Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[Maths] Given 2 points, retrieve a point between them

Post New Thread Reply   

Blinx
Old 07-14-2022 , 15:40   [Maths] Given 2 points, retrieve a point between them
Reply With Quote #1

Hey there, I'm having trouble with a maths problem that I don't know how to put into code, hopefully this diagram helps explain what I'm looking for.

I have 2 points, Point A and Point B, I want to travel along the line between them for a set amount of distance and then retrieve Point C. I can get the angle of this line no problem, I just don't know how to travel a set distance along it. It'd be like a TraceRay except you use a vector and travel along it a fixed distance and retrieve the end point.

Thanks for your time.
eyal282
Veteran Member
Old 07-14-2022 , 15:43   Re: [Maths] Given 2 points, retrieve a point between them
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Hey there, I'm having trouble with a maths problem that I don't know how to put into code, hopefully this diagram helps explain what I'm looking for.

I have 2 points, Point A and Point B, I want to travel along the line between them for a set amount of distance and then retrieve Point C. I can get the angle of this line no problem, I just don't know how to travel a set distance along it. It'd be like a TraceRay except you use a vector and travel along it a fixed distance and retrieve the end point.

Thanks for your time.
I don't understand about this topic at all, but through sheer copy paste power my Useful Commands plugin does something almost identical:

Teleports you to a target position on where I aim, and if you're stuck, teleports you backwards across the angle of my aim until you're not stuck

https://github.com/eyal282/Useful-Co...fulCommands.sp

sm_blink

Discord: Eyal282#1334
Blinx
Old 07-14-2022 , 16:43   Re: [Maths] Given 2 points, retrieve a point between them
Reply With Quote #3

Hey there, thanks for the pointer, I've made a solution from it that works reasonably well, it only slightly falls short because the distance is a scalevector created from angles, so the distance is fairly inconsistent, but it generally works. Thanks.

Edit: Actually, with normalizing the vector and scaling it by a greater amount it gives a much more consistent result, cheers!

Last edited by Blinx; 07-14-2022 at 19:19.
nosoop
Veteran Member
Old 07-14-2022 , 21:13   Re: [Maths] Given 2 points, retrieve a point between them
Reply With Quote #4

If you have the two points A and B and need a distance L along the line from the start, you'd want to create a vector from B - A, then normalize and scale by L.

If you have one point A and an angle, get the forward unit vector from the angle (in SourceMod you'd use GetAngleVectors), then scale that by L.
eyal282
Veteran Member
Old 07-15-2022 , 10:15   Re: [Maths] Given 2 points, retrieve a point between them
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Hey there, thanks for the pointer, I've made a solution from it that works reasonably well, it only slightly falls short because the distance is a scalevector created from angles, so the distance is fairly inconsistent, but it generally works. Thanks.

Edit: Actually, with normalizing the vector and scaling it by a greater amount it gives a much more consistent result, cheers!
Nice, but as promised I have no clue what you said

Discord: Eyal282#1334