2c
Plugin Category:
Gameplay
Plugin Game:
Left 4 Dead
Plugin Dependencies:
    Servers with this Plugin:

Plugin Description:
    Survivors can pull out their guns while on a ladder by pressing 'e'.
    Old 03-04-2018 , 10:06   [L4D2] Survivors can draw guns while on a ladder
    Reply With Quote #1

The default version of co-op is fun for a while, right? Then you might start to get bored with the limited amount of special infected around at any one time. You find a way to up the tempo, either by having them constantly respawning or by bypassing the two-at-a-time limit. Then at some point, you come to a tall ladder with a thousand AI jockeys stuck at the top and you realise: ladders are now a death sentence.

I tried looking for something to alleviate this, but could only find this thread by V1SoR. I'm sure it's much better than my meagre offering, but it requires Linux. I do not have Linux. So I made my own, extremely basic, version that should work across all operating systems. This plugin is so straightforward that I wouldn't be surprised if it actually worked for lots of games; I have tested this plugin, and will only test this plugin, in L4D2, though.

Changelog:
    v1 - initial release. Only manual mode included.
    v2 - automatic mode; survivors pull out guns when they stop on a ladder.
    - cvars; a cvar to show current version, and a cvar to change laddergun mode (0 = disabled, 1 = manual, 2 = auto).
    - now uses a .cfg (ladderguns.cfg) to store your preferred plugin mode.
    - plugin now won't load unless the game is L4D2.
    - plugin info now exists.
    v2a, b - Cravenge's fix for the tank-related bug reported by MasterMind420. Thanks, guys.
    c - No more need for the kludge, Cravenge solved my problem; I didn't realise we just go ahead and declare a MoveType variable instead of an int. D'oh.

CVars:
    ladderguns_version will show you which version you're currently running.
    ladderguns_mode changes how the plugin functions. 0 = disable plugin. 1 (default) = manual mode, press +use on a ladder to draw guns. 2 = auto mode, survivors draw their weapons when they stop moving on a ladder.

How to use:
    ladderguns_mode 1: (default)
    If a survivor is on a ladder, they can press their "use" key ("e" by default) and they will pull out their guns. They are able to use any of their items, from guns to first-aid kits. As soon as they try to move up or down the ladder, though, they will revert to normal climbing-up-ladder mode. Note: you will drop any of the prop_physics items (fireworks, petrol can, gnome, etc.) if you do this.

ladderguns_mode 2:
    If a survivor is on a ladder and they stop moving, they should draw their guns automatically. That's it.

Credits:
    I used thecount's code from here to detect movement in this plugin. Thanks!
    Cheers to Cravenge for the advice and support; some of the code they've posted in this thread is in the plugin.
    Also thanks to Silver, who suggested I put in the plugin info and game check; I used the code from their own (excellent) Fireworks plugin for this. I hope that's not too cheeky...

Installation:
    You can either download the .smx directly or compile it from l4d2_ladderguns_v2c.sp. Once you have "l4d2_ladderguns_v2c.smx", place it into your Sourcemod's plugins folder. For example, if you have Steam installed on the C: drive, this might be "C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Left 4 Dead 2\left4dead2\addons\sourcemod\plugins".

"l4d2_ladderguns.cfg" will be generated by this plugin after you run it for the first time. If you always want auto-mode on, go to where your config files are - this will be something along the lines of "C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Left 4 Dead 2\left4dead2\cfg\sourcemod\" - and change the value of ladderguns_mode to 2. To disable the plugin, use a value of 0 in this .cfg, or type "ladderguns_mode 0" in the in-game console.
    Attached Files
    File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (l4d2_ladderguns_v2c.sp - 2568 views - 4.9 KB)

Last edited by Mel Ennial; 03-13-2018 at 14:32.
    cravenge
    Veteran Member
    Old 03-04-2018 , 22:20   Re: [L4D2] Survivors can draw guns while on a ladder
    Reply With Quote #2

Sweet! Finally, Windows users get to feel what Linux users have.

One quick question, tho, I saw the source code and I was wondering why change their move type to MOVETYPE_WALK instead of reverting back to MOVETYPE_LADDER when they use their guns?

Other than that,
    Mel Ennial
    Old 03-05-2018 , 06:35   Re: [L4D2] Survivors can draw guns while on a ladder
    Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cravenge View Post
    Sweet! Finally, Windows users get to feel what Linux users have.

One quick question, tho, I saw the source code and I was wondering why change their move type to MOVETYPE_WALK instead of reverting back to MOVETYPE_LADDER when they use their guns?

Other than that,
    In all honesty? I'm not confident about the quality of my testing, and MOVETYPE_WALK seems safer in case there's something I missed. I'm thinking of being caught by an SI on the ladder or somesuch, but a specific SI in a specific situation might not properly reset a victim's movetype. A similar sort of thing to jockeys not triggering the ability_use event.

Last edited by Mel Ennial; 03-05-2018 at 06:42.
    cravenge
    Veteran Member
    Old 03-05-2018 , 08:46   Re: [L4D2] Survivors can draw guns while on a ladder
    Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mel Ennial View Post
    [...]
    Well said!

I tested it and it works fine atm.
    edwinvega86
    Old 03-05-2018 , 22:53   Re: [L4D2] Survivors can draw guns while on a ladder
    Reply With Quote #5

when climbing and standing still on the stairs the animation does not stop. good complement
    Mel Ennial
    Old 03-07-2018 , 06:29   Re: [L4D2] Survivors can draw guns while on a ladder
    Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
    Originally Posted by edwinvega86 View Post
    when climbing and standing still on the stairs the animation does not stop. good complement
    Thanks.

The weird animation bug where Bill climbs a ladder - while actually being completely still - is something that happens regardless of this plugin. I loaded the game up with no plugins other than the standard set, and Bill still does his thing. Sorry man. I put it in the same category as Zoey straight up missing certain melee animations (like crowbar) and Coach freaking out when crouching with a magnum. Maybe someone on the Workshop has fixed the animation?
    cravenge
    Veteran Member
    Old 03-07-2018 , 08:16   Re: [L4D2] Survivors can draw guns while on a ladder
    Reply With Quote #7

[L4D2] Survivor Animation Fix plugin by Deathchaos or [L4D2] Improved L4D1 Animations addon in GameMaps.

Take your pick if you want to fix problems regarding survivor animations. I recommend plugin rather than addon.

Last edited by cravenge; 03-07-2018 at 08:19.
    theproperson
    Old 03-08-2018 , 22:48   Re: [L4D2] Survivors can draw guns while on a ladder
    Reply With Quote #8

I'm not sure if its related to this plugin or just the way the game behaves. When climbing a ladder and pressing e to use a weapon, if a common jumps on top of me then I stop being able to use my weapon
    and end up being stuck until dropping off the ladder. Is there a work around to this?
    Mel Ennial
    Old 03-09-2018 , 08:25   Re: [L4D2] Survivors can draw guns while on a ladder
    Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cravenge View Post
    [L4D2] Survivor Animation Fix plugin by Deathchaos or [L4D2] Improved L4D1 Animations addon in GameMaps.

Take your pick if you want to fix problems regarding survivor animations. I recommend plugin rather than addon.
    Neat, I'd assumed this was something that could only be fixed via tweaking the actual models, so I never even looked for a plugin to solve it. Sweet!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by theproperson
    I'm not sure if its related to this plugin or just the way the game behaves. When climbing a ladder and pressing e to use a weapon, if a common jumps on top of me then I stop being able to use my weapon
    and end up being stuck until dropping off the ladder. Is there a work around to this?
    I'll try and replicate this problem. When I do, I'll edit this post, hopefully with a fix of some kind.

Edit: I haven't had much luck recreating this. I've had commons push me up/down the ladder, but so far I've not got stuck. On another note, I've got automatic ladder-gunning working to an extent; the player still has to be still on the ladder, but apart from that there's no button-press required. New version is in the original post.

Last edited by Mel Ennial; 03-09-2018 at 13:26.
    Visual77
    Veteran Member
    Old 03-09-2018 , 08:51   Re: [L4D2] Survivors can draw guns while on a ladder
    Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
    Originally Posted by theproperson View Post
    Sounds like classic l4d2, with or without this plugin (commons blocking your way up the ladder, etc).