Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Multiple Server Instances

Post New Thread Reply   

Blackglade
Old 07-11-2014 , 20:42   Multiple Server Instances
Reply With Quote #1

So I am planning on getting a new dedicated server box for my community sometime next week and this will honestly be the first time I am going to start running linux based servers without an actual panel to handle everything backend for me. Not that I have never used linux, my preferred Distro is CentOs and I manage the backend for my communities website (Nginx, Mysql, Php, etc...), but I have never really run a server off of linux simply without a panel and so I need some advice.

To make things efficient, I have decided I want to opt toward running multiple server instances off of 1 installation. Does that mean that I will need to make duplicates for the sourcemod folder and specify +basepath for each server instance or is it fine to run several servers off 1 sourcemod installation. As soon as I buy the box, I will set up 4 trade servers exactly the same except in name and so there is no point for me to download SteamCMD several times or copy it for 4 different servers. Can anyone offer me advice/answer my question regarding multiple server instances?

Also, about autoupdating. I want my servers to quickly be able to update as fast as possible as soon as a TF2 update comes out and I am running multiple of 1 installation My setup was I possibly was thinking having 2 server installs 1 stock without any addons and 1 that I will run 4 trade servers off of. What i could then do is rsync both of them potentially and just apply the -autoupdate tag to my stock server. When an update hits, the stock server updates and then will rsync the changed files to another server installation. This way I can both make autoupdating faster rather than installing fresh new copies every time and it makes updating easier in the future in case I want to expand.

Any thoughts/ideas? I want to make this transition really smoothly and without a hassle since its my first time doing it all manually with linux.