Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Problem porting to OB

Post New Thread Reply   

Keeper
Old 10-03-2010 , 10:49   Problem porting to OB
Reply With Quote #1

My plugin for HL2DM needs to be ported.

When I got all of the nit picky things changed, I'm getting this error on compiling:

Code:
SH_DECL_MANUALHOOK0(GetBulletSpread_hook, 0, 0, 0, Vector const& );

1>C:\plugins\sourcemm_sdk\core\sourcehook\sourcehook.h(6743) : error C2528: 'abstract declarator' : pointer to reference is illegal
1>        ..\main.cpp(85) : see reference to function template instantiation 'void SourceHook::SetOverrideResult<__SourceHook_MFHCls_GetBulletSpread_hook::RetType>(SourceHook::ISourceHook *,RetType)' being compiled
1>        with
1>        [
1>            RetType=__SourceHook_MFHCls_GetBulletSpread_hook::RetType
1>        ]
1>C:\plugins\sourcemm_sdk\core\sourcehook\sourcehook.h(6743) : error C2678: binary '=' : no operator found which takes a left-hand operand of type '__SourceHook_MFHCls_GetBulletSpread_hook::RetType ' (or there is no acceptable conversion)
1>        c:\plugins\source-sdks\ob\public\mathlib/vector.h(168): could be 'Vector &Vector::operator =(const Vector &)'
1>        while trying to match the argument list '(__SourceHook_MFHCls_GetBulletSpread_hook::RetType , const Vector)'
If I remove this hook ( which is probably not needed ), it compiles fine. I just want to know if I'm doing something wrong, or what the issue is.
PM
hello, i am pm
Old 10-03-2010 , 16:48   Re: Problem porting to OB
Reply With Quote #2

Hello,

Hrm. On the first glance, this looks like a bug in SourceHook. It looks like reference returns are not supported with manual hooks at the moment.

The reason is that a special class has to be utilized which encapuslates the return type when it's a reference and internally stores it as a pointer. Apparently this is done for normal hooks but not for manual hooks. I hope I just forgot to do it and there's not a bigger problem

I will try to fix this ASAP.

Greetings, PM.
Old 10-03-2010 , 16:56   Re: Problem porting to OB
Reply With Quote #3

Ok, thanks!

This did work in EP1 games ( core-legacy ). Was it just maybe not brought over?
PM
hello, i am pm
Old 10-03-2010 , 17:57   Re: Problem porting to OB
Reply With Quote #4

Actually, the situation is likely to be more complicated than that.

My current understanding from reading the code is:

Somewhen, the feature of declaring "extern manual hooks" was added (ie. declaring a manual hook in one compilation unit and using it in another).
Until then, the macro RETURN_META_VALUE_MNEWPARAMS used to access something declared in SH_DECL_MANUALHOOK. This was not possible anymore, so a new function was added in SH_DECL_MANUALHOOK which did that part and RETURN_META_VALUE_MNEWPARAMS now only needs to call that function.

The side effect is that that function is now always compiled and not only when someone does RETURN_META_VALUE_MNEWPARAMS.

It turns out that what the function does ( = what RETURN_META_VALUE_MNEWPARAMS used to do there too ) is not compatible with reference return types.

This means that this functionality was already broken, but nobody has noticed, because nobody has used RETURN_META_VALUE_MNEWPARAMS with a manual hook which has a reference return type. Or nobody has reported it or I haven't read the report And now with that 'exeternal manual hook declaration' feature the broken part is reported by the compiler as soon as you declare the hook.

I have a potential fix on my hard disk (only involves changes in sourcehook.h) but have to add some more test cases before I send it to (unsigned long) 0xBA1L so I guess it'll be finished in the next few days.

If you are actively using that hook and need to test it earlier please send me a PM.

Greetings,
PM

Edit: Actually, why so complicated, here is the new sourcehook.h in case you wish to try it out. Beware: only tried on windows so far!
Attached Files
File Type: zip sourcehook_h.zip (26.3 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by PM; 10-03-2010 at 18:24. Reason: Attachement