Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

False ban ???

Post New Thread Reply   

Shit on shoe
Old 01-25-2019 , 21:20   False ban ???
Reply With Quote #1

Why smac ban him, what the reason? Im sure its wrong ban this guy dont cheat.

Quote:
11/29/2018 - 22:51:48: [smac_cvars.smx | 0.8.6.0] Sorrow (ID: STEAM_0:0xxxxxxx | IP: 77.22.142.226) was banned for failing checks on convar "sv_cheats". result "Okay" | CompType: "equal" | cvarValue "1" | value: "0" | value2:
Old 01-26-2019 , 04:07   Re: False ban ???
Reply With Quote #2

Judging from the logs, it looks like this person had attempted to change the value of sv_cheats on the server, which will trigger a ban from the plugin.

Please keep in mind that the smac_cvar plugin will lock your server's sv_cheats value to 0 and changing its value, even if it was done innocently or by an admin, will result in a ban. It is advised to either avoid using sv_cheats on a server using the smac_cvar plugin or, if you want to use sv_cheats on the server, you should remove/unload the plugin from the server when using sv_cheats.

If you trust this person and/or this person had admin on the server, then it might have been a false ban, just be sure to let them know not to use sv_cheats on the server next time.
Shit on shoe
Old 01-26-2019 , 22:44   Re: False ban ???
Reply With Quote #3

he has no idea about cfg, this guy is a hobby gamer and two other admin are banned too same thing. These people have nothing to do with cheating, two of them are women. Why they should change sv cheats value this make no sense, they know about SMAC! I have smac on my server over 10 years with latest version.

Quote:
212:18: [smac_cvars.smx | 0.8.6.0] Clausmeister (ID: STEAM_0xxxxxxxx | IP: xxxxxxxxxxxx) was banned for failing checks on convar "sv_cheats". result "Okay" | CompType: "replicated" | cvarValue "1" | value: "0" | value2: ""

[smac_cvars.smx | 0.8.6.0] OneExclusive`s Frau (ID: STEAM_0xxxxxxxx | IP: xxxxxxxxx) was banned for failing checks on convar "sv_cheats". result "Okay" | CompType: "equal" | cvarValue "1" | value: "0" | value2:
I can only check now the cfg of them, but im sure they playing with normal standard cfg!

Last edited by Shit on shoe; 01-26-2019 at 22:49.
Mr.Silence
Old 01-27-2019 , 04:50   Re: False ban ???
Reply With Quote #4

I would be worried if there was a sudden mass ban of players all for the same reason, however, only 3 people got banned so far, at least according to your logs, and no one else has been banned yet for sv_cheats (as far as we know), so I doubt that this is a bug or a false ban.

The main thing to understand here is that smac_cvar checks players for what they have their cvars set to while they are on the server. When a user has a cvar set to something other than what is expected, for whatever reason, the plugin takes action against them. In this case, the plugin detected that all 3 of these players had set sv_cheats to 1 according to your logs, so it banned them. smac_cvar does not differentiate between regular players and admins, so it can ban anyone (yourself included) from the server for changing protected cvars.

With all that said, there is the possibility that all 3 of these users might have had sv_cheats set to 1 client side prior to joining the server or they had binds that used sv_cheats that were used by accident on your server, both of which are scenarios that would potentially result in a ban by the plugin. If that was the case, then it doesn't mean that they are cheaters/hackers, they were just a bit careless and they accidentally got themselves banned, which is possible to do.

Ultimately, this is your server, so if you don't believe that they had any bad intentions and you want them unbanned, unban them and let them know why they got banned so that they can possibly avoid it in the future. The plugins themselves are merely there to help you with administrating the server, but only you can make a judgement call on whether or not the ban was legit/warranted based on what you know of the situation.

But as far as answering the original question, it is unlikely that these bans were false or caused by some bug in the plugin's code judging from what has been presented so far.

Last edited by Mr.Silence; 01-27-2019 at 04:51.
MaloModo
Veteran Member
Old 02-06-2019 , 13:22   Re: False ban ???
Reply With Quote #5

I wasn't even close to looking for this but saw this post so I will chime in. First, women cheat too. As matter of fact on a percentage bases I have found women are actually more likely to cheat. Second, isn't it pretty common for people to try do this in various ways, to cheat? Some being flagged by SMAC I assume.

I had a buddy who used a sv_cheats "bypass" and then ran a "wall hack" in TF2 for months without ever getting detected. But this wasn't yesterday