Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

This forum keeps giving my computer the BetterSurf adware/virus

Post New Thread Reply   

404UserNotFound
BANNED
Old 01-29-2014 , 20:51   This forum keeps giving my computer the BetterSurf adware/virus
Reply With Quote #1

I keep getting popups on this site, of the following URL (DO NOT VISIT IT)

Code:
http://rvzr-a.akamaihd.net/sd/cpops-1.2.0.html?u=http%3A%2F%2Frvzr-a.akamaihd.net%2Fsd%2Fapps%2Ffusionx%2F0.0.4.html%3Faff%3D4300-1009&p=BetterSurf
This seems to try to install the BetterSurf adware on my computer, leading Microsoft Security Essentials to close down my Firefox and get me to quarantine/remove the infection.

This popup only appears on these forums, oddly enough, and even more odd is that I use Adblock Plus and the up to date HOSTS file from MVPS.org
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 01-29-2014 , 21:42   Re: This forum keeps giving my computer the BetterSurf adware/virus
Reply With Quote #2

From what I can gather based on the information provided by Microsoft about BetterSurf, the issues you're having are due to already being infected.

Quote:
BetterSurf displays ads to you as you browse the Internet, both in websites and on search engine results [...] It may also sometimes redirect you from where you wanted to go, and instead ask you to install software on your PC or ask you to complete surveys.
The URL you provided matches the screenshot of the 2nd behavior exactly, including the "Ads by BetterSurf" branding.

While you may sometimes see malware warnings (from programs such as Google's or Microsoft's) when browsing the forums, this happens due to images being hotlinked and the domain blacklist not taking into account content - there is no actual risk (browsers are smart enough to only allow inclusion of images with an img tag). Users cannot embed arbitrary HTML anywhere on the forum.

Last edited by asherkin; 01-29-2014 at 21:42.
msleeper
Veteran Member
Old 01-29-2014 , 22:03   Re: This forum keeps giving my computer the BetterSurf adware/virus
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
misleading title

Last edited by msleeper; 01-29-2014 at 22:04.
Mitchell
~lick~
Old 01-29-2014 , 22:23   Re: This forum keeps giving my computer the BetterSurf adware/virus
Reply With Quote #4

you just told every one that you were infected. lulz
404UserNotFound
BANNED
Old 01-29-2014 , 22:53   Re: This forum keeps giving my computer the BetterSurf adware/virus
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by msleeper View Post
Yes, yes you are.

Also, I've checked my list of installed programs. BetterSurf ain't on it. I don't have the BetterSurf "extension" installed in Firefox either.

And yet the popups are still appearing. Excuse me while I go torch my hard drive.

Last edited by 404UserNotFound; 01-29-2014 at 23:01.
ddhoward
Veteran Member
Old 01-30-2014 , 00:57   Re: This forum keeps giving my computer the BetterSurf adware/virus
Reply With Quote #6

Is Spybot S&D still the preferred antispyware solution out there? Haven't looked into new stuff in a while.
Old 01-30-2014 , 13:53   Re: This forum keeps giving my computer the BetterSurf adware/virus
Reply With Quote #7

It wouldn't be a very good virus if you could find it in the list of installed programs, now would it?

It is probably hiding somewhere in a hidden folder. You should scan your system with your preferred anti virus program.

No one except you is getting this popup, which further tells us that you are infected, not the site.

If you can't get rid of it you only have one option; format.
404UserNotFound
BANNED
Old 01-30-2014 , 13:59   Re: This forum keeps giving my computer the BetterSurf adware/virus
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelle View Post
It wouldn't be a very good virus if you could find it in the list of installed programs, now would it?

It is probably hiding somewhere in a hidden folder. You should scan your system with your preferred anti virus program.

No one except you is getting this popup, which further tells us that you are infected, not the site.

If you can't get rid of it you only have one option; format.
It's not a virus as it turns out, just a really shitty coupon-based adware that can be uninstalled.

I also blocked the raw URL in my hosts file, and thus far, no more infections and popups.
ANTICHRISTUS
kingdom of weird stuff
Old 01-30-2014 , 16:31   Re: This forum keeps giving my computer the BetterSurf adware/virus
Reply With Quote #9

if it's a known virus, it won't be so hard for any antivirus to remove it, so why not to try ?
Old 01-31-2014 , 08:03   Re: This forum keeps giving my computer the BetterSurf adware/virus
Reply With Quote #10

Since were on topic of the better surf adware, McAfee caught one on my sister's laptop.