Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[ANY] Async - Efficient event based HTTPS client. HTTP2 and Compression supported

Post New Thread Reply   

bottiger
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-23-2015 , 03:38   Re: [ANY] Async - Efficient event based HTTP client
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleS View Post
Lorph,

Boost is almost always a significant regression in any project.
Unfortunately not in this case. Believe me, I would rather use the standard library.

TF2 is tied to an older version of libstdc++ which does not have support for unordered map and set. People say statically linking libstdc++ causes problems so I opted for Boost.
Old 04-23-2015 , 07:36   Re: [ANY] Async - Efficient event based HTTP client
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottiger View Post
Unfortunately not in this case. Believe me, I would rather use the standard library.

TF2 is tied to an older version of libstdc++ which does not have support for unordered map and set. People say statically linking libstdc++ causes problems so I opted for Boost.
What is wrong with the following: https://github.com/alliedmodders/amt...master/include
Old 04-23-2015 , 10:50   Re: [ANY] Async - Efficient event based HTTP client
Reply With Quote #13

thank you for this extension, what you claim is true about socket and curl. Socket has a limit of 64 char as a host which caused me trouble in the past (cloud hosting) and Curl always was a pain to work with. Steamwork will never break (probably, never say never lol) but it is really nice to see a community extension alike that we don't have to depend on volvo.

Any plan to support window?

Last edited by Mathias.; 04-23-2015 at 10:52.
bottiger
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-23-2015 , 14:46   Re: [ANY] Async - Efficient event based HTTP client
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard65 View Post
I don't know how to use those and wasn't aware they existed. If you want to submit a patch to use that, I will accept it.

However all I needed to do to compile with boost is type apt-get install libboost1.55-dev so that was the simple and fastest option for me.

I will not be maintaining a build for windows because I do not use windows servers. There is no platform specific code so it should compile cleanly.

Also I was using SteamTools up until recently which stopped working correctly for me which is why I am updating this extension again.

Last edited by bottiger; 04-23-2015 at 14:48.
WildCard65
Veteran Member
Old 04-26-2015 , 16:36   Re: [ANY] Async - Efficient event based HTTP client
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottiger View Post
I don't know how to use those and wasn't aware they existed. If you want to submit a patch to use that, I will accept it.

However all I needed to do to compile with boost is type apt-get install libboost1.55-dev so that was the simple and fastest option for me.

I will not be maintaining a build for windows because I do not use windows servers. There is no platform specific code so it should compile cleanly.

Also I was using SteamTools up until recently which stopped working correctly for me which is why I am updating this extension again.
What game were you using steamtools with? If it's tf2, then go file a bug report in the Steamtools section, if it's not tf2, then try SteamWorks extension whick works with all games.
Old 04-26-2015 , 22:56   Re: [ANY] Async - Efficient event based HTTP client
Reply With Quote #16

It is with tf2 and I already filed a report which Asherkin said he could not reproduce it.
Old 04-27-2015 , 03:51   Re: [ANY] Async - Efficient event based HTTP client
Reply With Quote #17

Pretty much everything steamtools does steamworks does, so should not be too many problems
Dr. Greg House
Professional Troll,
Part-Time Asshole
Old 04-27-2015 , 07:34   Re: [ANY] Async - Efficient event based HTTP client
Reply With Quote #18

Please read the posts, this discussion is about to repeat itself.

Watch out when you're paying people for private requests! Most stuff already exists and you can hardly assess the quality of what you'll get, and if it's worth the money.
Electr000999
Old 04-27-2015 , 15:45   Re: [ANY] Async - Efficient event based HTTP client
Reply With Quote #19

bottiger, windows versions worth the wait?
Send a message via Skype™ to Electr000999
bottiger
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-27-2015 , 18:58   Re: [ANY] Async - Efficient event based HTTP client
Reply With Quote #20

SteamWorks may not have the bug, but I have no reason to believe there is anything wrong with Asherkin's code and nearly all the logic is handled in the steamclient library. Since steamworks is public, I also have no reason to believe opensteamworks is accessing the library incorrectly. Therefore the problem lies within the steamclient library itself.

I've been running Async for the past couple days without any issues so I am committed to using this as my primary HTTP extension now. It also has other benefits such as being able to tell the exact reason why a request failed and the latest Curl features (though it seems like Valve finally added ECDSA support to steamclient).

As I've said multiple times I am not building a windows version. I don't have a windows build environment and I don't want to compile all the other dependencies on windows. On Linux, every dependency except libuv can be added simply by typing "apt-get install library-abc". If someone compiles async for windows, they can probably do it without any code changes. If there are any changes needed, I will accept them.

I personally wouldn't wait for a windows build because there's no telling when someone else will step up to the task. If you are using windows then I would continue using steamtools/steamworks/curl and then change your plugin when someone finally builds it on windows. You should only need to change 2-3 lines of code.

Last edited by bottiger; 04-27-2015 at 19:04.