Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Will sourcemod support Source 2 Based SRCDS?

Post New Thread Reply   

Starbish
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-18-2015 , 09:58   Will sourcemod support Source 2 Based SRCDS?
Reply With Quote #1

will sourcemod support them?

or no plans yet?

BAFFLED
Old 09-18-2015 , 11:04   Re: Will sourcemod support Source 2 Based SRCDS?
Reply With Quote #2

The reverse engineering effort for it is very low priority right now. MM:S was (mostly) working at some point, but SM (or similar) is a very long way off. There are numerous large changes in the engine to figure out and then figure out how to adjust our code to gracefully handle both paths with minimal API change.
Starbish
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-20-2015 , 03:05   Re: Will sourcemod support Source 2 Based SRCDS?
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonic View Post
The reverse engineering effort for it is very low priority right now. MM:S was (mostly) working at some point, but SM (or similar) is a very long way off. There are numerous large changes in the engine to figure out and then figure out how to adjust our code to gracefully handle both paths with minimal API change.
Wow, thank you for your replying and efforts in developing them.
Old 12-10-2015 , 09:17   Re: Will sourcemod support Source 2 Based SRCDS?
Reply With Quote #4

Instead of extending the support on Source 2, isn't the case to create a separate environment? If AMX Mod X is for GoldSource, SourceMod is for Source, should a SourceMod 2 be for Source 2?

psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 12-10-2015 , 10:35   Re: Will sourcemod support Source 2 Based SRCDS?
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Orribilus View Post
Instead of extending the support on Source 2, isn't the case to create a separate environment? If AMX Mod X is for GoldSource, SourceMod is for Source, should a SourceMod 2 be for Source 2?
No. It would clearly be "Source2Mod".

Joking aside, there's a lot at play here. While there's much less of an engine and server API/ABI change between Source and Source 2 for the parts we care about, there's still much that needs to be reverse-engineered (or an actual SDK release). There's also only a single game released on the platform, and it's not a good example of the kind of games that we typically support or users write plugins for. When SourceMod supported Dota 2 on Source 1, there were very few consumers compared to something like CS:GO due to the nature of the game.

Metamod:Source is working on Source 2, although support hasn't been upstreamed yet. I do have a fairly sizable plugin running with it.

We're not really near a point that we could start porting SourceMod, although I do think it's doable.

If we were to decide that it wasn't feasible or practical to port SourceMod and thought a different approach would be appropriate, we'd also want to consider is that there is already a scripting API in newer games (L4D and onward), Valve's "vscript". It implements Squirrel, Lua, or both, depending on the game, and has the benefit of first-party support (no/less random breakage on updates). With MM:S alone, it is also fairly trivial to extend the Valve-provided scripting API with plugins. I did some proofs-of-concept with that on Source 1 and the Source 2 vscript C++ API has not changed much.

Last edited by psychonic; 12-10-2015 at 10:36.
Prof. Orribilus
Old 12-10-2015 , 14:45   Re: Will sourcemod support Source 2 Based SRCDS?
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
No. It would clearly be "Source2Mod".

Joking aside,
Hehe. I agree with "Source2Mod" however.

Quote:
there's a lot at play here. While there's much less of an engine and server API/ABI change between Source and Source 2 for the parts we care about, there's still much that needs to be reverse-engineered (or an actual SDK release). There's also only a single game released on the platform, and it's not a good example of the kind of games that we typically support or users write plugins for. When SourceMod supported Dota 2 on Source 1, there were very few consumers compared to something like CS:GO due to the nature of the game.
Ok.

Quote:
Metamod:Source is working on Source 2, although support hasn't been upstreamed yet. I do have a fairly sizable plugin running with it.

We're not really near a point that we could start porting SourceMod, although I do think it's doable.

If we were to decide that it wasn't feasible or practical to port SourceMod and thought a different approach would be appropriate, we'd also want to consider is that there is already a scripting API in newer games (L4D and onward), Valve's "vscript". It implements Squirrel, Lua, or both, depending on the game, and has the benefit of first-party support (no/less random breakage on updates). With MM:S alone, it is also fairly trivial to extend the Valve-provided scripting API with plugins. I did some proofs-of-concept with that on Source 1 and the Source 2 vscript C++ API has not changed much.
So, are you telling that future Source 2 games could yet have a good server-side plugins API making a Source2Mod quite unneeded?

Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-10-2015 , 14:50   Re: Will sourcemod support Source 2 Based SRCDS?
Reply With Quote #7

I admit I've only glanced at the L4D2 version of vscript, but it didn't appear to have any administrative functions in it.

While you can create things like new game modes, having no functions to kick/ban users... or even show menus... is kind of a big deal.

BAFFLED
Old 12-10-2015 , 14:57   Re: Will sourcemod support Source 2 Based SRCDS?
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
I admit I've only glanced at the L4D2 version of vscript, but it didn't appear to have any administrative functions in it.

While you can create things like new game modes, having no functions to kick/ban users... or even show menus... is kind of a big deal.
Quite right, but as noted, that kind of API could be created and exposed to the vscript VM via a Metamod plugin.

Last edited by psychonic; 12-10-2015 at 14:59.
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 12-10-2015 , 15:02   Re: Will sourcemod support Source 2 Based SRCDS?
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Orribilus View Post
So, are you telling that future Source 2 games could yet have a good server-side plugins API making a Source2Mod quite unneeded?
It's already possible with vscript-enabled games now. No one has ended up making any admin API for that layer though (afaik), and many people prefer SourceMod as it's what they already know and are familiar with, as well as due to the wealth of functionality it already exposes.

Last edited by psychonic; 12-10-2015 at 15:49.
Prof. Orribilus
Old 12-10-2015 , 15:45   Re: Will sourcemod support Source 2 Based SRCDS?
Reply With Quote #10

Ok, thanks for the informations.