Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?

Post New Thread Reply   

Lannister
Veteran Member
Old 07-10-2018 , 12:38   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejziponken View Post
Okay, well i guess u borrow it without permission (while u playing on the server)....
But the item doesn't really exist, is not real, it's fake, so how i'm borrowing something that doesn't even exist?

Last edited by Lannister; 07-10-2018 at 12:41.
Ejziponken
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-10-2018 , 12:48   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannister View Post
But the item doesn't really exist, is not real, it's fake, so how i'm borrowing something that doesn't even exist?

Valve has copyright of the art and models etc they created for this game and you are using it without their permission. You cant argue against that. I guess it comes down to copyright infringement.

"Copyright infringement is the use of works protected by copyright law without permission, infringing certain exclusive rights granted to the copyright holder, such as the right to reproduce, distribute, display or perform the protected work, or to make derivative works. The copyright holder is typically the work's creator, or a publisher or other business to whom copyright has been assigned. Copyright holders routinely invoke legal and technological measures to prevent and penalize copyright infringement."
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 07-10-2018 , 13:21   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proz View Post
I mean, you could say it's sourcemods fault as well then... Why even have the option to disable "FollowCSGOServerGuidelines" ?
Because SourceMod is open source and extremely easy for anyone and their cat to build themselves (seriously, try it one day - the instructions are simple to follow and the tools are all free).

If we didn't have an option, someone would fork SourceMod and without all our checks and distribute their own binaries.

And we would end up stuck supporting their custom fork.

And as we got better at picking up on people asking for support against unofficial builds.

People would get better at hiding the fact they're using unofficial builds (anyone involved in AMXX could tell you about this at length in regards to DProto).

We already see this today with the fact that SourceMod doesn't let people block the 'sm plugins' client-side command, and that is something that people don't feel very strongly about at all.

That said, we now have tonnes of direct memory editing capability directly from SourcePawn (which caused most of the 'sm plugins' custom forks to die off already and more and more people blocking the command...), so it is bloody trivial to remove any restrictions we add in place (just as it is to remove / work around anything Valve do in the server binary). Within a week the popular "illegal" plugins would just inline their own patches.

There are a metric fuck tonne of skilled programmers and reverse engineers in the community, and more and more of them will happily sell their morals down the drain - no server-side restriction will stand against the mountain of advertising dollars available to break it.
Old 07-10-2018 , 13:38   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejziponken View Post
So... one single server? Yeah, you really proved it was viable! Why not look at the total list of servers on gametracker and then decide if not having weapon skins will allow your servers to be populated?

Last edited by ghostofmybrain; 07-10-2018 at 13:42.
Notifications
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-10-2018 , 13:57   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelipoika View Post
Why do you continue to run servers for people that do not care about your servers?
They actually do care, we have people who have been asking to donate without any benefits other than VIP tag ingame and a VIP Discord Rank, plus they report users with the server name + some evidence if they can get it. They really do care, if the servers have any issues they report it to us. Even during the Panorama stuff they were telling me that Sourcemod had been updated. We don't offer reserved slots either.

Last edited by Notifications; 07-10-2018 at 13:58.
Pelipoika
Veteran Member
Old 07-10-2018 , 14:05   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notifications View Post
They actually do care, we have people who have been asking to donate without any benefits other than VIP tag ingame and a VIP Discord Rank, plus they report users with the server name + some evidence if they can get it. They really do care, if the servers have any issues they report it to us. Even during the Panorama stuff they were telling me that Sourcemod had been updated. We don't offer reserved slots either.
If your players are so quick to abandon ship as soon as you remove some knife plugin i don't think they care about your server
Old 07-10-2018 , 14:14   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #57

Quote:
If your players are so quick to abandon ship as soon as you remove some knife plugin i don't think they care about your server
The problem is that people will abandon a server that is empty. Let's say there's four types of people in this game - (A) people who only play valve servers, (B) people who only play where they can play with skins, (C) people who just want to hop into a quick game on a good server (ie not a valve server), and (D) people who want to be part of a CS community.

The people who are willing to donate to Notifications's server are group D. They are (by my guess), about 1-5% of the CS population. Group D cannot be sustained on an empty server.

However, and empty server cannot be filled by 1-5% of the CS population. You cannot convince group A to come to your server - they just don't care. Group C will only come to your server if it is nearly full, because they just want a quick game before they have to do X. The only other group of people you can cater to is group B.

If group B disappears, group C and D will as well, under the current system. That doesn't mean group D never cared. It just means they don't want to help support an empty server. Group C will just go to a server that does have skins and is almost full, and D will have a gaping hole in their heart and possibly spend a few months grinding a rank on Overwatch before coming back to CS:GO and never touching community servers again to avoid that heartbreak.

Valve needs to do something to make group B disappear completely. Then they can either give up on the game (this is what I think will happen - I believe the vast majority of group B is in the 10-14 year old range and they'll probably just go back to fortnite or the current game du jour. And to be fair, the current membership of group B is not the same as it was last week), they'll go to Valve servers (some of them may keep playing the game, let's be honest), or they may join group C.

But the good thing that it would do for server owners is it would reduce the profitability of owning a server, which would reduce the number of servers that exist, which would allow that 1-5% of the gaming community to congregate with more density in the servers that remain. This in turn would allow server operators the opportunity to focus on diversifying their community to attract the exact members they want (because their server isn't being drowned out by a billion cookie-cutter skin servers, and the 1-5% of the population can actually find them now), and will strengthen the community into what it was in CS:S. Hundreds and hundreds of full, active, diverse communities with something to offer and people willing to donate to help support them.

This will not if Group B continues to exist.

Last edited by ghostofmybrain; 07-10-2018 at 14:20.
Pelipoika
Veteran Member
Old 07-10-2018 , 14:29   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofmybrain View Post
The problem is that people will abandon a server that is empty. Let's say there's four types of people in this game - (A) people who only play valve servers, (B) people who only play where they can play with skins, (C) people who just want to hop into a quick game on a good server (ie not a valve server), and (D) people who want to be part of a CS community.

The people who are willing to donate to Notifications's server are group D. They are (by my guess), about 1-5% of the CS population. Group D cannot be sustained on an empty server.

However, and empty server cannot be filled by 1-5% of the CS population. You cannot convince group A to come to your server - they just don't care. Group C will only come to your server if it is nearly full, because they just want a quick game before they have to do X. The only other group of people you can cater to is group B.

If group B disappears, group C and D will as well, under the current system. That doesn't mean group D never cared. It just means they don't want to help support an empty server. Group C will just go to a server that does have skins and is almost full, and D will have a gaping hole in their heart and possibly spend a few months grinding a rank on Overwatch before coming back to CS:GO and never touching community servers again to avoid that heartbreak.

Valve needs to do something to make group B disappear completely. Then they can either give up on the game (this is what I think will happen - I believe the vast majority of group B is in the 10-14 year old range and they'll probably just go back to fortnite or the current game du jour. And to be fair, the current membership of group B is not the same as it was last week), they'll go to Valve servers (some of them may keep playing the game, let's be honest), or they may join group C.

But the good thing that it would do for server owners is it would reduce the profitability of owning a server, which would reduce the number of servers that exist, which would allow that 1-5% of the gaming community to congregate with more density in the servers that remain. This in turn would allow server operators the opportunity to focus on diversifying their community to attract the exact members they want (because their server isn't being drowned out by a billion cookie-cutter skin servers, and the 1-5% of the population can actually find them now), and will strengthen the community into what it was in CS:S. Hundreds and hundreds of full, active, diverse communities with something to offer and people willing to donate to help support them.

This will not if Group B continues to exist.
If your server is an enjoyable experience people will play on it, that seems obivious to me and has been my experience in TF2, if a knife plugin is the only thing that makes your server fun for people, your server propably was never that great to begin with. Having an unique server is not enough, people also need to enjoy whatever you have in there that is supposedly unique. User experience matters alot.
Old 07-10-2018 , 14:41   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #59

GSLT must be cancelled. Uselessness complicating life.

Main owner of the CMGPORTAL.CZ.
---------------------------------------
My plugins:
[CS:GO] Panorama - Timeleft
[CS:GO] JailBreak - Be quiet, please!
Notifications
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-10-2018 , 14:59   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #60

Quote:
I mean, if they're going to be donating and shit for having !ws etc then I guess whatever keeps them happy, I find it fun to work on the servers and they give me a reason if they want some new stuf. I can see where you're coming from but not much can really do about it, people like having skins, unfortunate as is.