Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

If you use SMAC, it's highly recommended that you also use Updater

Post New Thread Reply   

Dr. McKay
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 04-24-2013 , 19:29   If you use SMAC, it's highly recommended that you also use Updater
Reply With Quote #1

On semi-regular occasions, Valve will update the game and cause SMAC to start falsely banning people (the sv_consistency cvar on SteamPipe clients is a recent example).

SMAC was updated almost a full month ago in order to avoid this, but a lot of people failed to update their copy of SMAC.

If you use SMAC, it's highly recommended that you also use Updater, which will keep SMAC (and some other plugins) automatically up-to-date.
Old 04-26-2013 , 01:08   Re: If you use SMAC, it's highly recommended that you also use Updater
Reply With Quote #2

Agreed.

Before flooding various forums that SMAC is broken, please visit the official forum here to ensure that you're running the latest version, or to check if your issue has already been solved some other way.
Old 04-26-2013 , 09:24   Re: If you use SMAC, it's highly recommended that you also use Updater
Reply With Quote #3

I don't use updater - I prefer to manually test new plugins or updates of them on a test server to confirm things are working with everything else and the way I need them to work. As long as updates to this and other plugins are noted on their respected threads I don't foresee any such issue even one such as this.
GoD-Tony
Veteran Member
Old 04-26-2013 , 12:38   Re: If you use SMAC, it's highly recommended that you also use Updater
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick View Post
I don't use updater - I prefer to manually test new plugins or updates of them on a test server to confirm things are working with everything else and the way I need them to work. As long as updates to this and other plugins are noted on their respected threads I don't foresee any such issue even one such as this.
No problem with that. I think the issue is with users that aren't so interested in keeping up to date with the latest news for "update sensitive" plugins that they run.

A good alternative of course is subscribing to the download / changelog thread.
Old 04-26-2013 , 12:50   If you use SMAC, it's highly recommended that you also use Updater
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoD-Tony View Post
No problem with that. I think the issue is with users that aren't so interested in keeping up to date with the latest news for "update sensitive" plugins that they run.

A good alternative of course is subscribing to the download / changelog thread.
Yeah, a lot of people just don't care enough to keep their plugins up-to-date. So when something like this happens, SMAC is blamed even though a fix was released a month ago.

There was an optional update for TF2 SteamPipe beta last night which added a dummy sv_consistency cvar to clients so SMAC will stop banning them. There's probably a lot of admins who will think that the "problem" is fixed and not pursue it any further. When Valve removes the cvar again, I expect this to happen all over again. :/
Old 04-26-2013 , 14:43   Re: Re: If you use SMAC, it's highly recommended that you also use Updater
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick View Post
You can tell the updater to only log the update but don't download it

Which is what I recommend at minimum if People don't trust the authors to test there own plugins. Granted the author can only test so much

Last edited by Doc-Holiday; 04-26-2013 at 14:44.
GoD-Tony
Veteran Member
Old 04-26-2013 , 15:00   Re: If you use SMAC, it's highly recommended that you also use Updater
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
There was an optional update for TF2 SteamPipe beta last night which added a dummy sv_consistency cvar to clients so SMAC will stop banning them. There's probably a lot of admins who will think that the "problem" is fixed and not pursue it any further. When Valve removes the cvar again, I expect this to happen all over again.
It's coming to the other EP2V games as well. Incoming confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-Holiday View Post

Which is what I recommend at minimum if People don't trust the authors to test there own plugins. Granted the author can only test so much
Another good point, I forgot about that option.
Old 04-26-2013 , 20:57   Re: If you use SMAC, it's highly recommended that you also use Updater
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-Holiday View Post

Yeah I'll look into that but so far what I do works for me - I keep up with what is going on so long as its posted properly and I'm unlikely to blame anyone for anything broken I just wait and read what everyone else posts