Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

How to detect if server crashed?

Post New Thread Reply   

danonix
Old 02-10-2015 , 10:15   Re: How to detect if server crashed?
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron9forever View Post
as far as I know servers auto restart when debug=""
that stops working if the process is killed(which means something went horribly wrong)

to be somewhat helpful to the OP, you can not do this with amxx
even bugsy's idea won't work because it won't give you the exact time of the crash and hosting providers usually fail to restart the server if the process is kill, then you won't get the accurate timestamp

What you want is very possible and easy to accomplish with PHP and a cron job if you have some knowledge in that area
No, not really. Though that it is possible via amxx. Using plugin_end() is a good option, or server won't catch this event while crash?
Nextra
Veteran Member
Old 02-10-2015 , 11:24   Re: How to detect if server crashed?
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by danonix View Post
No, not really. Though that it is possible via amxx. Using plugin_end() is a good option, or server won't catch this event while crash?
If the server crashes it crashes. It is immediately gone for good and there is nothing to catch and no events to process.

Galileo uses a neat trick to detect server restarts. It registers a special cvar, gal_server_starting, with a default value of 1 and executes a special function if that default value is detected. That function sets the cvar to 0 and then executes the server restart/crash logic. Provided nothing tinkers with that cvar and the plugin is loaded at all times the cvar will only ever be set to 1 on server start, when Galileo initially registers it. It also writes some extra information into a file so it knows what the last played map is.

If you really need a time for the crash you could combine this method with a function that writes the current time into a file once per minute, so when you detect a server restart with the cvar you can use that stored time to give an estimate for the crash time.
AMX Mod X Moderator
Old 02-10-2015 , 23:08   Re: How to detect if server crashed?
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron9forever View Post
even bugsy's idea won't work because it won't give you the exact time of the crash and hosting providers usually fail to restart the server if the process is kill, then you won't get the accurate timestamp

What you want is very possible and easy to accomplish with PHP and a cron job if you have some knowledge in that area
I find it odd that GSP's would not re-start a crashed server. My method would work fine as long as the server gets restarted. If there is a restart service, you can detect a crash time within a few seconds of the crash.
Old 08-16-2018 , 08:45   Re: How to detect if server crashed?
Reply With Quote #14

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I think it's better to post here rather than opening a new topic. So my question is, what would be the best way to optimize a plug-in regarding saving to file vault? I'm developing a credits system that will give credits to players on every kill. Data is stored in a trie as cell by steamid. All works fine. My question here is about fvault. I know that a good idea would be to save everything before map changes, on plugin_end, but what if the server crashes? EntMod can crash servers and there is no possible way to fix that. It doesn't happen all the time and should not happen on maps designed for entmoving. So in my case, when do you think that it'll be best to save the credits to the file? Everytime credits are updated? I don't want people to come on the server after it crashed and realise that their credits are lower just because they couldn't be saved to the vault. The credits plug-in is not done, I just started working on it today. Thanks !

Last edited by DarthMan; 08-16-2018 at 08:46.
edon1337
Penguin Enthusiast
Old 08-16-2018 , 09:04   Re: How to detect if server crashed?
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMan View Post
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I think it's better to post here rather than opening a new topic. So my question is, what would be the best way to optimize a plug-in regarding saving to file vault? I'm developing a credits system that will give credits to players on every kill. Data is stored in a trie as cell by steamid. All works fine. My question here is about fvault. I know that a good idea would be to save everything before map changes, on plugin_end, but what if the server crashes? EntMod can crash servers and there is no possible way to fix that. It doesn't happen all the time and should not happen on maps designed for entmoving. So in my case, when do you think that it'll be best to save the credits to the file? Everytime credits are updated? I don't want people to come on the server after it crashed and realise that their credits are lower just because they couldn't be saved to the vault. The credits plug-in is not done, I just started working on it today. Thanks !
Memory consuming method:
- Set a task and repeat 1.0 second, close and re-open vault, save data.

Less memory consuming method:
- Close and re-open vault on round start, save data.
Old 08-16-2018 , 09:11   Re: How to detect if server crashed?
Reply With Quote #16

Having a task has nothing to do with consuming memory.
Old 08-16-2018 , 09:20   Re: How to detect if server crashed?
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KliPPy View Post
That's true. I think I'll keep it the way it was, saving to the vault everytime the credits are updated.
edon1337
Penguin Enthusiast
Old 08-16-2018 , 11:25   Re: How to detect if server crashed?
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KliPPy View Post
Saving data every second for 32 players isn't memory consuming?

Last edited by edon1337; 08-16-2018 at 11:29.
klippy
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-16-2018 , 11:49   Re: How to detect if server crashed?
Reply With Quote #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by edon1337 View Post
Saving data every second for 32 players isn't memory consuming?
You read the vault file and then write it - you are reusing memory, it's not consuming more. The frequency doesn't matter.

Last edited by klippy; 08-16-2018 at 11:50.
Ghosted
Veteran Member
Old 08-16-2018 , 11:52   Re: How to detect if server crashed?
Reply With Quote #20

I think he meant other thing.

[MOD] CS Weapon Mod V1.7.1
[MM] MetaMod-C V1.0
[MOD] CS NPC Mod (5%)

Probably Left AM