No MOTD in Panorama

Post New Thread Reply   

Lubricant Jam
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-09-2018 , 15:16   Re: No MOTD in Panorama
Reply With Quote #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaK View Post
A developer at Valve said the motd will be fixed? Proof?
Doesn't say it'll be fixed but it definitely shouldn't be like it.

https://twitter.com/basisspace/statu...85918161649665
sneaK
SourceMod Moderator
Old 07-09-2018 , 18:52   Re: No MOTD in Panorama
Reply With Quote #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubricant Jam View Post
Doesn't say it'll be fixed but it definitely shouldn't be like it.

https://twitter.com/basisspace/statu...85918161649665
Oh, the 2 month old hopeful tweet that's been shared around.

A lot can change in 2 months, especially at Valve. Perhaps a reason was found not to include it. Until we see it added again, or an actual confirmation of the motd being re-added in the future, I won't be holding my breath.
Old 07-18-2018 , 01:42   Re: No MOTD in Panorama
Reply With Quote #53

I had to post here as the people supporting motd ads in this thread are doing a poor job representing communities that run ads for their servers. Wanted to add my 2 cents also.

People often tie "profit" with greed, but it's also a means to support communities that DO A GOOD JOB. There are servers out there advertise their server as Ad Free since they think it's toxic, but end up empty since they do a poor job running a game server. On the other hand, some run ads normally like many servers do and do extremely well with plenty of players supporting them, not thinking ads are toxic, but instead thinking ads are helpful for the community they love. No correlation statement here, but just stating that it's invalid to say most motd ad servers are run poorly while no motd ad servers are run better.

Profit is more often tied with supporting those who are productive, rather than what Hollywood portrays it as greed. Yes there are bad people with bad intentions out there, especially in the finance industry, but to label every community out there that rely on ads as greedy or foolish (like saying if you don't have money you shouldn't run it) is just wrong.

Sure, if ads are playing in your server and players don't support your server, then perhaps the server owner should do something else as the playerbase is telling them something, but for those who are supported by many players, and to say using a business model isn't okay to do what you love, just because your poor, is kind of wrong too don't you think? It's like telling all those content creators on youtube they shouldn't do what they are doing since they can't afford to do it without a profit model that they EARNED. As for the donator model argument, a lot of communities do accept donations on top of ads, and not many players can afford to donate and watching ads are a great way for them to do so.

Ads have a bad rep in motd's since MOTDGD, one of the most popular services in motd ads, fails to fight with their publishers to lower their stupid volume in their ads. If it wasn't for this one thing (oh Pinion's forced opened windows also were so bad but who uses those guys anymore anyways with their poor customer service) then in my opinion the ads wouldn't be so frowned upon as it is today. MOTDgd btw does a great job despite this one hiccup and really cares for the community both owners and sourcemod. But not all motd ad services out there blast their volume on max, and I think it's unfair for all these motd services to close their doors because of biased opinions. Not to mention some of these motd providers probably rely on the business to make ends meet.

As long as players have a choice to not play on the server, motd ads shouldn't be disabled. So many people focus so much on their bias against ads, that they forget many players CHOOSE to play on the servers with ads to support them. Using an appropriate business model to do what server owners love, especially poor ones, is also not wrong and is pretty classless to say only the rich can run servers. It's like saying open-source software shouldn't be made unless you can do fine without raising funds for it, which is not the case and open-source is all about supporting profit-models too, especially if there is a demand for the product and people love it. There are plenty of open-source projects that do well with financial support (it's not like people use the money to buy luxurious items, it just helps for people who are poor and if demand is high enough they can even hire people and give people jobs) and it helps developers focus on building the product.

It would suck to see Valve discontinue motd ads, as I've seen smaller games like Fistful of Frags lose a lot of community servers after disabling theirs. I don't recall them growing at all since, even before the developer for that game stopped working on it. I also did noticed a lot of community servers abandoning the game after they've discontinued their motds. It's not that communities are only profit minded, it's just a lot of communities will struggle without any sort of funding for their personal financial situations. And sure, there are plenty of games that don't rely on community, and do well without this model, but their reasoning to do so is invalid and unnecessary, and would hurt a lot of people in the process. But honestly, for games like sourcemod's the community servers serve as a huge portion of the experience, and many of my players solely choose to play on community servers. I don't think it is "forcing ads" in any way as players CHOOSE to play on the servers and always have the option to play on a different one that doesn't run ads. Not to mention a lot of developers here get some help financially too from a lot of servers owners that run ads.

Thought this was important and should have been said. Hope many of you would agree. Thank you.

-------
P.S. I think GSLT is off topic from motd ads and don't mind valve doubling down on server owners that threaten valve's business model (with skins and such).
Fastmancz sorry but I disagree with a lot of what you said and misrepresent our side of the argument.
As for ghostofmybrain's comment
Quote:
I whole-heartedly agree. It made people want to develop a community rather than provide a bunch of shiny stuff to lure a few kids in for a few minutes to get that ad revenue. Server providers had to go for quality over quantity, and the game has suffered tremendously since that model has changed.
This is not true for every community server and plenty of motd ad communities want to develop a community and it shows with a large player base and on the other hand plenty of server spammers that suck have no players (the ones you are referring to). Ads or not, it doesn't make a difference and not every player out there are "kids" looking to use "shiny stuff" and spend a few minutes and leave. What's up with that comment? So most servers are running because they offer shiny stuff and they have kids coming in and out for a few minutes?

Asherkin, I have a lot of respect for alliedmodders and you, but I have to whole-heartedly disagree. If you are referring to people making their plugins private, people who do so will do so whether motd ads are available or not. I think it is a little far stretched to say motd ads hurt the community and competition between community servers or even developers (despite motd's or even servers being part of it or not) will always be there depending on each individual's motives whether motd ads are a thing or not. I completely respect your position and I'm sure you have way more insight then I do, but I have to say this is really difficult to confirm even if data is part of your analysis as there are plenty of unmeasurable factors involved (like actually reading people's minds and accounting for their bias and how sometimes people just become inactive for a variety of personal reasons). And if I'm not mistaken, developers wanting to make some of their work private and some shared was a common thing before motd ads were introduced. It's just like mapping too, where I don't often see people pay for maps, nevertheless, creators want some of their work private so it can stand out, while they contribute to give back with many of their other works.

Last edited by turtle1man1; 07-18-2018 at 03:41. Reason: accuracy
ddhoward
Veteran Member
Old 07-18-2018 , 04:23   Re: No MOTD in Panorama
Reply With Quote #54

I once played on a TF2 server where the admins opened up a "hidden" motd window in the game's background on another client. The page was "Sad violin ear rape edition" on YouTube.

After a short delay, the player was then banned from the server, which apparently doesn't unload the motd. So, it continued to play even at the main menu.

At the very least, the MOTD needs a serious overhaul.

Last edited by ddhoward; 07-18-2018 at 04:23.
Neuro Toxin
Veteran Member
Old 07-18-2018 , 18:15   Re: No MOTD in Panorama
Reply With Quote #55

Valve need to introduce a proper method to open web windows.

I remember years ago when our popup hack stopped working. I wrote in the mailing list and in the steam forums explaining our hack to open the motd window. Shorty after a patch was released to fix the issue.

This demonstrates Valve does care and does listen. Currently the server mailing list blocks all new posts awaiting approval while it appears noone is approving them. Probably thanks to that troll winding everyone up about exploits.

I believe the ShowMOTDPanel needs to be patched to send the url through the clients steam overlay browser with the normal steam redirecting page you see from following urls in steam messages.

I currently have this: https://steamcommunity.com/app/730/d...5977588418810/

We should probably come together with how we want ShowMOTDPanel to work in panorama and make a post. Then all reply in it to get some noise going.

My above mentioned process would require csgo and steam client devs to work together which i imagine wouldnt be a quick code up.

Last edited by Neuro Toxin; 07-18-2018 at 18:24.
Ejziponken
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-18-2018 , 22:41   Re: No MOTD in Panorama
Reply With Quote #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuro Toxin View Post
Valve need to introduce a proper method to open web windows.

I remember years ago when our popup hack stopped working. I wrote in the mailing list and in the steam forums explaining our hack to open the motd window. Shorty after a patch was released to fix the issue.

This demonstrates Valve does care and does listen. Currently the server mailing list blocks all new posts awaiting approval while it appears noone is approving them. Probably thanks to that troll winding everyone up about exploits.

I believe the ShowMOTDPanel needs to be patched to send the url through the clients steam overlay browser with the normal steam redirecting page you see from following urls in steam messages.

I currently have this: https://steamcommunity.com/app/730/d...5977588418810/

We should probably come together with how we want ShowMOTDPanel to work in panorama and make a post. Then all reply in it to get some noise going.

My above mentioned process would require csgo and steam client devs to work together which i imagine wouldnt be a quick code up.
Are u using the new mailinglist? Mine got posted right away almost.
https://list.valvesoftware.com/csgo_...hreads/2018/07
8guawong
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-18-2018 , 22:52   Re: No MOTD in Panorama
Reply With Quote #57

Latest csgo update
Quote:
PSA: The Panorama version of the game will be enabled for everybody before the end of the month.
Hopefully motd will be fixed by then
Old 07-19-2018 , 00:13   Re: No MOTD in Panorama
Reply With Quote #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejziponken View Post
Are u using the new mailinglist? Mine got posted right away almost.
https://list.valvesoftware.com/csgo_...hreads/2018/07
Rofl. No i didnt!!!

Do we think asking for a rework of the motd function through the overlay is reasonable?
Old 07-19-2018 , 01:13   Re: No MOTD in Panorama
Reply With Quote #59

This is a serious problem. They ignore us again. We all have to send an email to Valve company ([email protected] and include #PanoramaUI in your subject line). We need to tell them to add the MOTD VGUI window, before the Panorama release.

Main owner of the CMGPORTAL.CZ.
---------------------------------------
My plugins:
[CS:GO] Panorama - Timeleft
[CS:GO] JailBreak - Be quiet, please!

Last edited by Fastmancz; 07-19-2018 at 01:15.
ASKER_CZ
BANNED
Old 07-19-2018 , 06:06   Re: No MOTD in Panorama
Reply With Quote #60

I guess Its time to panic. Valve Is ultra stupid . They do not realize, that community makes the game . Not these official servers full of hackers. What a boring shit to play nonstop matchmaking And nothing more . But they dont get it .