Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Solved Can I store information in player entity?

Post New Thread Reply   

XSlayer
Old 07-26-2022 , 15:41   Re: Can I store information in player entity?
Reply With Quote #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
I hear where he's coming from and usually push the same mindset, more efficient is always better. But we're talking about setting some attribute/value to an iuser field, which would take a large number of executions back to back to make engine provide a noticeable difference. Not worthy of a statement like "nope, engine>>>>>fakemeta"
is not just iuser, if u compare all the natives, u will notice that engine is better than fakemeta in everyone, now imagine if u make a plugin full o fakemeta natives and other with engine, fakemeta will use 2-4 times of memory than engine, now imagine the plugins run in a server with 8-16 players, everyone and everybody will run the plugin, and wich is better to run? the engine of course

as I said, I no longer have anything to prove, the arguments are on the table, if someone does not want to bother to read and compare it is not my problem, and it has nothing to do with the quality of the PC, because the engine of the game will remain the same and its ability

and i didnt just say "nope, engine>>>>>fakemeta", i give valid arguments, facts and statistics of why

Last edited by XSlayer; 07-26-2022 at 15:52.
Bugsy
AMX Mod X Moderator
Old 07-26-2022 , 16:14   Re: Can I store information in player entity?
Reply With Quote #22

I'm speaking about the context/perspective of this thread/what the OP is doing.
Old 07-26-2022 , 16:23   Re: Can I store information in player entity?
Reply With Quote #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
I'm speaking about the context/perspective of this thread/what the OP is doing.
u just know that he wants to use iuser, thats all, u dont know how is the plugin coded, or where is setting iuser, anyway, what i said is true, engine is better than fakemeta,and you have not given me valid arguments, or statistics as to why it is not so, I do not see the point in continuing to argue
EFFx
Veteran Member
Old 07-26-2022 , 17:21   Re: Can I store information in player entity?
Reply With Quote #24

This shouldn't be started anyway, the difference is too small to care about.

• Discord: EFFEXo#8850 • Steam: EFFEXo
Bugsy
AMX Mod X Moderator
Old 07-26-2022 , 17:25   Re: Can I store information in player entity?
Reply With Quote #25

Engine is marginally faster but it would not make a difference in the majority of plugins. What if he coded his plugin in fakemeta and now is thinking he needs to redo things just because you said fakemeta is slow and engine is lightning fast -- it's not worth it as the difference would not be noticeable unless you are calling the functions an insane amount of times. We aren't using CPU's from 1980 or using 256kb of RAM anymore. I understand you have proof in the thread from 13 years ago, I'm curious if that still holds true.

Again, I completely support coding things efficiently, but we're splitting hairs here with pev() vs entity_get_stuff(), etc.
Old 07-27-2022 , 00:21   Re: Can I store information in player entity?
Reply With Quote #26

Xslayer, no one has doubts that engine is faster, Bugsy is trying to say that optimization should take place when you are facing engine becoming bottleneck of your program. Until that happens you are free to use lib you are familiar with or the one that the code heavily depends on. There is a problem in programming called premature optimization (I am not sure about saying it right in English).

I am not using any of these because I noticed the value is not persistent during the map. Not even I have to set it each round, I can not do this at new round event. It works for me only when I set it at player spawn which is quite late for my use cases. I am using multi forward now to notify dependent plugins of all updates and it is awesome feature. I wish I knew it before)

Last edited by damage220; 07-27-2022 at 03:22.
wilian159
Old 07-27-2022 , 11:26   Re: Can I store information in player entity?
Reply With Quote #27

your perfectionism won't get you anywhere, it will only be late
Old 07-28-2022 , 00:50   Re: Can I store information in player entity?
Reply With Quote #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilian159 View Post
your perfectionism won't get you anywhere, it will only be late
Story of my life! lol