Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[L4D2] Special Infected Warnings Vocalize Fix (NO LONGER NEEDED)

Post New Thread Reply   

Author
DeathChaos25
Plugin ID:
Plugin Version:
Plugin Category:
Gameplay
Plugin Game:
Left 4 Dead
Plugin Dependencies:
Servers with this Plugin:

Plugin Description:
Fixes the "I heard a (Insert Special Infected here)" warning lines not working for some specific Special Infected.
Old 08-24-2014 , 20:52   [L4D2] Special Infected Warnings Vocalize Fix (NO LONGER NEEDED)
Reply With Quote #1

About : This plugin aims to be a simple fix for some vocalization lines for Special Infected Warnings never being called upon.

The "I heard a (insert Infected)" lines don't work for the Boomer, Charger, Smoker, Spitter and Tanks, and this plugin uses a simple fix to make them work, regardless of whether they are implemented in the server's talker files or not.

Video Demonstration Here

How it works :
The plugin listens for any Special Infected Spawns, and if it finds one of the Specials who's line the warnings don't work for, it'll make the survivors vocalize the warnings after 2 seconds of the special having spawned.

Each survivor has a (configurable, default 1/3) chance of actually vocalizing the lines, this was done to randomize the warnings and preventing all survivors from warning at the same time (Note : In the video, the chance was hard coded to 100% for the sake of demonstration).

*Spitter and Charger lines are only implemented for the L4D2 survivors*

This plugin requires Scene Processor to compile and Scene Processor.smx to function.

CVARs :
Code:
// How many seconds must survivors wait to warn for hearing boomers again
// -
// Default: "300"
// Minimum: "1.000000"
// Maximum: "360.000000"
boomer_delay "300"

// How many seconds must survivors wait to warn for hearing chargers again
// -
charger_delay "300"

// How many seconds must survivors wait to warn for hearing smokers again
// -
smoker_delay "300"

// How many seconds must survivors wait to warn between each different special infected type
// -
// Default: "30"
// Maximum: "90.000000"
special_delay "30"

// How many seconds must survivors wait to warn for hearing spitters again
// -
spitter_delay "300"

// How many seconds must survivors wait to warn for hearing tanks again
// -
tank_delay "300"

// Chance out of 100 (i.e 25 for 25% chance) that a survivor will vocalize the 'I heard' lines upon the Infected's spawn
// -
// Default: "33"
// Maximum: "100.000000"
vocalize_chance "33"
Change Log :
Code:
Version 1.0   2014-08-24
- Initial Release

Version 1.1   2014-08-25
- Added a cvar that allows to change the chance of a vocalization warning

Version 1.2   2014-08-25
- Added HeardBoomer, HeardSmoker and HeardTank support for L4D1 Survivors

Version 1.3   2014-08-26 (50 views)
 - Added new CVARs to control the delays for how much a survivor must wait
   being able to vocalize for hearing the same special again, and another for
   how much a survivor should wait between different specials

Version 1.4   2014-09-11
- Added a check to see if a survivor isn't already vocalizing before
  attempting to warn for an infected, as not doing so would cause the
  vocalization to fail but still run the timer to delay for the next
  infected warning.
If anyone has a previous version of the plugin, please delete your l4d2_si_warnings_vocalize_fix.cfg located in "cfg/sourcemod/l4d2_si_warnings_vocalize_fix.cfg" before updating to the newer version!

Bugs :
Code:
- No bugs have been reported as of now
Note that there are now 2 versions, the Full version, and the lite version.

The full version is the zipped one, which has no extra dependencies, and the lite one, works off of an edited Modified Talker if installed on the server, note that they function the same, but the modified talker version removes all cvars and the need for a cfg file because it reads everything from Modified Talker.

Get the Modified Talker edited specifically for this plugin.

Note that it functions exactly the same, except with a few new concepts added for use in the plugin (thanks to id)

Get it here!

Edit: This plugin is no longer needed, this has officially been implemented into the game as of the Last Stand update!
Attached Files
File Type: zip l4d2_si_warnings_vocalize_fix.zip (12.6 KB, 3520 views)
File Type: zip si_warnings_fix(lite).zip (6.4 KB, 1707 views)

Last edited by DeathChaos25; 09-29-2020 at 17:35.
Sev
Veteran Member
Old 08-24-2014 , 23:29   Re: [L4D2] Special Infected Warnings Vocalize Fix
Reply With Quote #2

Very neat.
Mr. Zero
Veteran Member
Old 08-25-2014 , 04:04   Re: [L4D2] Special Infected Warnings Vocalize Fix
Reply With Quote #3

Sweet!

The only suggestion is to maybe put in convars to allow server owners to alter the frequency rate of which lines are spoken. So if server owners only want it to have 20% chance to be announced or maybe 100%, every time an SI spawns.
DeathChaos25
Old 08-25-2014 , 07:32   Re: [L4D2] Special Infected Warnings Vocalize Fix
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Sweet!

The only suggestion is to maybe put in convars to allow server owners to alter the frequency rate of which lines are spoken. So if server owners only want it to have 20% chance to be announced or maybe 100%, every time an SI spawns.
Cvar Added

Last edited by DeathChaos25; 08-25-2014 at 10:29.
Sev
Veteran Member
Old 08-25-2014 , 10:06   Re: [L4D2] Special Infected Warnings Vocalize Fix
Reply With Quote #5

I remember someone did a private plugin to fix the L4D1 survivors having this issue in the original L4D1 with the Smoker, Boomer, etc.

I suspect if you add support for them, that will be the extent of it in L4D2 as well since im not sure they actually have lines for L4D2 SI besides the names Jockey, Charger, etc.

Last edited by Sev; 08-25-2014 at 10:07.
DeathChaos25
Old 08-25-2014 , 13:38   Re: [L4D2] Special Infected Warnings Vocalize Fix
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
I remember someone did a private plugin to fix the L4D1 survivors having this issue in the original L4D1 with the Smoker, Boomer, etc.

I suspect if you add support for them, that will be the extent of it in L4D2 as well since im not sure they actually have lines for L4D2 SI besides the names Jockey, Charger, etc.
Correct, they only have the "Spotted (insert Infected)" lines for Jockey Charger and Spitter, but not the "Heard" lines.

And I plan on implementing the lines for L4D1 survivors too once I have some free time.

Last edited by DeathChaos25; 08-25-2014 at 16:33.
id5473
Old 08-25-2014 , 14:29   Re: [L4D2] Special Infected Warnings Vocalize Fix
Reply With Quote #7

Awesome thanks!
Another suggestion here to be more inline with the "working infected" would be to add timers for the different specials.
The talker files allow each individual special to be announced every 300 secs while a different special type can be announced after 30 secs have passed.

From the PlayerWarnHeardJockey Rule of a survivor talker file: ApplyContext "WarnHeardJockey:1: 300,SaidSpecialWarn:1: 30"

Last edited by id5473; 08-25-2014 at 14:31.
DeathChaos25
Old 08-25-2014 , 16:28   Re: [L4D2] Special Infected Warnings Vocalize Fix
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by id5473 View Post
Awesome thanks!
Another suggestion here to be more inline with the "working infected" would be to add timers for the different specials.
The talker files allow each individual special to be announced every 300 secs while a different special type can be announced after 30 secs have passed.

From the PlayerWarnHeardJockey Rule of a survivor talker file: ApplyContext "WarnHeardJockey:1: 300,SaidSpecialWarn:1: 30"
In theory, this should be really easy to implement, all I would have to do is create some new bools, one for each individual infected (the 300 second delay) and one for the delay between each Special warning (the 30 second delay).

These bools would be checked before vocalizing, if they equal false, the vocalize gets through, and then the bool would be set to true.

If the bool results true before trying to vocalize, the vocalize would never be initialized until the bool is set to false.

These two bools would be controlled by timers (this is where new CVARs would be applied), and after the timer is done, that bool would then be set to false again.

Of course, this is just me rambling and theorizing, I'll need to hit the wiki first before actually implementing the timers as I haven't really coded anything that would require them yet, so I don't really know exactly how they are created and called, I've just barely started coding (not SourcePawn, but coding in general) to be quite honest

But I assure you that once I learn about timers (shouldn't take too long I hope), they'll be implemented into the plugin

Last edited by DeathChaos25; 08-25-2014 at 16:34.
Sev
Veteran Member
Old 08-25-2014 , 17:12   Re: [L4D2] Special Infected Warnings Vocalize Fix
Reply With Quote #9

I kinda wonder if this sort of thing/trickery could be done to utilize things like Ro's dirty lines for the Parish Intro about Crescent City on a percentage chance.

Or the unused Melee Weapon swing sounds that would allow you to hear the other L4D2 survivor swing sounds instead of just Coach, which is what you hear from everyone when someone else uses a melee weapon.

Just speculation of course.

I know the competitive community has a plugin that was supposed to do just that with the melee swing sounds but it doesn't seem to work from what I can tell.

Not a big deal though, just throwing things out there.

Last edited by Sev; 08-25-2014 at 17:13.
DeathChaos25
Old 08-25-2014 , 17:23   Re: [L4D2] Special Infected Warnings Vocalize Fix
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
I kinda wonder if this sort of thing/trickery could be done to utilize things like Ro's dirty lines for the Parish Intro about Crescent City on a percentage chance.

Or the unused Melee Weapon swing sounds that would allow you to hear the other L4D2 survivor swing sounds instead of just Coach, which is what you hear from everyone when someone else uses a melee weapon.
To the first point, that would be as easy as adding it to the server's talker file for Rochelle, if you want it on the intro that is.

As for the melee weapon sound, (again, in theory) it would be as easy as creating a hook on the event for weapon_fired (if such an event or some variant exists) checking to see if the current weapon is a melee weapon, and then we just force the sounds to be vocalized.

Last edited by DeathChaos25; 08-25-2014 at 17:25.