How do I do things with Entities?

Post New Thread Reply   

XxAvalanchexX
Veteran Member
Old 08-26-2005 , 04:01  
Reply With Quote #11

Aha, turn this:

Code:
velocity_by_aim(NewEnt, get_cvar_num("cell_maxspeed"), fVelocity)

into this:

Code:
velocity_by_aim(id, get_cvar_num("cell_diskspeed"), fVelocity)

By using id as the first parameter you use the player's angles instead of the uncreated entities angles. Also, you registered the cvar as diskspeed, but tried to use maxspeed.
Batman/Gorlag
Old 08-26-2005 , 04:12  
Reply With Quote #12

Dang, man thanks a million I would have never caught that error on my own! I really need to freakin study the engine class, so many functions, yet so little description... And I'll edit this post if I need help again with something =D. One more thing, isn't the entity created when I made the statement: create_entity("info_target")

BTW how can I improve my karma?
XxAvalanchexX
Veteran Member
Old 08-26-2005 , 04:52  
Reply With Quote #13

Okay, well I guess it isn't an uncreated entity, but it's angles are still 0, 0, 0. As for karma:

Quote:
Every day (24 hours) you can affect five people. Of those five people, you can only affect the same person three times. The first time you affect a person, it's for free. However, if you affect them again within a 24-hour period, you lose karma points - 1 if you give them karma, 2 if you subtract. This is to prevent people from going on vengeful karma-burning sprees.

If you have less than -10 karma, you cannot affect anyone else's karma negatively. If you have less than -15 karma, you cannot affect anyone else's karma at all. If you have less than -20, you are automatically assigned the rank of "Troll" (which will be removed once you get back above -20). Furthermore, you cannot post plugins. There is no limit to how negative or positive you can get.

For every rating on an approved plugin that you've posted, you can lose or gain karma. A rating of 3 or greater is +1, a rating of 1 is -1. A positive modifier (like Useful) is also +1, while a negative modifier like Redundant is -1.

The karma system is meant to be a way to reward people who make insightful posts and detract people from posting nonsense or annoying things. Use it as a reward system for people who do well :]
Batman/Gorlag
Old 08-26-2005 , 06:28  
Reply With Quote #14

Nice, thanks for giving me the insights about karma, okay the disk works now, thanks to you it's actually moving. Now for the biggest step of all, make it follow wherever you aim, kind of like a heat-seeking missile except it doesn't follow the heat it follows wherever you aim!!! Now at this point I have no idea of how to do this. Do I need to set up a loop or something? And what function (most likely in the engine include, my feeling) can affect the direction of where an entity is moving?
DahVid
Old 08-26-2005 , 06:30  
Reply With Quote #15

+karma for attributing to the community.
DahVid
Old 08-26-2005 , 06:32  
Reply With Quote #16

get_user_aiming, I think you'd do a set_task on it so like every .1 seconds it follows the new one. Not positive.. I'd wait for someone like avalanche to post.
Freecode
Never Fall Asleep
Old 08-26-2005 , 06:53  
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahVid
get_user_aiming, I think you'd do a set_task on it so like every .1 seconds it follows the new one. Not positive.. I'd wait for someone like avalanche to post.
thats a horrible way
Batman/Gorlag
Old 08-26-2005 , 07:00  
Reply With Quote #18

I have a theory, since velocityByAim is the function that sets what direction the entity will go, maybe I could include this in the loop like cell_disklife().

On a side note I just learned by a note thanks to freecode that RadiusDamage doesn't tell who killed you, makes you look like you committed suicide.

Well what do you guys think?
DahVid
Old 08-26-2005 , 07:03  
Reply With Quote #19

1. Possibly -- I've never used it so not sure.
2. Look at other 'fake gun' plugins, theres a message you can do so that you can make it say "Bla killed Bla with Bla" etc..
Batman/Gorlag
Old 08-26-2005 , 07:33  
Reply With Quote #20

FREAKIN GOOD NEWS GUYS! I tested out my theory, AND IT WORKS!!! OMG a miracle. Now, I got to add the explosion and stuff like that. And I got to update the loop task because it only changes the direction of the disk every second. I'll make it change direction every decisecond (1/10) of a second.