Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Very Weird dedicated server issue - help!

Post New Thread Reply   

I3lade203
Old 09-22-2007 , 12:18   Very Weird dedicated server issue - help!
Reply With Quote #1

Hi, recently I set up a dedicated server for myself, and everything runs great. People can all connect, nothing lags, amx mod runs extremely smooth, and I'm very happy with it all in all.

However, the issue that I'm having deals with the server appearing on the steam list. If I open a port, say 27016, and start the server it registers on the master list no problems and anyone can see it and join. BUT! If I close the server, and then restart it without making any changes to anything, using that same port, the server still says it's registering on the console, but never shows up on the steam list! If I change the port again, it will show up. But if I restart using the changed port, the server will no longer register on the original 27016 port OR the one I changed it to.

Does anyone have any idea at all why this is happening? I've been trying to run my server 24/7, but there are a few instances where i've needed to shut it down for maintenance, and it's awfully painful to do that if I have to change the port every time, because there's no way in hell I'll build up server regulars if the IP keeps changing. I really appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by I3lade203; 09-22-2007 at 12:29.
TheNewt
Donor
Old 09-22-2007 , 14:46   Re: Very Weird dedicated server issue - help!
Reply With Quote #2

Check the servers internal IP address match it with the router's port forwarding, and return to me with results.
I3lade203
Old 09-22-2007 , 15:05   Re: Very Weird dedicated server issue - help!
Reply With Quote #3

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to ports and port forwarding, so forgive me if i've given you the wrong information.

In my routers port forwarding area, I have the following done:

TFC; 27010 - 27020; 192.168.1.4; UDP/TCP
I initally used port 27010, but after my problem arrose I had to change to 27011, and then 27012, ect. each time I wanted to restart and have my server on the master list.

My servers masked ip adress is of course, 192.168.1.4:port#
My servers actual ip adress, the one that people connect to, is 69.113.1.68:port#

If I gave the wrong information or if you need more information please let me know. Thanks.
TheNewt
Donor
Old 09-22-2007 , 15:37   Re: Very Weird dedicated server issue - help!
Reply With Quote #4

you gave right info... mmm you said masked though..
Are you talking about your subnet mask? (That should be 255.255.255.0)
Gateway should be your router's ip address. and then internal ip is w/e you want it to be.
I3lade203
Old 09-22-2007 , 15:40   Re: Very Weird dedicated server issue - help!
Reply With Quote #5

I guses I meant internal ip, I just used mask because I thought that's what it was called, used the wrong term.

Anyway, any idea why i'm having this issue? Later when I get the chance i'm going to see if closing and re-opening the 'dead' (already used) ports will solve the issue, but aside from that I can't think of anything else I can do besides opening a new port every time I want to restart.
TheNewt
Donor
Old 09-22-2007 , 15:41   Re: Very Weird dedicated server issue - help!
Reply With Quote #6

do you have port specified on the server console? what does the server console say it's port/ipaddress is?
I3lade203
Old 09-22-2007 , 16:22   Re: Very Weird dedicated server issue - help!
Reply With Quote #7

The server console says my ip/port is 192.168.1.4:port#; port# being the port I specified. So yeah, it does in fact say it's the right port, and people CAN join the server, but the server won't appear on the master list after the second restart.
I3lade203
Old 09-25-2007 , 10:03   Re: Very Weird dedicated server issue - help!
Reply With Quote #8

Sorry to bump my post, but I still can't seem to solve this issue. Does anyone have any ideas?
Pro Patria Finland
Old 09-26-2007 , 16:39   Re: Very Weird dedicated server issue - help!
Reply With Quote #9

Change the IP to your external ip.
Old 09-27-2007 , 09:48   Re: Very Weird dedicated server issue - help!
Reply With Quote #10

How would I go about doing that?