Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Ham_TakeDamage on custom entities

Post New Thread Reply   

hornet
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 05-06-2012 , 06:36   Ham_TakeDamage on custom entities
Reply With Quote #1

Okay, I've asked a similar question to this before, which didn't get a successful answer. I did find another way around this issue, which I'll get to later.

Quote:
PHP Code:
#include <amxmodx>
#include <fakemeta>
#include <hamsandwich>

new myStr;
public 
plugin_init()
{

myStr engfuncEngFunc_AllocString"info_target" );

register_clcmd"make_entity""cmdMakeEntity" );

RegisterHam(Ham_TakeDamage"damageHook""MyEntityClass"); // Error!
}
public 
cmdMakeEntityid )
{
  new 
ent engfuncEngFunc_CreateEntitymyStr );

set_peventpev_classname"MyEntityClass" );

// ...

That will not work, because the class "MyEntityClass" is not native to the gamedll. Instead, you would need to hook TakeDamage for "info_target", and do some form of parsing on the entities that get passed to it (such as checking classname), if you want to deal with custom entity hooking.
Article found here: http://wiki.amxmodx.org/HamSandwich_...age_(AMX_Mod_X)

Obviously you can't directly hook damage to a custom class name because it will error straight away. However, this certain piece says that entity damage can be hooked by hooking damage on "info_target". I've tried the example code and editted it to hook to "info_target", but as soon as the entity is created it errors saying "invalid entity <#>" . That's because the second argument is supposed to be a string right? Or is it that this particular idea won't work altogether?
So I removed that whole part where you assign a global variable. With the basic hook to info_target ( and I removed the part in my code where I assign the entity a class name ), the hook still appears to be failing.

Since there is going to be only one weapon type used to fire at these custom entities, I know that I can use Ham_Weapon_PrimaryAttack and then get_user_aiming() to find the entity. But I figured that if I wanted to use all weapons ( then having to register them all ), then there might be a more efficient way through using Ham_TakeDamage.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
vBulletin Tip #42: Not much would be accomplished by merging this item with itself.

Last edited by hornet; 05-06-2012 at 06:37.
ConnorMcLeod
Veteran Member
Old 05-06-2012 , 08:15   Re: Ham_TakeDamage on custom entities
Reply With Quote #2

You have to Register hook with "info_target" classname, or whatever class you used in create_entity.
Then, when callback is fired, check your custom classname, or find another way to figure out if it is your custom entity or not, if you only have 1 entity for example, store the index into a global variable.

- my plugins -
Emp`
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 05-06-2012 , 13:05   Re: Ham_TakeDamage on custom entities
Reply With Quote #3

RegisterHam ( Ham:function, const EntityClass[], const Callback[], Post=0 )

edit: you have the second and third arguments switched.

Last edited by Emp`; 05-06-2012 at 13:53.
Send a message via AIM to Emp` Send a message via MSN to Emp` Send a message via Yahoo to Emp` Send a message via Skype™ to Emp`
DarkGL
Old 05-06-2012 , 13:44   Re: Ham_TakeDamage on custom entities
Reply With Quote #4

Use http://www.amxmodx.org/funcwiki.php?go=func&id=1181
Old 05-07-2012 , 06:28   Re: Ham_TakeDamage on custom entities
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorMcLeod View Post
You have to Register hook with "info_target" classname, or whatever class you used in create_entity.
Then, when callback is fired, check your custom classname, or find another way to figure out if it is your custom entity or not, if you only have 1 entity for example, store the index into a global variable.
It seems to be failing, the callback isn't being called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emp` View Post
RegisterHam ( Ham:function, const EntityClass[], const Callback[], Post=0 )

edit: you have the second and third arguments switched.
Well not me as such - the code snippet is quoted from the article I linked to in my first post. I noticed this aswell although I forgot to mention that I didn't use that. However, if I did, I would have gotten an error on plugin_init() instead of when the entity was created ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkGL View Post
That's interesting. I've never seen that before. Looks like it could work ... I'll give it a shot.

Thanks.
vBulletin Tip #42: Not much would be accomplished by merging this item with itself.