Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Ghost Players on server

Post New Thread Reply   

Ade
I love purple
Old 08-13-2011 , 15:46   Re: Ghost Players on server
Reply With Quote #41

i didn't come up with the fix, the other n threads about ghost players did. plus it worked wonders for me and some friends
Old 08-13-2011 , 17:42   Re: Ghost Players on server
Reply With Quote #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
Yeah, sorry, I was busy last night and didn't report that Valve delayed it.
It's okay, I just wanted an excuse to use the emoticon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher Dunn <[email protected]>
No Orange Box update today. The one we wanted to release includes new steam binaries, and they require new versions of libstdc++.so. Many older linux distributions commonly in use do not have the proper libs, and they aren't available simply by installing a package. So releasing it as is would be very disruptive. Figuring out the best way to package it to create minimum disruption, and get it tested, is taking longer than expected.
Silly Linux guys. Screw 'em and release the update already. Windows SRCDS runs better anyway.

*I'm kidding, but I guess you could say that Linux is quite fragmented due to the various distributions and their feature differences (instead of something more standardized like Windows or OSX), so I'm sure this kind of problem occurs every once in a while. And for those who will say I'm biased towards Windows SRCDS since all my servers are Windows, I did have a Debian Lenny TF2 server for a few months (which included the Replay update) and all that thing ever did was crash or intermittently lag all day every day. Installed Server 2003 x64 on same server, problems gone.*
Old 08-13-2011 , 22:44   Re: Ghost Players on server
Reply With Quote #43

The reason Windows SRCDS runs better is because Valve seems to behave as if the Linux DS is just a port; it isn't, it's an entirely different operating system and it works quite differently.

Heck, I don't even think it threads decently on linux; I've only ever noticed TF2 running on one processor, instead of distributing threads across all the available processors on my server. Heck, remember when replays just came out, and finding out that valve tried to stuff replay processing on the main thread alongside EVERYTHING else?

"If you're not willing to do it right, don't get involved with security or Explosive Ordinance Disposal."
Jstn7477
Old 08-13-2011 , 23:26   Re: Ghost Players on server
Reply With Quote #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
The reason Windows SRCDS runs better is because Valve seems to behave as if the Linux DS is just a port; it isn't, it's an entirely different operating system and it works quite differently.

Heck, I don't even think it threads decently on linux; I've only ever noticed TF2 running on one processor, instead of distributing threads across all the available processors on my server. Heck, remember when replays just came out, and finding out that valve tried to stuff replay processing on the main thread alongside EVERYTHING else?
Very true. Linux is great at running other many things (websites, voice servers, etc. come to mind first) securely, for a long time without needing restarts, and with a small footprint, but SRCDS just plain sucks on it. I don't really mean to bash Linux or anything, it's just so happens that it's not great for SRCDS due to the lack of optimizations compared to Windows SRCDS, bugs, etc. The autoupdate feature and automatic reboots after crashes is convenient, but if the Steam servers are packed during an update, the server fails to update and you have to go in there and restart the server anyway.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-21-2011 , 15:32   Re: Ghost Players on server
Reply With Quote #45

Did an optional update get deployed? How do you even opt in for an optional update?
Kjaer
Old 08-21-2011 , 16:15   Re: Ghost Players on server
Reply With Quote #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraka View Post
Did an optional update get deployed? How do you even opt in for an optional update?
You update your server.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-23-2011 , 16:59   Re: Ghost Players on server
Reply With Quote #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraka View Post
The difference between required and optional updates are the servers with -autoupdate set aren't automatically updated for optional updates.

Also, the version number doesn't change, so things like Nemrun and SRCDS Admin don't recognize optional updates (I know Nemrun doesn't, I haven't tested SRCDS Admin)
Veteran Member
Old 08-24-2011 , 07:32   Re: Ghost Players on server
Reply With Quote #48

Seems they have fixed. Have run default settings few days and no single ghost.