Unable to join any servers after todays tf2 update

Post New Thread Reply   

lyric
Veteran Member
Old 05-20-2013 , 08:53   Re: Unable to join any servers after todays tf2 update
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
It would be nice if people would stop blaming SteamPipe for everything that happens.

Server crashed? SteamPipe!
Client out-of-date? SteamPipe!
Dog pooped on the carpet? SteamPipe!

Your client was out-of-date, plain and simple. SteamPipe just changed how updates are downloaded. It didn't make Steam stop updating things entirely.
erm, are you even reading what your typing?

How could it not be steampipe? My client is converted to steampipe.

I never had any client update issues prior to steampipe.

how can it NOT be steampipe? you have to be the biggest valve drone Ive ever seen. that or trolling. its hard to tell anymore
Old 05-20-2013 , 08:58   Unable to join any servers after todays tf2 update
Reply With Quote #12

Correlation is not necessarily causation. Hitler drank water, but all water-drinkers don't commit mass genocide.
Old 05-20-2013 , 10:42   Re: Unable to join any servers after todays tf2 update
Reply With Quote #13

Steampipe hasn't caused any issues for me lately but fixed ones that I've had in the past. It's been a positive benefit for me thus far and I like how you can actually categorize folders and VPK's which all load as well.
Dr_Knuckles
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-20-2013 , 12:54   Re: Unable to join any servers after todays tf2 update
Reply With Quote #14

I dont understand how this can be so hard to understand. There were TWO FUCKING UPDATES BACK TO BACK. You only got the first. I ALWAYS have to restart steam whenever an update happens, nothing has changed. You needed to restart twice that day.

The only thing anyone should be blaming steampipe for are these ignorant complaints.
Old 05-20-2013 , 14:30   Re: Unable to join any servers after todays tf2 update
Reply With Quote #15

I never had to restart Steam in the past to get an update. Everytime I loaded TF2 and if there's an update, it would download that first before I could play the game. I understand that there were several updates (I was managing my servers when the updates rolled out) and I'm also subscribed to the mailing list, but this happened 2 hours after that. My Steam only downloaded one of the updates, but it still let me load TF2 which shouldn't have been the case.

I'm not blaming Steampipe btw, in fact I love Steampipe, I just think there's something wrong.
Dr. McKay
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 05-20-2013 , 14:38   Unable to join any servers after todays tf2 update
Reply With Quote #16

Pre-SteamPipe, I noticed that it would occasionally fail to update the game if I closed it then immediately reopened it.
Old 05-20-2013 , 15:57   Re: Unable to join any servers after todays tf2 update
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donski View Post
I never had to restart Steam in the past to get an update. Everytime I loaded TF2 and if there's an update, it would download that first before I could play the game. I understand that there were several updates (I was managing my servers when the updates rolled out) and I'm also subscribed to the mailing list, but this happened 2 hours after that. My Steam only downloaded one of the updates, but it still let me load TF2 which shouldn't have been the case.

I'm not blaming Steampipe btw, in fact I love Steampipe, I just think there's something wrong.
this is exactly the point im trying to make before McKays Hitler comment.

steampipe did bring a lot of nice enhancements but it also (in my case) caused problems. you gotta put blame where it fits. i know its edgy and witty to call someone stupid and not a company like valve but realistically valve has been doing a terrible job lately. an example of this is how we are registered with quickplay and receve NO quickplay traffic at all. sure seems like they are doing good eh?

Last edited by lyric; 05-20-2013 at 15:58.
Dr. McKay
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 05-20-2013 , 16:11   Re: Unable to join any servers after todays tf2 update
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyric View Post
this is exactly the point im trying to make before McKays Hitler comment.

steampipe did bring a lot of nice enhancements but it also (in my case) caused problems. you gotta put blame where it fits. i know its edgy and witty to call someone stupid and not a company like valve but realistically valve has been doing a terrible job lately. an example of this is how we are registered with quickplay and receve NO quickplay traffic at all. sure seems like they are doing good eh?
You don't know that it was SteamPipe that caused this though. I've had the same problem a few times before SteamPipe. You're just blaming SteamPipe because it was the most recent "big" update. SteamPipe only changed how Steam downloads files. There wasn't even an update to the Steam client itself. No changes were made to when Steam updates games, only how it updates games.
Old 05-20-2013 , 16:39   Re: Unable to join any servers after todays tf2 update
Reply With Quote #19

we filthy casuals can't help but blame the new (and very much so bug ridden) steampipe update for alot of our issues. If downloading updates isnt part of steampipe that.. as you've pointed out is responsible for how files are downloaded is an error for me to blame then im sorry. i know there is alot of misplaced blame put on steampipe right now because the steam community as a whole is just terrible but im not just blindly making accusations. i literally had 0 problems with tf2 updating on its own when i'd launch the game. steampipe came and now i do. its not a convoluted network of connections being made here, its straight point A to point B.