Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Late-loading plugins not initially catching forwards?

Post New Thread Reply   

Wliu
Veteran Member
Old 02-04-2015 , 20:30   Late-loading plugins not initially catching forwards?
Reply With Quote #1

So I'm really confused by this. To save time I'm just going to call the two plugins ff2.sp and late.sp.

So FF2 late-loads (this is the correct term, right?) all of its subplugins when enough players join the server. late.sp (the subplugin) listens to the FF2_OnSpecialSelected forward in order to do some precaching for certain bosses.

Now the weird part is even though I've confirmed FF2_OnSpecialSelected fires (or more specifically that my debug output before and after the forward both display), late.sp fails to catch the forward in the first round. All other rounds after that are fine. This is obviously undesirable and can cause the server to crash in the first round due to un-precached models.

Is there any way to get the forward to properly fire in the initial round where late.sp gets loaded?
Veteran Member
Old 02-05-2015 , 16:03   Re: Late-loading plugins not initially catching forwards?
Reply With Quote #2

https://sm.alliedmods.net/api/index....d=show&id=583& ?

(Totally a random guess but sounds relevant.)
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-05-2015 , 16:08   Re: Late-loading plugins not initially catching forwards?
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato Uno View Post
https://sm.alliedmods.net/api/index....d=show&id=583& ?

(Totally a random guess but sounds relevant.)
As far as I can tell, we're talking about global forwards and there's nothing a plugin can call to hook one of those (it's supposed to be automatic).

Last edited by Powerlord; 02-05-2015 at 16:09.
Potato Uno
Veteran Member
Old 02-05-2015 , 16:12   Re: Late-loading plugins not initially catching forwards?
Reply With Quote #4

Why is your whole thing based on plugins late-loading into the game?

Can't you just inhibit every function in a plugin from working using a boolean flag of some sort along with a global cvar until enough players have loaded? Then just flip the cvar flag to 1 if you want everything to run, change it to 0 if you want to stop everything from running.

That should cause the forward to fire on the first round, if you don't block that with a boolean flag.

I dunno, I could be totally talking out of my ass, but late-loading plugins isn't something that would come to me as a viable solution unless if we're talking about like 500 plugins.
Wliu
Veteran Member
Old 02-05-2015 , 17:04   Re: Late-loading plugins not initially catching forwards?
Reply With Quote #5

It's always how FF2's done it and I've never exactly questioned that logic. There's already a global Enabled variable but subplugins don't get to see that.
Really I don't think there's anything wrong with having the plugins automatically loaded since they already mostly operate on forwards, except that's not possible in the current configuration because they are located in the plugins/freaks/ folder. SM, to my knowledge, does not automatically load plugins in folders (or for that matter plugins that end in .ff2 instead of .smx...).

And Powerlord is right-I'm talking about global forwards here.
SourceMod Developer
Old 02-05-2015 , 17:25   Re: Late-loading plugins not initially catching forwards?
Reply With Quote #6

If they were .smx, SM would autoload them.
Old 02-05-2015 , 18:09   Re: Late-loading plugins not initially catching forwards?
Reply With Quote #7

/sigh Eggman.

At this point in FF2 development, it'd be really difficult to suddenly switch subplugins to using *.smx, even if FF2 auto-renamed them like it does now from *.smx->*.ff2. Oh well.

Last edited by Wliu; 02-05-2015 at 18:10.
Mathias.
Veteran Member
Old 02-05-2015 , 20:37   Re: Late-loading plugins not initially catching forwards?
Reply With Quote #8

that the same thing for me and it only on linux. I got my primary plugin that provide natives and it give me an error that it did not register it correctly.

L 02/04/2015 - 22:20:45: [SM] Plugin encountered error 21: Native is not bound

if I reload it manually after server start everything seem to work. This is only on linux, I register the native under AskPluginLoad2.
Wliu
Veteran Member
Old 02-05-2015 , 22:13   Re: Late-loading plugins not initially catching forwards?
Reply With Quote #9

@Black-Rabbit you seem to have a different issue. Mine is about forwards and hence no errors are thrown (since the forward never appears to get called); yours is about natives.
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 02-06-2015 , 13:31   Re: Late-loading plugins not initially catching forwards?
Reply With Quote #10

I actually tried to iron out all plugin dependency quirks i've encountered over the past years. Do both of you have a small testcase demonstrating the issue?

People tend to forget the SharedPlugin struct in their include files or don't call RegPluginLibrary after they created the natives in AskPluginLoad2.