Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Need help compiling mod .so

Post New Thread Reply   

Subject
Old 11-21-2013 , 20:30   Need help compiling mod .so
Reply With Quote #1

Hey, a friend and I have started a project for a server plugin for CS GO. We're trying to go stock -- no MetaMod, no AMX, no nothing, just our own vanilla plugin compiled against valve's SDK. We're running a 32-bit Ubuntu VM for our test bed with Arch Linux (x64) as a host. We have successfully installed the source dedicated server, the steam client runtime, and the 2013 Source SDK. In the SDK, there is a sample server plugin that valve provides. All we wish to do is compile either of the two files in that folder, since we really can't get any work done with the server plugin without being able to compile it. The problem we're running into is one of dependencies. It seems like VALVE was very schizophrenic in the way they organized their header/include files, and some of their files reference tertiary includes that aren't even provided with the SDK. Basically, all I'm asking for is a command line argument that we could run with a default, barebones setup of the SDK and runtime that will give us a valid .so. We've been using gcc with the paramaters -shared -o libraryname.so filename.cpp (along with a bunch of others we've tried). Is there a particular way these directories must be set up? Is there a particular path we should be running gcc from? This seems to be the last link in the chain for us to get the plugin part of the project underway. Just to make sure we could get a .so to load into the server, I did successfully get the metamod plugin running on our machine. So, would anyone mind helping us compile this .so?
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-22-2013 , 03:04   Re: Need help compiling mod .so
Reply With Quote #2

...you know that CS:GO is a Source game, so MetaMod and AMX have nothing to do with it? MetaMod: Source and SourceMod do, though.

Anyway, the problem with the Source SDK 2013 is that it reflects the current code of Portal 1 (sp) and Team Fortress 2 (mp)... but Valve has continued to make changes in their newer games.

This is why AlliedModders has created reverse-engineered SDKs for Valve's multiplayer games... obviously the one you'll want is hl2sdk-csgo.
Old 11-22-2013 , 15:05   Re: Need help compiling mod .so
Reply With Quote #3

Ah. So, what I'm hearing is that the Source SDK 2013 isn't being "kept up to date" (rather, it has been branched and the public does not have access to said branch), and that any and all mods that wish to work with a cs go server must either be compiled against the hl2sdk-csgo, or do their own reverse engineering of Valve's code? My apologies. We were hoping to use Valve's resources since we figured they'd be less likely to be orphaned and more likely to be promptly updated , but I guess I couldn't have been more wrong. I guess I'll go read one of the many tutorials here then, try to get a sample project compiling. Thanks a bunch, I've been stuck since this roadblock, and haven't done any development on it since.

Last edited by Subject; 11-22-2013 at 15:07.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-22-2013 , 15:14   Re: Need help compiling mod .so
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subject View Post
Ah. So, what I'm hearing is that the Source SDK 2013 isn't being "kept up to date" (rather, it has been branched and the public does not have access to said branch), and that any and all mods that wish to work with a cs go server must either be compiled against the hl2sdk-csgo, or do their own reverse engineering of Valve's code? My apologies. We were hoping to use Valve's resources since we figured they'd be less likely to be orphaned and more likely to be promptly updated , but I guess I couldn't have been more wrong.
The issue here is that Valve is actively maintaining more than one branch of the game engine.

They are...
SDK 2013 - This is the current public version of the SDK, replacing SDK 2007. The SP version isn't really being updated. The MP version is being updated by the Team Fortress 2 team, but is slightly behind where TF2's latest update (released yesterday) is.
Left 4 Dead - Still being maintained by the L4D2 team. Recently updated with the Expanded Mutation System for L4D2.
Portal 2 - Being maintained by the CS:GO and DOTA 2 teams. As far as I can tell, this is also the actively updated single player branch.

Of course, the problem is that the public version is only SDK2013.

Note: This is ignoring what third parties, such as Garry's Mod, are doing with the engine.