Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

HLDS Crashing (Exploit)

Post New Thread Reply   

DruGzOG
Veteran Member
Old 07-09-2010 , 14:48   Re: HLDS Crashing (Exploit)
Reply With Quote #11

I dont understand as to what you mean. Random Exploits.

There is no exploits so far, unless you are running a dual protocol server, or a non steam one.

All Steam Servers are up to date, and fixed majority of the exploits.
Old 07-09-2010 , 14:55   Re: HLDS Crashing (Exploit)
Reply With Quote #12

i'Ve said it generates random cdkeys, these keys are part of the first authentication methode and they will be used to query the steam servers for the user steam id. the point is, the exploit crashes the game server before the server retrieves the steam id. so i thought it is possible to ban users (the exploit) by cd key. but with random cd keys this is no option.

Last edited by endeffects; 07-09-2010 at 15:02.
DruGzOG
Veteran Member
Old 07-09-2010 , 15:06   Re: HLDS Crashing (Exploit)
Reply With Quote #13

That makes no sense. Isn't a CD Key determining if you have the game or not?

STEAMID is generated by the latest client account. Like my account was made about 6 years ago, but I bought the game 5 years ago, which generated my community ID which was converted to my STEAMID
Old 07-09-2010 , 15:20   Re: HLDS Crashing (Exploit)
Reply With Quote #14

well, in simple words: one game is bound to one cd key and one cd key is bound to one steam account. the steam id is the public bridge between both.

when you connect to a server, the game submits a hash value of the cd key to the game server, the game server queries the steam server and retrieves the steam id for your account. with the steam id everybody else on the server is able to interact with you over the steam community services, like adding you as friend or visiting your steam profile.

if the steam server doesn't response within a given time range you almost end up with the Error vervifying STEAM UserID Ticket and you will be kicked from the game server. the point is, the exploit doesn't need to wait for the steam server response, it crashes your server before.

Last edited by endeffects; 07-09-2010 at 15:40.
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 07-09-2010 , 15:23   Re: HLDS Crashing (Exploit)
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by endeffects View Post
well, in simple words: one game is bound to one cd key and one cd key is bound to one steam account. the steam id is the public bridge between both.

when you connect to a server, the game submits a hash value of the cd key to the game server, the game server queries the steam server and retrieves the steam id for your account. with the steam id everybody else on the server is able to interact with you over the steam community services, like adding you as friend or visiting your steam profile.
Actually, your CD Key is never sent except for the initial activation. All talk to the Master Servers is based on your Account ID, which never changes

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
endeffects
Old 07-09-2010 , 15:33   Re: HLDS Crashing (Exploit)
Reply With Quote #16

well, the hash value is named cdkey within the udp packet, so if it is the same for css and cs 1.6 on one account for example, it doesn't belong to the cd key for sure. did not checked this. anyways, the cd key hash is unique for each user in both cases, so it was a chance to get rid of public exploit demo.

Last edited by endeffects; 07-09-2010 at 15:44.
Owyn
Veteran Member
Old 07-09-2010 , 16:01   Re: HLDS Crashing (Exploit)
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by endeffects View Post
sorry but the plugin doesn't work, i've checked it again and the exploit generates random cdkeys while it connects to the server. so there is no chance to block the exploit with this methode
maybe stop thinking how to fix your non-steam servers here? go your forum and discuss changing cd-keys, steam ids and IPs there

Steam = All ok
Non-Steam = Crash
Израильский форум - Задаёшь вопрос, потом тебе задают вопрос.
Русский форум - Задаёшь вопрос, потом тебе долго рассказывают, какой ты мудак.
Send a message via ICQ to Owyn
warlock
Old 07-09-2010 , 16:25   Re: HLDS Crashing (Exploit)
Reply With Quote #18

I can confirm that these crashes occur on steam servers as well. I seem to be getting very odd segmentation faults that tends to trigger very randomly. All seems to be running fine otherwise, no recent changes has been made to any plugins or engine files.

-
Ok. I made some changes, I will let you know if this works as expected.

Last edited by warlock; 07-09-2010 at 17:04. Reason: update
endeffects
Old 07-09-2010 , 16:38   Re: HLDS Crashing (Exploit)
Reply With Quote #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owyn View Post
maybe stop thinking how to fix your non-steam servers here? go your forum and discuss changing cd-keys, steam ids and IPs there

Steam = All ok
Non-Steam = Crash
you have no clue what you are talking about, i'm running no non-steam servers and the exploit effects all servers (5th time i'm saying this), maybe you learn to read? it's the second thread about this topic and u was following both.

btw, please don't argue like a child, you are far far away from understnding whats going on, so please move ur senseless comments to your null device - thanks.

Last edited by endeffects; 07-09-2010 at 16:55.
omgitsme
Veteran Member
Old 07-09-2010 , 16:50   Re: HLDS Crashing (Exploit)
Reply With Quote #20

don't piss around with this non-steam = crash bullshit.
the people with only steam servers, also break. and if some don't, that means your servers don't show on the internet, or it's not worth breaking. if you could, would you break a server with 0 people? valve needs to update there engines, as nothing last for ever