the hassle any longer.

I don't want to risk pissing so many players off and still having a very good chance we won't be paid in the first place, due to not meeting their 60%. It seems larger communities may not be impacted as much by this but our community is medium sized and I'm just not willing to risk it. I know Pinion is probably caught in a bad spot and doing what they must. They're just no longer a viable option for us.
At this moment I'm awaiting to see what the configuration changes will look like and go from there but I'm with you here 100% - not sure if I intend to keep them or not and I have it running on 15 different servers so my income from them has been good but trending downward cause of the drop of TF2 players lately. I only see large spikes after a nice fat update which Valve should know by now without those updates and content additions the game will die - as it is now the updates are like a defib to a heart attack victim as it is with Pinion.
Zephyrus
Cool Pig B)
Old 12-08-2012 , 09:48   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

i dont think tf2 is declining, its more like everyone wants to make money out of running servers and there are so many that a single server only gets a few players at a time, just saying on steam stats tf2 takes the 2nd place for the most popular game on steam

Last edited by Zephyrus; 12-08-2012 at 09:50.
GIANT_CRAB
Old 12-08-2012 , 10:28   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyrus View Post
i dont think tf2 is declining, its more like everyone wants to make money out of running servers and there are so many that a single server only gets a few players at a time, just saying on steam stats tf2 takes the 2nd place for the most popular game on steam
I will be disgusted by these server owners who insist on forced advertisements.
Old 12-08-2012 , 12:18   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelioneil View Post
You have to remember other communities got big without using adverts and people are happy to donate. Years before pinion even came out, some communities were getting plenty of income.

I saw some people complaining ages about the TF2 quickplay not working one time. Saying their communities will die off over night if they cant get the traffic. Do they have any regulars or just relying on random traffic all the time? Thats not how to get a server populated and keep it that way. Again before TF2 quickplay, other communities managed fine.

Of course pinion was helpful in covering costs but now the rules have changed.
The landscape is a little different now. A lot of communities got a huge leg up on communities created before and after Quickplay. Now there are a lot of servers in general. I'd guess a lot of that happened when TF2 went F2P and the demand for more servers went up. I'm just saying, you can't compare what it was like to obtain players before the Quickplay system when there were fewer servers and today with so many communities players can latch on to after discovering them via Quickplay.

The method to getting a popular server now is grabbing their attention the first time they join your server through Quickplay so that they favorite you and come back. A lot of players I'm betting are content on just slapping that Quickplay button each time they load up. If you want to be a community that brings players back you have to do something unique. Otherwise you just risk being another Valve server that players continually pass through.

Last edited by Smarmy; 12-08-2012 at 12:19.
Closed Thread