Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Randomness (Feature request)

Post New Thread Reply   

PartialCloning
Old 09-01-2018 , 00:10   Randomness (Feature request)
Reply With Quote #1

random and random_num don't seem random. I don't have data to backup that claim but I found Module: RandomX while searching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Suzuka View Post
Ever needed a random number generator that actually SEEMED random?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Suzuka View Post
RandomX uses a random number generator called the "Mersenne Twister", which is one of the fastest random number generators availible, and is light years ahead of the current ones implimented in AMXx. This means high quality and inexpensive randomized variables.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mersenne_Twister

I can't get that module to load, but it should be implemented into 1.8.3.
PartialCloning
Old 09-02-2018 , 10:10   Re: Randomness (Feature request)
Reply With Quote #2

Not to bump the post, but I noticed amxx was just bumped to 1.9.0-dev. Would a better random number generator be considered before 1.9.0 is officially released?
klippy
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-02-2018 , 12:14   Re: Randomness (Feature request)
Reply With Quote #3

No more feature additions for 1.9.0 I guess.
Old 09-02-2018 , 13:12   Re: Randomness (Feature request)
Reply With Quote #4

I can vouch for this too, random/random_num generates the same value a few times in a row sometimes, doesn't even feel random.

Last edited by edon1337; 09-02-2018 at 13:12.
OciXCrom
Veteran Member
Old 09-02-2018 , 13:16   Re: Randomness (Feature request)
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KliPPy View Post
No more feature additions for 1.9.0 I guess.
It's marked as "dev", so hopefully it's not officially released yet. At least the admin commands should get a full update before doing that. Admins will be expecting new features for their servers. Most of the changes made until now are mainly for plugin development and code-related stuff.
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 09-02-2018 , 13:21   Re: Randomness (Feature request)
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OciXCrom View Post
It's marked as "dev", so hopefully it's not officially released yet. At least the admin commands should get a full update before doing that. Admins will be expecting new features for their servers. Most of the changes made until now are mainly for plugin development and code-related stuff.
I second that. Had planned to add long needed features but I keep getting sidetracked.
Old 09-02-2018 , 13:30   Re: Randomness (Feature request)
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamletEagle View Post
I second that. Had planned to add long needed features but I keep getting sidetracked.
I finished your "cmd_targetex" work and submitted it in a PR. When (if) it gets approved, I'll gladly update all the commands to use it, this will be a nice change for the admins.

Colored chat messages should also be a thing after all these years of development. People almost always end up replacing all the messages in the plugins by themselves.

Last edited by OciXCrom; 09-02-2018 at 13:30.
Send a message via Skype™ to OciXCrom
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 09-02-2018 , 14:19   Re: Randomness (Feature request)
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
If it isn't broken, you don't really need to fix it. However, adding new features to the front end isn't completely unwarranted but people had 5+ years to do it yet it wasn't done which implies that it's not really all that popular a thing. Also, there exists a plugin system for exactly this purpose, to add different, new, custom features to the out-of-the-box functionality.

Quote:
Colored chat messages should also be a thing after all these years of development
Colored chat messages are already "a thing", that's why the new native was added.

Quote:
People almost always end up replacing all the messages in the plugins by themselves.
Colored chat should not be added to the core files for two major reasons: 1) Not all mods have colored chat and 2) Colors are extremely subjective (and you don't have any proof to say "almost always replace all the messages"). The whole point of implementing top-level features in a plugin instead of the core modules is so that people can modify them!
Old 09-02-2018 , 14:43   Re: Randomness (Feature request)
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
If it isn't broken, you don't really need to fix it. However, adding new features to the front end isn't completely unwarranted but people had 5+ years to do it yet it wasn't done which implies that it's not really all that popular a thing. Also, there exists a plugin system for exactly this purpose, to add different, new, custom features to the out-of-the-box functionality.

Colored chat messages are already "a thing", that's why the new native was added.

Colored chat should not be added to the core files for two major reasons: 1) Not all mods have colored chat and 2) Colors are extremely subjective (and you don't have any proof to say "almost always replace all the messages"). The whole point of implementing top-level features in a plugin instead of the core modules is so that people can modify them!
Who said that something is broken? I'm saying that the plugins can be made much better than they are right now. That doesn't mean they're broken, it means they're outdated. I don't see many of the new functions being implemented in the main plugins.

Adding colored chat in the core is perfectly fine because client_print_color uses client_print instead if the game is not Counter-Strike, thus the messages will be colored only in CS and will be displayed without colors in other games. The only adjustment that needs to be made is client_print to skip ^1, ^3 and ^4 symbols instead of showing a huge blank space when they're there.
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 09-02-2018 , 17:39   Re: Randomness (Feature request)
Reply With Quote #10

No more features, for now, unless really small and easy to review. The goal right now is to make a news to tell what's happening, getting some attention to test the dev version, having some test period focusing mainly on bugfixes, preparing & releasing finally the thing. The future versions should happen faster (like SM, rolling cycle, much frequent stable release). The point is we need to involve better the community, we are really˛ in need of people who can contribute (thoughts, suggestions, reporting bugs, reviewing, reviewing more, etc.). The first step is to release the next version to get a solid base (it has been already 5 years fyi...). I wanted to improve admin stuff too but in the current situation, this is not sanely possible and it would take again much more time. Let's move one first then we can focus on admin stuff next.

Last edited by Arkshine; 09-02-2018 at 17:45.