Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

I'm new to scripting, where do I start?

Post New Thread Reply   

vedoi_
Old 03-02-2024 , 16:49   I'm new to scripting, where do I start?
Reply With Quote #1

Hey, I am new to scripting and I want to make my own JailBreak Mod from 0 but I don't know any coding.. Where do I start? What programming language is used? Any tips? How much time does it take to learn the programming language used?

Last edited by vedoi_; 03-02-2024 at 16:50. Reason: Added a new question.
Jhob94
AMX Mod X Donor
Old 03-02-2024 , 17:28   Re: I'm new to scripting, where do I start?
Reply With Quote #2

Well it all depends on what you want to do.
But the most important modules to learn are hamsandwich, fakemeta and cstrike. Fun module is also good for beginners.
Read some tutorials, read what functions do and build your own scripts and test them out.
If you want to create something from 0 it will take you some time to learn. Feel free to ask help on scripting help but first use always the search button as your questions are probably already answered.
Old 03-02-2024 , 17:43   Re: I'm new to scripting, where do I start?
Reply With Quote #3

It seems you skipped step number 1, 2, and 3: search, search, search.

Tutorials forum
Tutorial List
Programming for starters

Some general advice: If you do post a question in Scripting Help, you need to be making an effort to try to do things on your own and it should be obvious in your question. For example, if it's not a compilation issue, you must have tested your code in a server. Post your code. Make small test plugins for testing specific features instead of trying to do something new in a larger plugin. My test folder is full of plugins just for testing segments of code. For many functionalities, I like to create console commands that I then run from the server console (standalone HLDS) to view the result of my test code. If it's more involved with something you need to observer in-game, you can still create console command but simply join the server, bind a key to the console command, press the key and see if it works.

Debugging code on your own is going to be the biggest benefit to getting your own code working without having to wait for a response (if you even get one; the community is quite small these days) on the forums.

Last edited by fysiks; 03-02-2024 at 17:52.
Bugsy
AMX Mod X Moderator
Old 03-02-2024 , 19:57   Re: I'm new to scripting, where do I start?
Reply With Quote #4

Step 1 is to learn the syntax of the Pawn language, you cannot begin exploring what modules do (hamsandwich, fakemeta, cstrike) or begin doing anything useful until you understand how code at the highest level (syntax, formatting, structure). Pawn is somewhat similar to C for the basic syntax, but if you look for C tutorials you'll likely get needlessly confused. Hunt down the Pawn Language Guide, that may help, at the same time it may be too much but good to have in your back pocket.

I'd begin with looking at existing plugins from these forums to get a feel for how to code and then begin experimenting on your own. Download the HLDS (dedicated server) onto your PC, set up AMX-X Studio to compile locally to that, and then add a test plugin that you are working on in plugins.ini and then keep experimenting with stuff until you figure it out.

Last edited by Bugsy; 03-02-2024 at 19:59.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 03-02-2024 , 22:05   Re: I'm new to scripting, where do I start?
Reply With Quote #5

You still use AMXX Studio from 2006? I would probably recommend a modern code editor like VS Code. There is an extension called "AMXXPawn" that I use that is very helpful. It can be configured to put the compiled plugin directly into the server and then all you'd need to do is restart the server.
Old 03-02-2024 , 22:20   Re: I'm new to scripting, where do I start?
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
You still use AMXX Studio from 2006? I would probably recommend a modern code editor like VS Code. There is an extension called "AMXXPawn" that I use that is very helpful. It can be configured to put the compiled plugin directly into the server and then all you'd need to do is restart the server.
Yup, I love it. No reason for me to change, it does everything I need. I am so used to it that I do not want to transition to something else and need to re-learn a UI when AMX-X Studio does everything I need.

Last edited by Bugsy; 03-02-2024 at 22:23.
Jhob94
AMX Mod X Donor
Old 03-03-2024 , 14:35   Re: I'm new to scripting, where do I start?
Reply With Quote #7

I also consider amxx studio better for pawn.

@bugsy that part he can’t escape because he will always need amxmodx, i just pointed the 3 most essential modules to build a jb from scratch.
Old 03-03-2024 , 16:29   Re: I'm new to scripting, where do I start?
Reply With Quote #8

Someone who has never scripted shouldn't jump into making a mod. Start with basic stuff, like maybe earning extra money for making a kill, sound when headshot is made, etc. Once you understand the plugin framework, events, modules/libraries, etc., it'll be much easier to make a mod.

It's like you want to write a Windows application but you do not know any programming languages yet. Same mindset, start with basic console stuff to learn the syntax/basics, then jump into making something larger.
Old 03-03-2024 , 18:09   Re: I'm new to scripting, where do I start?
Reply With Quote #9

as for optimization, use the engine as much as you can.
Old 03-03-2024 , 18:32   Re: I'm new to scripting, where do I start?
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlibre View Post
as for optimization, use the engine as much as you can.
Never recommend engine to a beginner. I see experienced users struggling with it.