Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Multi-threading

Post New Thread Reply   

Li0n
Old 05-04-2004 , 18:02   Multi-threading
Reply With Quote #1

and what about a real bug-free multi-threading module ? (unlike the amxmod module)
Old 05-04-2004 , 19:52  
Reply With Quote #2

Id like a module that lowers CPU load & makes me food to!!!!
BAILOPAN
Old 05-04-2004 , 20:02  
Reply With Quote #3

while instaneous food distribution (IFD) is being worked on, sadly AMXx is not threading safe.

I will not make a threading module for one reason: programmers don't know how to use it properly. When I first tried it, I did not know AMX was not threading safe and my apps crashed.

I will try to make multithreading callback based modules that are isolated - for specific purposes. Multithreading mysql, sockets, etc... but not a module for "do anything in a thread".
Veteran Member
Old 05-04-2004 , 20:32  
Reply With Quote #4

well, When i was playing with my HLRally stats plugin. I got the idea that you could make some functions multithreaded. ( Not realy mulittread, but have this spesfic function run in another thread then the rest is.) I do assume that if a plugin is triggered everything it does when triggered will be done in 1 server frame. ( Ie if i do "amx_ban IDIOT" everything the plugin that handels this command has do to to finnish bannig will be done in 1 server frame. )

That way plugins that do "heavy" calulations can do this in a seperate thread(Sort of a low pri thread, that all plugins can send tasks to). When its not importent that the calculation is done "exacly" at a spesfic time.

If i continue with my HLR stats plugin example. The plugin depends heavly on catching events, and collects info. But when a player finnishes a lap, his time is compared up against a TopX list. This calculation does not realy need to be finnished in the same server frame that he crossed the Goal line, but it is somewhat CPU heave ( At least the most CPU heavy thing i never made ).

This is just a idea i got when playing around with it, dunno how easly it would be to impliment.
BAILOPAN
Old 05-04-2004 , 20:55  
Reply With Quote #5

it doesn't matter, the point is executing threaded functions is not safe in the amxx core with any native that uses strings.
Veteran Member
Old 05-04-2004 , 21:16  
Reply With Quote #6

ok, to bad. Is it planned for any upcomming release ? Or to much rewrite required to make it work?
BAILOPAN
Old 05-04-2004 , 21:28  
Reply With Quote #7

making amxx threading safe would be a very very difficult task. It's not feasible right now. the best idea is to make modules which are isolated in their own threading mechanisms