Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

What should I put on the server?

Post New Thread Reply   

TheNewt
Donor
Old 07-30-2007 , 15:31   Re: What should I put on the server?
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
I want to know the public's opinion on which kind of servers people would like..
Why ask us then? We aren't the people that want to play on your server. Ask on your server.
P4rD0nM3
Veteran Member
Old 07-30-2007 , 21:25   Re: What should I put on the server?
Reply With Quote #12

He just ignored us...
TheNewt
Donor
Old 07-31-2007 , 14:55   Re: What should I put on the server?
Reply With Quote #13

Annoying, isn't it?
SubStream
Veteran Member
Old 07-31-2007 , 20:19   Re: What should I put on the server?
Reply With Quote #14

I've hosted many different types of servers. Of all the various types I'd rank them in the following according to traffic I received:

1. 24/7 surf servers I hosted (especially surf_egypt and surf_water-run)
2. Pokemod server - but people who join are usually younger and more annoying than other servers (odd coincidence? I think not)
3. de_dust2 24/7 server - Right now I'm running one of these with a scrim 24/7 mod I wrote for myself. I've also had success running 24/7 dust2 servers where I used Cheap_Suit's Reviver's Kit and the Under Cover Ops plugin where you can steal the other teams "clothes" and look like them to go under cover. The server filled up more than it is now.
4. Other 24/7 map servers - aim_ak-colt with no crossing and auto respawn, as well as weapon remover on death or scoutzknivez with auto-respawn and weapon remover on death (by VEN) will fill up on a daily basis but these maps get boring really quick for the owner--but people enjoy them and play them for hours on end. cs_assault_upc was successful and cs_office was too--but I like dust2 better and dust2 gets more traffic.
5. soccerjam - this is a fun mod but it's hard to get a decent following because there are so many freaking soccerjam servers already
6. Misc fun maps etc. - Again--hard to get a following because there are so many fun servers.

All in all, if you like surfing then run a surf server. Even when I was offline I'd check HLSW at all hours of the day/night and it would be full. Use the trail plugin, spawn protection, and any other fun ones. The jetpack is fun to use in surf maps too because then you can fly backwards on a surf map and kill each other. It makes for a fun time.

If you don't like surfing I suggest whatever you do pick a map and stick there 24/7. Generally speaking, the easiest way to pull traffic to your server is to keep it simple and do the same thing all the time. People rarely want to play the same kind of mod all the time which will make it boring for you--but when people are looking to play that specific map they'll know your server is always on it and will join. This is one sure way to get lots of regs in the server. It becomes tedious and boring for you sometimes--but the traffic to your server will be greater.

Anymore questions contact me in PM.

Last edited by SubStream; 07-31-2007 at 20:22.
TheNewt
Donor
Old 07-31-2007 , 20:24   Re: What should I put on the server?
Reply With Quote #15

Substream is right, but instead of just you picking random plugins to play for a while, you could write/find a plugin that allows players in game to vote which plugin to activate for the next map. Lets say you run de_dust 24/7, it runs each de_dust map for an hour, each time players can vote between no-mod, superhero mod, or wc3 mod. That would be semi-cool
SubStream
Veteran Member
Old 07-31-2007 , 20:33   Re: What should I put on the server?
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticDeath View Post
Substream is right, but instead of just you picking random plugins to play for a while, you could write/find a plugin that allows players in game to vote which plugin to activate for the next map. Lets say you run de_dust 24/7, it runs each de_dust map for an hour, each time players can vote between no-mod, superhero mod, or wc3 mod. That would be semi-cool
That's a neat idea and may catch on with the "fun mod" crowd. My personal opinion is less is more. The more crap you have (i. e. binds for people to do--files to download---etc.) the less people join or stay---

exceptions to this?

If you have lots of friends/clan members/you play CS a lot then your server has a much greater potential to fill up. However, just based on map set/plugins chosen the above information I provided is based upon my history running servers over the past 2 years.

24/7 dust2 means it stays on dust2 the whole time so there wouldn't be a map change to vote for plugins but if you were to be on a map rotation that may catch on for some crowds of people.
TheNewt
Donor
Old 07-31-2007 , 20:35   Re: What should I put on the server?
Reply With Quote #17

Very true. When I did have my server a year ago, I wrote everything in it myself, since I did I just asked frequent players what they wanted in the server.

Edit: Also what is very fun is fy_snow or w/e that one small snow map, with CSDM and that one mod that lets you jump once in mid air. Man that was hella-fun
george7004
Old 08-01-2007 , 16:17   Re: What should I put on the server?
Reply With Quote #18

I asked here because I wanted to get opinions on whats better... I couldn't ask the people on the server because well I wasn't really getting any....

Thank you for the suggestions everybody.