Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

General way of adding a cvar to disable/enable a plugin?

Post New Thread Reply   

carlS
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-03-2017 , 15:11   General way of adding a cvar to disable/enable a plugin?
Reply With Quote #1

Hi everyone,

I want some plugins on our servers to interact with each other. That means that the one plugin may enable/disable another plugin. Since some of the plugins aren't being developed any further I wanted to change some of them so that I have a cvar to disable/enable that plugin.

Is there a general way of achieving this or does that always depend on the plugin?

Thanks.

"Only the unknown frightens men. But once a man has faced the unknown, that terror becomes the known."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Weetabix
Old 03-03-2017 , 17:37   Re: General way of adding a cvar to disable/enable a plugin?
Reply With Quote #2

Convars or natives is my guess.
shanapu
Veteran Member
Old 03-03-2017 , 17:56   Re: General way of adding a cvar to disable/enable a plugin?
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlmitC View Post

Is there a general way of achieving this or does that always depend on the plugin?

Thanks.
It's depending on the plugin. You must investigate the code and find where the functions apply.
I was faced with the same problem with myjailbreak and ended with a mix of creating convars & natives. Whether you use natives or convars is depending on the plugins & the way they need to interact with each other.

Last edited by shanapu; 03-03-2017 at 17:58.
carlS
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-03-2017 , 18:01   Re: General way of adding a cvar to disable/enable a plugin?
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanapu View Post
It's depending on the plugin. You must investigate the code and find where the functions apply.
I was faced with the same problem with myjailbreak and ended with a mix of creating convars & natives. Whether you use natives or convars is depending on the plugins & the way they need to interact with each other.
Thanks for the answer, just wanted to make sure that I don't start getting into the code and in the end i didn't even need to.
I'll have to try to get it working with one convar in the end, because the best way for my other plugins would be if they could just change that one.

"Only the unknown frightens men. But once a man has faced the unknown, that terror becomes the known."
headline
SourceMod Moderator
Old 03-03-2017 , 18:06   Re: General way of adding a cvar to disable/enable a plugin?
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Thanks for the answer, just wanted to make sure that I don't start getting into the code and in the end i didn't even need to.
I'll have to try to get it working with one convar in the end, because the best way for my other plugins would be if they could just change that one.
I mean, you should always have some sort of algorithm or plan before you start doing anything.

If you have a plugin in which you want to create a convar to disable it, just don't allow it's commands & gameplay modifications to be called if the convar says it should be disabled. For example, in command callbacks just tell the user it's disabled. Simple stuff like that
sdz
Old 03-03-2017 , 22:56   Re: General way of adding a cvar to disable/enable a plugin?
Reply With Quote #6

or, or, or..
FindConVar
carlS
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-04-2017 , 09:23   Re: General way of adding a cvar to disable/enable a plugin?
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasSidezz View Post
or, or, or..
FindConVar
Yes, I wanted to do it somewhat like that, because the plugin consists of multiple files and I'd need always to check that specific cvar, right?

sdz
Old 03-04-2017 , 10:41   Re: General way of adding a cvar to disable/enable a plugin?
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Yes, I wanted to do it somewhat like that, because the plugin consists of multiple files and I'd need always to check that specific cvar, right?
Yeah, you could run FindConVar on OnAllPluginsLoaded, assign a global Handle to it then HookConVarChange that Handle

Last edited by sdz; 03-04-2017 at 10:41.