Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[HOW TO] Retrieve random values from an array without retreiving the same twice

Post New Thread Reply   

PvtSmithFSSF
Old 07-23-2008 , 22:47   Re: [HOW TO] Retrieve random values from an array without retreiving the same twice
Reply With Quote #11

X-olent you rock
Lee
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-24-2008 , 05:00   Re: [HOW TO] Retrieve random values from an array without retreiving the same twice
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-olent View Post
retrieve would also have to be a constant number.
I haven't said anything really stupid for a while. I guess it was due.
Veteran Member
Old 05-10-2009 , 20:41   Re: [HOW TO] Retrieve random values from an array without retreiving the same twice
Reply With Quote #13

This line is nice:

PHP Code:
for( new rand random(total); count retrieverand random(total) ) 
About the rest:

You dont need to re-sort the initial array since if you want to get a random group of players you wont use it anymore. So you can do it like this:
PHP Code:
{

selected[count++] = players[rand];    

players[rand] = player[--total]

Old 05-10-2009 , 21:15   Re: [HOW TO] Retrieve random values from an array without retreiving the same twice
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquimandrade View Post
PHP Code:
{

It's really annoying for me to process this with my feeble brain, so I'm going to outline an example for myself (and others that want to understand the code).

EDIT: the below has been fixed

Simplified:

Code:
new players[3] = {1,2,3} new selected[3] new count = 0 new retrieve = 3 new total = 3 // random(3) returns 0, 1, or 2 for( new rand = random(total); count < retrieve; rand = random(total) ) {     selected[count++] = players[rand];        players[rand] = players[--total] } /* Here we go! ITERATION 1 rand = 2, count = 0 and 0 < 3, (rand can be 0, 1, or 2) selected[count] = players[rand], selected[0] = players[2], so selected[0] = 3 count = 1 total = 2 players[rand] = players[total], players[2] = players[2], so players[2] = 3 ITERATION 2 rand = 1, count = 1 and 1 < 3, (rand can be 0 or 1) selected[count] = players[rand], selected[1] = players[1], so selected[1] = 2 count = 2 total = 1 players[rand] = players[total], players[1] = players[1], so players[1] = 2 ITERATION 3 rand = 0, count = 2 and 2 < 3, (rand can be 0) selected[count] = players[rand], selected[2] = players[0], so selected[2] = 1 count = 3 total = 0 players[rand] = players[total], players[0] = players[0], so players[0] = 1 END count = 3 and 3 < 3 is false selected is {3,2,1} */

Unless I've overlooked something, selected[2] ends with the same value as selected[0], so this code won't work.

Last edited by stupok; 05-10-2009 at 22:19.
joaquimandrade
Veteran Member
Old 05-10-2009 , 21:23   Re: [HOW TO] Retrieve random values from an array without retreiving the same twice
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupok View Post
It's really annoying for me to process this with my feeble brain, so I'm going to outline an example for myself (and others that want to understand the code).

Simplified:

Code:
new players[3] = {1,2,3} new selected[3] new count = 0 new retrieve = 3 new total = 3 // random(3) returns 0, 1, or 2 for( new rand = random(total); count < retrieve; rand = random(total) ) { selected[count++] = players[rand];
players[rand] = players[--total] } /* Here we go! ITERATION 1 rand = 2, count = 0 and 0 < 3 selected[count] = players[rand], selected[0] = players[2], so selected[0] = 3 count = 1 total = 2 players[rand] = players[total], players[2] = players[2], so players[2] = 3 ITERATION 2 rand = 1, count = 1 and 1 < 3 selected[count] = players[rand], selected[1] = players[1], so selected[1] = 2 count = 2 total = 1 players[rand] = players[total], players[1] = players[1], so players[1] = 2 ITERATION 3 rand = 2, count = 2 and 2 < 3 selected[count] = players[rand], selected[2] = players[2], so selected[2] = 3
count = 3 total = 0 players[rand] = players[total], players[2] = players[0], so players[2] = 1 END count = 3 and 3 < 3 is false */

Unless I've overlooked something, selected[2] ends with the same value as selected[0], so this code won't work.
The total is decreasing so in the last iteration you can't have random = 2. It will be always 0.

Edit: I mean, it will always be 0 when the initial total = retrieve

Last edited by joaquimandrade; 05-10-2009 at 21:52.
stupok
Veteran Member
Old 05-10-2009 , 22:04   Re: [HOW TO] Retrieve random values from an array without retreiving the same twice
Reply With Quote #16

So, I did overlook something. Damn, this code is good.
Old 05-11-2009 , 01:03   Re: [HOW TO] Retrieve random values from an array without retreiving the same twice
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquimandrade View Post
PHP Code:
{

Instead of a kind of "ugly" for loop, I prefer:

PHP Code:
new rand;
do {

rand random(total);

players[rand] = player[--total];
}
while( 
count retrieve 
It's purely stylistic but IMO it looks much better.
Send a message via AIM to Emp` Send a message via MSN to Emp` Send a message via Yahoo to Emp` Send a message via Skype™ to Emp`
joaquimandrade
Veteran Member
Old 05-11-2009 , 01:19   Re: [HOW TO] Retrieve random values from an array without retreiving the same twice
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emp` View Post
Instead of a kind of "ugly" for loop, I prefer:

PHP Code:
new rand;
do {

rand random(total);

players[rand] = player[--total];
}
while( 
count retrieve 
It's purely stylistic but IMO it looks much better.
I was thinking about that and in fact it is better like that. With the for loop it is done a unnecessary rand = random(total) in the end of the final iteration.
Old 05-15-2009, 19:56
[ --<-@ ] Black Rose
This message has been deleted by [ --<-@ ] Black Rose.
jediZEr0
Old 05-17-2009 , 07:49   Re: [HOW TO] Retrieve random values from an array without retreiving the same twice
Reply With Quote #19

How can I move the players with the retrieved IDs to a team?
Exolent[jNr]
Veteran Member
Old 05-17-2009 , 12:57   Re: [HOW TO] Retrieve random values from an array without retreiving the same twice
Reply With Quote #20

If you are using Counter-Strike, you can use the cs_set_user_team() native.
http://www.amxmodx.org/funcwiki.php
http://www.amxmodx.org/funcwiki.php?...team&go=search
I love you exolent!