Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[REQ] L4D - When hanging press E to drop.

Post New Thread Reply   

madcap
Old 03-02-2009 , 22:48   Re: [REQ] L4D - When hanging press E to drop.
Reply With Quote #21

My first idea was to reduce the hanging HP to 0 to induce a fall, then restore the HP. It works kinda strange. The player falls correctly but when they hit the ground the end up in this strange state where their body is mangled and they continue to take damage. I'll take another go at this tomorrow. Feel free to try this out. Use the command `drop` or say '!drop' to let go.

I have a few other ideas to try.
Attached Files
File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (letgo.sp - 330 views - 3.9 KB)
wgooch
Old 03-03-2009 , 19:01   Re: [REQ] L4D - When hanging press E to drop.
Reply With Quote #22

I'm confused, when a player falls from a ledge they instantly die on impact, so couldn't a plugin like this lead to exploits?
madcap
Old 03-03-2009 , 19:09   Re: [REQ] L4D - When hanging press E to drop.
Reply With Quote #23

Through experimentation I learned that it's not the falling itself that kills the player, it's the fact that your HP has been reduced to 0. You let go automatically at 0 HP and you fall for a second or so and then you die from having no health.

I can induce a fall by reducing your HP to 0 and then bumping it back to it's previous level but the problem is that once you've landed you continue to take damage as if you were hanging and I don't know how to make it stop. Also, your body becomes all messed up with your leg sticking out in front. Try out the source I posted if you want to see what I mean.
wgooch
Old 03-03-2009 , 19:11   Re: [REQ] L4D - When hanging press E to drop.
Reply With Quote #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcap View Post
Through experimentation I learned that it's not the falling itself that kills the player, it's the fact that your HP has been reduced to 0. You let go automatically at 0 HP and you fall for a second or so and then you die from having no health.

I can induce a fall by reducing your HP to 0 and then bumping it back to it's previous level but the problem is that once you've landed you continue to take damage as if you were hanging and I don't know how to make it stop. Also, your body becomes all messed up with your leg sticking out in front. Try out the source I posted if you want to see what I mean.
Could you run a revive that revives instantly then teleports the player to the location that they would have started at if they had started to fall?
RAAP
Old 03-03-2009 , 20:24   Re: [REQ] L4D - When hanging press E to drop.
Reply With Quote #25

I would like the plugin so that you would still suffer the same damage from the fall, even if it results in death. I don't think you should be able to fall from very high ledges and survive. There are situations where you are hanging and its not too far to kill you, so you would actually survive. Also, dropping and suiciding could be rather humorous in certain situations.

Last edited by RAAP; 03-03-2009 at 20:51.
madcap
Old 03-03-2009 , 20:31   Re: [REQ] L4D - When hanging press E to drop.
Reply With Quote #26

The problem is that the game puts you into what I'll call Fall Mode. When you're in it your health drains constantly and your leg sticks out in front of you and you move funny. I don't know how to get a player out of fall mode once they've let go of the ledge. Normally it's reset by them dieing.
wgooch
Old 03-03-2009 , 20:35   Re: [REQ] L4D - When hanging press E to drop.
Reply With Quote #27

That's why I think you should use a revive, it would keep them from going into the fall mode, and their health shouldn't be to much of a problem, they just need to be teleported to where they would be if they started to fall and the revive must be done instantly.
RAAP
Old 03-03-2009 , 21:42   Re: [REQ] L4D - When hanging press E to drop.
Reply With Quote #28

Well, I hope it can be done!
Old 03-03-2009 , 23:29   Re: [REQ] L4D - When hanging press E to drop.
Reply With Quote #29

I take it m_isHangingFromLedge returns the incorrect value?
madcap
Old 03-05-2009 , 13:17   Re: [REQ] L4D - When hanging press E to drop.
Reply With Quote #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown1 View Post
I take it m_isHangingFromLedge returns the incorrect value?
Where can I find a list of the entity properties for left 4 dead?

I did some testing. m_isHangingFromLedge has the correct value but changing it doesn't make you let go.

Last edited by madcap; 03-05-2009 at 23:24.