Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

plugin release: sets cl_restrict_server_commands to 0

Post New Thread Reply   

L. Duke
Veteran Member
Old 11-20-2006 , 15:33   plugin release: sets cl_restrict_server_commands to 0
Reply With Quote #1

This plugin has been blocked by a subsequent Valve srcds update.

This isn't a mms plugin, but I'm posting info here in case you're running a plugin that uses client commands and is no longer working.

I just released a plugin to set cl_restrict_server_commands to 0 on clients who have it set to 1. The plugin checks the first time a player spawns onto a team (including on map changes) and if cl_restrict_server_commands is set to 1, the plugin will change it to 0.

I've taken Roman Hatsiev's idea and added a notice to the players that the server requires running client commands. The player can then either click OK to play on that server or disconnect if they're not comfortable playing on a server that will run client commands.

Screenshot: http://x5.freeshare.us/123fs1389794.jpg
Download: http://www.lduke.com/plugins/clientcommand_reset.php

I'm hoping that since a warning is provided, Valve won't block this method in the future.

Last edited by L. Duke; 12-17-2006 at 10:31.
pizzahut
Old 11-20-2006 , 17:29   Re: plugin release: sets cl_restrict_server_commands to 0
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by L. Duke View Post
I'm hoping that since a warning is provided, Valve won't block this method in the future.
There's no point though in having server command restrictions if it's possible to write plugins which circumvent the restrictions.

Plugins for the Royston Vasey TFC server - These are UNSUPPORTED, except those which have been published at AMX Mod X.

Last edited by pizzahut; 11-20-2006 at 20:44.
]FUSION[ Gray Death
Old 11-21-2006 , 03:56   Re: plugin release: sets cl_restrict_server_commands to 0
Reply With Quote #3

Great one L.Duke!

One suggestion: Could you make it possible, to attach some more text to the MOTD via text file? I'm thinking of language speciefic instructions, how to turn the CVar off.
sslice
Old 11-21-2006 , 11:28   Re: plugin release: sets cl_restrict_server_commands to 0
Reply With Quote #4

It is good that Valve is limiting what a server can execute on a client, however cutting everything off completely is not the way to do it. Some CVARs and Commands should still be accessible by the server.
magicyan
Old 11-22-2006 , 11:09   Re: plugin release: sets cl_restrict_server_commands to 0
Reply With Quote #5

Hi all,

Nice plugin L.Duke
I have a little request :p

Could we personalize the text of MOTD ?

Bye
Serveur Test SourceMod => 77.111.201.216:27015

Tuto 'SourceMod' in french
http://www.support-cssource.info/viewtopic.php?t=184
nixrevol
Old 11-23-2006 , 12:55   Re: plugin release: sets cl_restrict_server_commands to 0
Reply With Quote #6

I know they run on the same engine but does or should this work with DoDS? I have loaded it on to my linux box, restarted the server and I still get kicked by cvarX if i'm using cl_restrict_server_commands 1.
sorry if it's a stupid question.
Regards Nick.
raaka-arska
Old 11-24-2006 , 13:37   Re: plugin release: sets cl_restrict_server_commands to 0
Reply With Quote #7

Good work, Duke.

Would it be possible to change cl_restrict_server_commands to 0 and open the info window even before the regular MOTD window (and before team selection)? How about allowing the connecting client to alternatively click 'cancel' and be disconnected automatically?
FlyingMongoose
Veteran Member
Old 11-24-2006 , 18:06   Re: plugin release: sets cl_restrict_server_commands to 0
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixrevol View Post
I know they run on the same engine but does or should this work with DoDS? I have loaded it on to my linux box, restarted the server and I still get kicked by cvarX if i'm using cl_restrict_server_commands 1.
sorry if it's a stupid question.
Regards Nick.
This plugin enforces the cvar AFTER the client has joined a team. Cvar-X actually does it's consistency check as the clients connect. Until the plugins like zblock and cvar-x actually update for support to work with this plugin.
L. Duke
Veteran Member
Old 11-24-2006 , 21:52   Re: plugin release: sets cl_restrict_server_commands to 0
Reply With Quote #9

As FlyingMongoose said, the MOTD window has to wait until the real MOTD window and team choice menu is over so it can't set the value earlier. Sorry.

The other question I'm getting is about personalizing the MOTD. There is a limit of 255 bytes for the user message sending the motd window using the method I used. Some of that is taken up by the protocol, so the message that's there is as long as it can be.

Reports are that Valve is working on some server settings that will be similar to zBlock or cvarx, so I don't want to spend too much time on this plugin for additional requests as it will probably be unnecessary soon.
FlyingMongoose
Veteran Member
Old 11-25-2006 , 00:32   Re: plugin release: sets cl_restrict_server_commands to 0
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by L. Duke View Post
I don't want to spend too much time on this plugin for additional requests as it will probably be unnecessary soon.
MOSTLY

Valve in some instances will ignore many of the requests of server administrators, and some plugin writers. It's just the fact that TUF specifically pointed out the exploitable properties of each cvar is why they listened.