Dr. Greg House
Professional Troll,
Part-Time Asshole
Old 07-26-2014 , 22:27   Re: About normals, tracerays and accuracy
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by friagram View Post
Not exactly sure why you are not using getplanenormal,[...]
Because of the "inaccuracies" we were talking about earlier.

Quote:
[...]so I don't see why you are using 89 degrees instead of 90.[...]
Absolute hail mary out of desperation. Someone else did this before.

Quote:
[...]Also, why add 100 to pos instead of using getclienteyeposition, not that it really matters.[...]
This was initially supposed to work for non-clients as well. This method has a max upward-slope it can detect, which depends on height and distance delta/the actual slope of the start points. I figured if I use fixed params I actually know (I didnt want to calculate the difference between eye-pos and feet and in the end have an uneven number its harder to calculate with in your head) the max measurable slope instantly.

Quote:
[...]You'll have to excuse the fact that it's been some 10+ years now since I'v taken linear algebra classes, and I only use what little maths now I need to get by. Shit, the farthest I could probably get at something simple like integrating would be to draw the integral symbol at this point.[...}
I'm going to refresh your memory at this point, simply to return the favor since I appreciate you taking a lot of thought into this:
The difference between vectors in space is the directional values it takes to travel from one point to the other. This direction can be expressed/converted in angles. For example In a 2d-graph for a linear equation (m*x+b) m = tan(alpha).

Quote:
[...]I'm going to assume that there is some inaccuracy in this method vs the other. A lot of model stuff will often store normals for each triangle explicitly, rather than calculate them on the fly (like via smoothing groups). I'd assume physics data has them indexed for quick lookup, but I'm likely to be totally wrong here.[...]
I don't know. I'm not easily to tun out of answers actually, and in a usual case like this a solution is a good night of sleep away. But this is actually starting to make me angry since it's been days and it's so frustrating.

Watch out when you're paying people for private requests! Most stuff already exists and you can hardly assess the quality of what you'll get, and if it's worth the money.

Last edited by Dr. Greg House; 07-27-2014 at 00:00.