Post New Thread Reply   

dustinandband
Old 11-20-2017 , 14:14   Re: Banned by CONSOLE SMAC/KAC
Reply With Quote #11

Thank you asherkin
dustinandband
Old 03-23-2018 , 19:02   Re: Banned by CONSOLE SMAC/KAC
Reply With Quote #12

Ok - I was able to replicate a false-positive ban scenerio with this ConVar violation:
SMAC 0.8.5.2: ConVar sv_consistency violation

Basically I did the same thing I did here:
https://forums.alliedmods.net/showpo...2&postcount=25

Except replacing the cvar "mat_postprocess_enable 0" with "sv_consistency 0". Sure enough smac thought I was trying to enforce my own cvar (which I was because the vpk addon was enforcing it) and banned for it.

No hacks or advanced multi-hack tool. Just a badly configured addon VPK file. So anyone could download an addon from the Steam workshop that alters a cheat-protected cvar, like an admin menu, and unknowingly get banned for it. Which is what I'm sure happened to some of the players on my server who are known to be legit and professed it was a false positive (I didn't believe them until now).

Last edited by dustinandband; 03-23-2018 at 19:08.
Visual77
Veteran Member
Old 03-24-2018 , 04:49   Re: Banned by CONSOLE SMAC/KAC
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinandband View Post
Ok - I was able to replicate a false-positive ban scenerio with this ConVar violation:
SMAC 0.8.5.2: ConVar sv_consistency violation

Basically I did the same thing I did here:
https://forums.alliedmods.net/showpo...2&postcount=25

Except replacing the cvar "mat_postprocess_enable 0" with "sv_consistency 0". Sure enough smac thought I was trying to enforce my own cvar (which I was because the vpk addon was enforcing it) and banned for it.

No hacks or advanced multi-hack tool. Just a badly configured addon VPK file. So anyone could download an addon from the Steam workshop that alters a cheat-protected cvar, like an admin menu, and unknowingly get banned for it. Which is what I'm sure happened to some of the players on my server who are known to be legit and professed it was a false positive (I didn't believe them until now).
That just proofs that SMAC is still working. sv_consistency shouldn't be in a vpk in the first place, no replicated cvars should be in vpks. If you inject sv_cheats 1 into a vpk, you can change all cheat convars from the dev console (or put into autoexec.cfg) on valve servers for example. If you don't want smac to ban, just change the action to kick and recompile the module?

Last edited by Visual77; 03-24-2018 at 05:00.
dustinandband
Old 03-24-2018 , 10:31   Re: Banned by CONSOLE SMAC/KAC
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visual77 View Post
That just proofs that SMAC is still working. sv_consistency shouldn't be in a vpk in the first place, no replicated cvars should be in vpks. If you inject sv_cheats 1 into a vpk, you can change all cheat convars from the dev console (or put into autoexec.cfg) on valve servers for example. If you don't want smac to ban, just change the action to kick and recompile the module?

I was making more of a "what if" scenerio.

Like, one potential scenerio, if a casual player was playing with the admin system and happened to change any of their cvars ( !cvar sv_consistency 0 ) in their local server, and unknowingly forgot to change them back before joining a smac protected server afterwards. Another scenerio is if perhaps they where to download a workshop addon that forced some of the cvars client-side without them knowing. etc.

I'm making these arguments cause I see that server groups ban permamently for this detection (and others) and server admins assume it must be a hack (cheat) client. Yes, ofc changing cvars is cheating - but in these cases it's not ban worthy and server admins might stumble upon posts like this and wrongfully assume someone was deliberately trying to use hacks.
DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Old 03-24-2018 , 10:40   Re: Banned by CONSOLE SMAC/KAC
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
I was making more of a "what if" scenerio.
And "what if" a stranger sent you an .exe file, would you blindly open it?

Simply don't install or run anything you don't know is from a trusted source, problem solved.

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].
allienaded
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-27-2018 , 14:59   Re: Banned by CONSOLE SMAC/KAC
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
SMAC 0.8.5.2
0.8.5.2 (which isn't even an official version and is simply 0.8.5.1 with some comments about licensing added) is very outdated and shouldn't be used. This specific false positive you're describing is not the only one 0.8.5.2 has. Even the latest development version (0.8.6.0 b244c49794c6) is quite outdated but as long as you don't use the smac_eyetest module (only incase of CS GO) should still work fine.

Last edited by allienaded; 03-27-2018 at 15:02.
dustinandband
Old 04-15-2018 , 01:22   Re: Banned by CONSOLE SMAC/KAC
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by allienaded View Post
0.8.5.2 (which isn't even an official version and is simply 0.8.5.1 with some comments about licensing added) is very outdated and shouldn't be used. This specific false positive you're describing is not the only one 0.8.5.2 has. Even the latest development version (0.8.6.0 b244c49794c6) is quite outdated but as long as you don't use the smac_eyetest module (only incase of CS GO) should still work fine.
Hmm any links to the latest version? Or would you recommend using Kigen's Anti-Cheat in addition to using SMAC?

@ arne1288
I think you missed my point. I myself am about as paranoid about security as one can be - I NEVER download torrents or run untrusted programs, always keep my anti-virus and software / OS updated and even go as far as using a VPN when I play on servers where I don't trust the admins or browsing untrustworthy websites.

Steam workshop mods however are a completely different story. Nothing like an executable file. When you see a mod that looks cool you simply subscribe and don't think twice about the author or how the mod works. Apples and oranges.

I went as far as testing my addon mod on the steam workshop and getting banned from my server group temporarily, as a proof-of-concept that someone could innocently subscribe to an addon and get banned without knowing why.