Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Solved Read from file.

Post New Thread Reply   

Napoleon_be
Veteran Member
Old 04-10-2020 , 14:18   Read from file.
Reply With Quote #1

Hi,

I've got a few questions.. I'm not really familiar with reading from files or writing them.

1) I'm planning to make a menu created from a file. The file should look like this
  • Text1 [Number 1, Number2, Number3] // This is line 1
  • Text2 [Number 1, Number2, Number3] // Option line 2.

while the menu should look like this
  • Text1
  • Text2

And the menu goes on depending on how much lines there are in the file.
2) Eventually, when the player made a choice of the menu, the Numbers in the menu will be used later on in the menu handler, but without the brackets ([]), but not shown in the menu.

Basicly, i wanna create the menu at plugin_init() and later on when a command is used such as "say /command", the menu should pop up. I don't wanna destroy the menu as changes aren't made every map change.

Also i don't know what kind of file i should use, .txt or .ini (what's the difference?).

Anyone who could help me out with this?

I've got this from a post from 2011, just wondering if this is done the right way, and if it is, how to use it.

PHP Code:
       // Register global menu, restart server when file has been changed.

iMenu menu_create("\r[\wAdvanced Glow Menu\r]""GlowHandler");

new 
szPath[128], FileHandleszCache[128];

get_configsdir(szPathcharsmax(szPath));

formatex(szPathcharsmax(szPath), "%s%s"szPath"/%s"szFileName);

if(!
file_exists(szPath)) {

log_amx("Error: File does not exist (%s)."szPath);
        return;
    }

FileHandle fopen(szPath"rt");

if(!
FileHandle) {

log_amx("Error: Could not open file (%s)."szPath);
        return;
    }

new 
iCounter;
    while(!
feof(FileHandle)) {

fgets(FileHandleszCachecharsmax(szCache));

iCounter++;

log_amx("Loaded line number %d: %s"iCounterszCache);
    }

for(new 
isizeof(szCache); i++) {

menu_additem(iMenuszCache[i]);
    }

fclose(FileHandle);

Last edited by Napoleon_be; 04-11-2020 at 15:41.
Send a message via Skype™ to Napoleon_be
OciXCrom
Veteran Member
Old 04-10-2020 , 14:57   Re: Read from file.
Reply With Quote #2

This is the general code I use in all my plugins.
It's pretty much the same as above. I added comments explaining what each line does.

Code:
ReadFile() {     // Store the file path in the szFilename variable (amxmodx/configs/YourFile.ini)     new szFilename[256]     get_configsdir(szFilename, charsmax(szFilename))     add(szFilename, charsmax(szFilename), "/YourFile.ini")     // Open the file in (r)ead (t)ext mode and store its handle in the iFilepointer variable.     new iFilePointer = fopen(szFilename, "rt")     // Check if the file was successfully opened.     if(iFilePointer)     {         // szData will hold each line read from the file.         new szData[128]         // Execute the code in this loop until the end of the file has been reached.         // This will read every line in the file 1 by 1.         while(!feof(iFilePointer))         {             // Read a line from the file and store in in the szData variable.             fgets(iFilePointer, szData, charsmax(szData))             // Remove whitespace characters from the beginning and end of the string (not necessary, but good to have just in case).             trim(szData)                         // Skip the line if it's empty or starts with a ";"             if(szData[0] == EOS || szData[0] == ';')             {                 continue             }             // We have our final line.             log_amx("The line is %s", szData)         }         // Close the file after we're done using it.                fclose(iFilePointer)     } }

Now that you have your final line stored in "szData", you can do anything you want with it.
The easiest way you can handle creating a menu is using a basic format like:

Code:
"text" "number1" "number2" "number3"

With this, you can just use the "parse" function directly on "szData" to get the arguments from that line.

Code:
parse(szData, szText, charsmax(szText), szNumber1, charsmax(szNumber1), ...)

You can use the format you mentioned in your first post too, but it will require some more lines of code to handle - you can do that after you figure out the basics.

If your menu is static (the items in it don't change), I suggest you create it as a global menu instead of reading the file each time the player wants to use it.

Last edited by OciXCrom; 04-10-2020 at 14:59.
Send a message via Skype™ to OciXCrom
Napoleon_be
Veteran Member
Old 04-10-2020 , 15:04   Re: Read from file.
Reply With Quote #3

Well, that's what i'm doing, i'm creating this menu in plugin_init so i don't have to destroy it and create it every single time again. I'll figure out what you posted and keep you updated, thanks for your help already.

EDIT: Okay, so now i understand how to read from a file, how can i add it to the menu, and use the last number arguments (without [] or ,) in the menu handler? (Keep in mind that the Number arguments can have more than 1 digit.)

Also, i'm getting an error:

error 033: array must be indexed (variable "-unknown-")

It's this line:

PHP Code:
            if(szData[0] == EOS || szData[0] == ";"

Last edited by Napoleon_be; 04-10-2020 at 15:19.
OciXCrom
Veteran Member
Old 04-10-2020 , 15:55   Re: Read from file.
Reply With Quote #4

You're getting that error because you're using double quotes. Use single quotes when checking a character.

I'll give you a more detailed explanation about the rest tomorrow if someone else doesn't.
Just remember that the entire line is a string, so you can do anything you want with it. Try to separate the arguments in different variables so it will be easier to add them in a menu.

Last edited by OciXCrom; 04-10-2020 at 15:57.
Send a message via Skype™ to OciXCrom
Napoleon_be
Veteran Member
Old 04-10-2020 , 16:07   Re: Read from file.
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OciXCrom View Post
You're getting that error because you're using double quotes. Use single quotes when checking a character.

I'll give you a more detailed explanation about the rest tomorrow if someone else doesn't.
Just remember that the entire line is a string, so you can do anything you want with it. Try to separate the arguments in different variables so it will be easier to add them in a menu.
I had some help from a friend i've known for a long time, i'll share the code tomorrow along with your answer, thanks again.
BANNED
Old 04-10-2020 , 16:28   Re: Read from file.
Reply With Quote #6

Firstly, I don't really understand your plan. If you want to parse single-line settings from a file (i.e: "napoleon" "won" "52" "battles"), use parse native and convert results into whatever you need.

Quote:
Eventually, when the player made a choice of the menu, the Numbers in the menu will be used later on in the menu handler, but without the brackets ([]), but not shown in the menu.
If you want to hide something in a menu (a string or array of integers, doesn't support 2-dimensional arrays sadly), check 3rd parameter of menu_additem.

Quote:
Also i don't know what kind of file i should use, .txt or .ini (what's the difference?).
You can use whatever file extension you want, but configuration files (.ini) are supposed to save data like this for example:
Code:
[en] ; Section
MSG_HELLO = Hello, world!
Yes, this is the input used for plugin translations. Some people (including me? ) save this kind of files as text, which is wrong. Fyi, there's a header that parses configuration files for AMXX. If you are reading files according your plan, use the text extension.

Last edited by thEsp; 04-10-2020 at 16:42.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 04-10-2020 , 19:52   Re: Read from file.
Reply With Quote #7

Also note that using while( !feof(file) ) is not recommended (actually, it's technically wrong): https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=310086

Last edited by fysiks; 04-10-2020 at 19:54.
Napoleon_be
Veteran Member
Old 04-11-2020 , 08:44   Re: Read from file.
Reply With Quote #8

Okay thanks for the help already, this is what i have so far, and the menu pops up and does everything it has to do. Now one more question, i need to retrieve data from the file in my handler.

PHP Code:
ReadFile()
{
    new 
szFileName[256];

get_configsdir(szFileNamecharsmax(szFileName));

add(szFileNamecharsmax(szFileName), "/GlowMenu.txt");

new 
iFilePointer fopen(szFileName"rt");

if(
iFilePointer)
    {
        while(
fgets(iFilePointerszDatacharsmax(szData)))
        {

fgets(iFilePointerszDatacharsmax(szData));

trim(szData);

if(
szData[0] == EOS || szData[0] == ';')
            {
                continue;
            }

iColorMenu menu_create("\r[\wAdvanced Glow Menu\r]""ColorMenuHandler");

new 
szText[128], szNumber1[3], szNumber2[3], szNumber3[3];

parse(szDataszTextcharsmax(szText), szNumber1charsmax(szNumber1), szNumber2charsmax(szNumber2), szNumber3charsmax(szNumber3));

new 
GlowColors[RgbEnum];

GlowColors[r] = str_to_num(szNumber1);

GlowColors[g] = str_to_num(szNumber2);

GlowColors[b] = str_to_num(szNumber3);

TrieSetArray(GlowTrieszTextGlowColorsRgbEnum);

menu_additem(iColorMenuszText);

//log_amx("The line is %s", szData);

}

fclose(iFilePointer);
    }

How do i retrieve the rgb numbers in the file, and how do i use them in set_user_rendering()? Also, i'd like to use the color name from the file in a chat message. I wanna use TrieGetArray, but i can't seem to figure it out.

Last edited by Napoleon_be; 04-11-2020 at 08:46.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:27
thEsp
This message has been deleted by thEsp. Reason: nvm
thEsp
BANNED
Old 04-11-2020 , 09:30   Re: Read from file.
Reply With Quote #9

If you mean choosing the color from menu (when you select an item), read what I said.
Quote:
If you want to hide something in a menu (a string or array of integers, doesn't support 2-dimensional arrays sadly), check 3rd parameter of menu_additem.

Last edited by thEsp; 04-11-2020 at 09:32.
Napoleon_be
Veteran Member
Old 04-11-2020 , 09:50   Re: Read from file.
Reply With Quote #10

How is the 3rd parameter of menu_additem gonna help me with this? This is how my code looks like atm, first time i ever try using tries.

PHP Code:
enum _:RgbEnum {

r,

g,

b
}

public 
ColorMenuHandler(idiColorMenuitem) {
    if(
is_user_alive(id)) {
        new 
szText[128];

formatex(szTextcharsmax(szText), "%i"szData);

new 
GlowColors[RgbEnum];

TrieGetArray(GlowTrieszTextGlowColorsRgbEnum);

set_user_glow(idGlowColors[r], GlowColors[g], GlowColors[b]);
    }

Last edited by Napoleon_be; 04-11-2020 at 09:54.