Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Solved [L4D2] looking for SRCDS host providers

Post New Thread Reply   

Morning
Old 01-22-2022 , 07:21   [L4D2] looking for SRCDS host providers
Reply With Quote #1

Sorry if this isn't the right place for this!

I've been developing a server for the past year from my home connection on a dedicated linux box, and am looking to switch to a commercial provider, basically for performance reasons only.

I was wondering about the differences between providers, and am trying to find something suitable for me.

I'm running sourcemod, metamod, l4dtoolz, some workshop maps and mods. I write and compile my own plugins and have a separate web server for materials/media. At the moment I am using sqlite, but at some point in the future, I want to switch over to using an external mySQL database. I also want to continue running my home development server so I can work on plugins and upload any changes onto the rented server. All I need is SSH / SFTP access, but basically full ability to configure the server.

After googling and looking at providers, it seems like there is a lot of flexibilty missing. Many offer ready-to-go installations, with platforms which let you "mod" your servers by giving them a list of workshop id's. You have to pay for "extra slots" and some force you to put their banner on your motd.

How is it that they can have so much control over your server if they are not the administrators?

Is there anything that would be suitable for me as I have never rented before and want complete control over my server?

Thanks in advance for any guidance or resources!

Last edited by Morning; 01-31-2022 at 07:50.
DerWiener
Old 01-23-2022 , 03:14   Re: [L4D2] looking for SRCDS host providers
Reply With Quote #2

If you want full flexibility and control there is really only one option which is to get your own server (vps or dedicated). A vps not even be (much) more expensive than a normal game server, depending on the slot count and provider. But a vps/dedicated server comes with more responsibility and more administration work.
Morning
Old 01-31-2022 , 07:49   Re: [L4D2] looking for SRCDS host providers
Reply With Quote #3

Thanks DerWiener, this is what I was looking at, I think I need a VPS or dedicated. I was looking at the wrong type of service providers!