Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Win 7 RC1

Post New Thread Reply   

Roach
Writes love letters to sawce Daily
Old 05-05-2009 , 06:27   Win 7 RC1
Reply With Quote #1

For those of you who were not able to get in on the beta, the new Win 7 Release Candidate is now out, and Microsoft is meeting the demand for the number of downloads by not limiting the number of keys that they are distributing.

Be forewarned though, if you are a user of the beta now, you have to scrub your drive clean and do a fresh install, otherwise you might end up getting more trouble than you would like. Apparently the RC fixes a few bugs and so forth, but laying the RC on top of the beta doesn't go so well, and MS is looking for feedback mostly from fresh installs.

I have the beta on my machine, and lemme tell you, it FLIES. I suggest picking up a copy. They are good until July 2010, and Win 7 should be out before then, so you have some time to test drive your possible new OS before it hits shelves.

Here is the link to the RC page: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win.../download.aspx

Take this with more than a grain of salt, remember that this is a RELEASE CANDIDATE. There will be bugs, and some of them can be nasty. If you are not comfortable with running beta/RC software on your machine, DON'T RUN THIS. Instead, stick with what you got. Otherwise, I would suggest you install this RC. The beta ran pretty flawlessly on my machine, and I expect the RC to run even better, considering its closer to release and it should look DEAD sexy from the screenies I have been seeing. Even the new wallpapers look better than the normal Vista fare. The OS uses less memory, and apparently the new bugfixes and so forth might show some even better memory usage and so forth. Just back everything up and install.
Now replace the word "good" with "dumb".
What was your rationale for proposing such a thing?
BOYSplayCS
BANNED
Old 05-05-2009 , 06:38   Re: Win 7 RC1
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Take this with more than a grain of salt, remember that this is a RELEASE CANDIDATE. There will be bugs, and some of them can be nasty.
It's Microsoft, what would we expect?
Emp`
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 05-05-2009 , 12:50   Re: Win 7 RC1
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
They are good until July 2010
I read somewhere that in March 2010, the RC will only allow you to use it for 2 hours before turning off.
Send a message via AIM to Emp` Send a message via MSN to Emp` Send a message via Yahoo to Emp` Send a message via Skype™ to Emp`
Styles
Veteran Member
Old 05-05-2009 , 13:30   Re: Win 7 RC1
Reply With Quote #4

Wait, it really only allows you to use it for two hours? I can't belive that...
Send a message via AIM to Styles
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 05-05-2009 , 14:09   Re: Win 7 RC1
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emp` View Post
I read somewhere that in March 2010, the RC will only allow you to use it for 2 hours before turning off.
Yes, but only after March 1, 2010.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...tructions.aspx
Quote:
IMPORTANT: The RC will expire on June 1, 2010. Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will notify you two weeks before the bi-hourly shutdowns start. To avoid interruption, you'll need to rebuild your test machine using a valid version of Windows before the software expires. You'll need to rebuild your test PC to replace the OS and reinstall all your programs and data. (To learn more, see Frequently asked questions.)
I'm downloading right now. I'm currently running XP and I will never buy Vista .
Old 05-05-2009 , 14:54   Re: Win 7 RC1
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOYSplayCS View Post
It's Microsoft, what would we expect?
A fairly quality product in my eyes.
Now replace the word "good" with "dumb".
What was your rationale for proposing such a thing?
BOYSplayCS
BANNED
Old 05-05-2009 , 17:00   Re: Win 7 RC1
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
A fairly quality product in my eyes.
Oh, I am sorry, I was thinking linux.

:X
vivalavida
Old 05-05-2009 , 18:33   Re: Win 7 RC1
Reply With Quote #8

yay done downloading now the decision is.. tri boot, or jsut throw it on another hard drive.. i always screw up dualbooting 2 windows OSs'
Veteran Member
Old 05-05-2009 , 19:21   Re: Win 7 RC1
Reply With Quote #9

I'm gonna install it independenly on my XP box with a different HD. (Disconnect my XP HD then install Win7).

I tired to set up my dual boot with two WinXPs but the second wouldn't boot by itselft and that pissed me off so I will always disconnect the other HD when installing OSs.

EDIT: Installed

All text is Fuzzy!!!! I hate it! Start Bar is dumb, needs to act more like XP (I want my Quick Launch back).

EDIT2: I had to create a special folder and add a custom toolbar and change a few settings and it is equivalent to Quicklaunch.

Last edited by fysiks; 05-06-2009 at 00:45.
vivalavida
Old 05-06-2009 , 05:24   Re: Win 7 RC1
Reply With Quote #10

im lookin forward to the toolbar since i actually have a touchscreen computer. and hopefully they get some cool stuff for multitouch computers or i wasted an extra 500$ pickin the multitouch hp isntead of the older touchscreen hp