Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[L4D1/2] Varying Zombie Population

Post New Thread Reply   

Luke Penny
Old 01-23-2010 , 23:35   Re: [L4D1/2] Varying Zombie Population
Reply With Quote #11

Alright - I will have to find the right value for l4d2 servers, the settings in that lowend are rather low and will have less effect, but should still do the job.
SkaP
Old 01-23-2010 , 23:40   Re: [L4D1/2] Varying Zombie Population
Reply With Quote #12

After a few more attempts I get in I would say about 20% of the time on the low end version. I am pretty sure LFD2 servers are hard ticked at 30 btw.
Luke Penny
Old 01-23-2010 , 23:47   Re: [L4D1/2] Varying Zombie Population
Reply With Quote #13

Strange...You are sure your server works without the plugin? The low end version should work fine, it changes the values once every 1.5-2 seconds... It works on my server, I am not sure what the problem is.
SkaP
Old 01-23-2010 , 23:52   Re: [L4D1/2] Varying Zombie Population
Reply With Quote #14

Yeah I am positive the server works without it. I am connecting a lot more on low end did about 20 or so connections maybe got in 10 or so times. Maybe it's just my client, the server seems to be running fine. Like I said when I get load stuck, the server knows I connected and will show me in status I just can't play.

I am going to test more I'll let you know the results.

Edit: Ack I never deleted the old version off the server after adding the low end. Sorry man my fault. It's connecting all the time on the low end. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by SkaP; 01-23-2010 at 23:59.
Luke Penny
Old 01-24-2010 , 00:00   Re: [L4D1/2] Varying Zombie Population
Reply With Quote #15

Hah, that would be the issue. Having 2 versions of this plugin basically doubles the timer, which would cause problems. Glad you got it working, enjoy.
SkaP
Old 01-24-2010 , 00:09   Re: [L4D1/2] Varying Zombie Population
Reply With Quote #16

Thanks, now it's time to find some good values. I don't want the zombies to fall below their default values. Gonna have them just have a possibility of being faster and tougher but never weaker.

This plus the SRS mod give the common a good boost in hoards, crescendos, and when boomered without editing damage which I normally hate.

Last edited by SkaP; 01-24-2010 at 00:16.
SkaP
Old 01-24-2010 , 19:06   Re: [L4D1/2] Varying Zombie Population
Reply With Quote #17

Even though I can connect now a lot of people can't or they disconnect on map switch with load stucking. I think it's just to much activity for my server or most servers to handle while trying to run other plugins and 8 people. It's a great idea and its good work but it needs some fine tuning

This is a suggestion both as a fix and possible improvement to the plugin. I think the plugin changes the cvar way to often to see the effects in the first place. I know thats its purpose to be discrete but it would be way more awesome if it was noticeable for a long period of time. If maybe the plugin changed the cvar every minute or so it would cut down on lag and possibly make it a bit more realistic. This way a group of zombies would be weak then a minute later into the map the next group would be stronger, then a minute later stronger still before getting weaker. As the plugin is now even at a big range of values you never notice it in big packs especially in versus with a lot of people getting boomed.
rek075
Old 01-26-2010 , 10:40   Re: [L4D1/2] Varying Zombie Population
Reply With Quote #18

Just to help me clarify how this modification works:

Does it actually assign and persist a different health/speed to each zombie, or does it just change the current health/speed for all zombies periodically? I'm curious because it looks like you are changing the global variables periodically, which to me seems like it would affect every common infected. Perhaps I lack the knowledge in how this works. Is it the case that when a common infected spawns it looks at those variables and makes a copy that it persists itself?

Last edited by rek075; 01-26-2010 at 10:44.
Luke Penny
Old 01-26-2010 , 11:24   Re: [L4D1/2] Varying Zombie Population
Reply With Quote #19

The plugin does change the cvars periodically, however the director spawns zombies with the current health cvar, and the zombies keep that value for their entire life. As far as I know I cannot change it to make it random for each zombie individually.

In regards to it not working in l4d2, I will create a l4d2 specific version, hopefully with a better method. The plugin seems to work perfectly on l4d1, so we will see.
rek075
Old 01-26-2010 , 11:59   Re: [L4D1/2] Varying Zombie Population
Reply With Quote #20

So basically the variation applies to different groups of common infected. If a horde appears (boomer bile or event), chances are they will all have the same attributes. I haven't looked much at the methodology of spawning by the director, but my guess would be that its done in bunches.

I would hate to have a horde spawn with high health and speed