Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Pinion Discussion Thread

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

Smarmy
Old 12-06-2012 , 21:32   Pinion Discussion Thread

With their recent changes to payouts and what is required to receive them our community is likely going to be dropping them. I was curious what everyone else using them plans to do.

Last edited by Smarmy; 05-30-2013 at 21:22.
Mitchell
~lick~
Old 12-06-2012 , 22:38   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Well since 40% of impressions were actually real impressions that is probably why they have changed it.
Smarmy
Old 12-06-2012 , 23:04   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

I'm not questioning why they changed it. I'm just asking who else will be ditching them.
Bubka3
Sir Buzz Killington, Esq.
Old 12-06-2012 , 23:14   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Can anyone provide what they changed?
Dr. McKay
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 12-06-2012 , 23:15   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Hi Everybody!
December, last month of the year – where does the time go? We have lots of important
news and announcements this month that affects everyone. So please take the time to
read this email fully.
Apologies, this email was sent on Dec 1st, however technical issues with Mailchimp meant that it didn't actually get delivered until now.

Effective 1st December 2012
For December Impressions:

Liverail

Since the beginning of time, we have been buying impressions from you, the community, on numbers out of Google’s DFP platform. We are in process of changing to the LiveRail platform. Why, you ask? Well it’s quite simple. Google’s tracking code counts every page loaded as an impression but sadly that is not what advertisers will accept. A number of players don’t have the required flash software or block our ad server, meaning we are paying for something we can’t serve an ad to, and do not get paid for. LiveRail works differently. It counts actual saleable impressions that we can use and on-sell, as opposed to all the unusable impressions Google gives us.

Payment Base Currency

Since we are an Australian based company our default currency is Aussie dollars, however the majority of communities are located across the globe. We will calculate the payment due to each community in USD; however, anyone in Australia will be paid in AUD converted at the FX rate at the end of the month.

All payments to communities above $1000 will be via a direct transfer to your bank account; this will avoid issues with communities getting their money frozen by red tape at PayPal. If you are due for a large payment, we will contact you for your bank details separately.

Effective 1st January 2013

For January impressions, we can no longer pay for impressions when people do not watch an advertisement and hence we will be calculating the rate for impressions differently. Pinion will shortly release a new version of the Pinion Plug-In that has an option to force a minimum 85% duration of an advertisement. If you enable this feature and you achieve a monthly average completion rate of 85%, your community will be paid $2.00 per 1,000 impressions as opposed to the current rate of $1.50 per 1,000 impressions. If the average completion rate is under 85%, you will still receive a rate of $1.50

Payment Terms

Unfortunately we have been put in the difficult position where we have been forced to change the payment terms to communities from 30 days to 60 days as our advertising networks are paying us in excess of 60 days. From 1st January 2013 all invoices will be generated automatically and you will be paid on the 1st of the third month from when the impressions were generated. For example, for impressions generated 1st to 31st January 2013 you would be paid on the 1st April 2013. There will be special arrangements for Australian based communities that are registered for GST and we will contact each separately.We understand this may be difficult for some communities, however, due
to continued demands on our limited resources, we have had no choice but to implement this change.

Effective 1st February 2013

For February 2013 and later impressions we must refine the way the rate is calculated for impressions: we will no longer be paying for impressions of advertisements that people don’t watch. Our advertising partners only pay us based on advertisements we serve over a particular duration and impressions from any community with less than a 60% average completion rate will not be purchased. Impressions with a completion rate between 60% and 85% we will pay for on a scale of between $0.00 and $1.50 eCPM in this view range. The good news is that we will continue to pay an eCPM rate of $2.00 for all impressions from a community that has an average completion rate of 85% or greater.

We will change the way our plugin works which will be as simple as enabling a minimum duration timer. It will be up to you, the community owner, to decide if you want this feature enabled or disabled, keeping in mind that at 85% or higher completion rate you may get paid more than currently and that’s what we want for our community partners. Some communities may decide that this is not for them and we respect that but we hope that most communities will try the new method of operating.

The latest version of the Pinion plugin is almost ready, with a whole host of new features and safeguards. It adds support for spawning additional MOTDs in Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, as well as Team Fortress 2. You the community can decide if you want an additional MOTD spawned at the start or end of a round after a predefined ‘ad-free’ duration. This means you can get additional impressions if you so choose. Under the new policy, players must remain advertisement free for a minimum of 20 minutes after the first MOTD.

These changes are incorporated in a revised GSO Agreement that you will find at
http://www.pinion.gg/pub_agreement.html. You will need toclick and accept this revised agreement which will be effective on 1st January 2013.

Thank you all for your continued support.

Last edited by Dr. McKay; 12-06-2012 at 23:17. Reason: Pretty-fied it
vodka00
Veteran Member
Old 12-07-2012 , 00:48   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

I don't force ads on my players.

cw speedruns:
Smarmy
Old 12-07-2012 , 02:17   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodka00 View Post
Good for you. That's not what this thread is about anyway so don't steer it that way. We don't force ads either. It's called a choice. You can wait a few seconds to play and help financially support the server or you can leave and/or blacklist the server. No one is forcing anything.
vodka00
Veteran Member
Old 12-07-2012 , 05:38   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarmy View Post
Good for you. That's not what this thread is about anyway so don't steer it that way. We don't force ads either. It's called a choice. You can wait a few seconds to play and help financially support the server or you can leave and/or blacklist the server. No one is forcing anything.
Sorry, I just wanted to state my pinion. Thank you for not being an asshole about this, I think that's rare.

cw speedruns:
yokanayako
Old 01-05-2013 , 23:53   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

jj
matrixmark
Old 12-07-2012 , 02:44   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodka00 View Post
for you

Forcing ads is lame... I blacklist any I come across.

If the server is good etc I donate to them but not via forced ads.

Last edited by matrixmark; 12-07-2012 at 02:55.
Closed Thread