Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

wrecked_
Veteran Member
Old 05-01-2010 , 20:48   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquimandrade View Post
What is a blue-faced ranter?
C.H.U.D.
BANNED
Old 05-01-2010 , 20:58   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Quote:
What is a blue-faced ranter?
Talk until you are blue in the face. In other words talk all you want untill you run out of breath hence face turning blue. What you say does not matter. Its what they want.
Learn some American lingo.

Last edited by C.H.U.D.; 05-01-2010 at 21:03.
joaquimandrade
Veteran Member
Old 05-01-2010 , 21:08   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.H.U.D. View Post
Talk until you are blue in the face. In other words talk all you want untill you run out of breath hence face turning blue. What you say does not matter. Its what they want.
Learn some American lingo.
It wasn't really a question. It's just that you are not smart enough to get it.
Old 05-01-2010 , 21:20   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Quote:
It wasn't really a question. It's just that you are not smart enough to get it.
Not a question ehh?...yea you got me good
Sylwester
Veteran Member
Old 05-01-2010 , 22:01   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupok View Post
So, explain why it must be removed. So far you've been saying "I don't agree with you, so there".
He is not the only one who does not agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamID
A SteamID is a unique identifier used to identify a Steam account. It is also used to refer to a user's Steam Community profile page.
This is what a steamid displayed by "status" command is supposed to be and I'm totally against posting here any plugins that provide server owners with possibility to display my steamid in "status" with not my account at any steam server for whatever reason.

Quote:
The most important thing to realize here is that censorship makes deception easier. People would not be fooled if they were made aware of how easy it is to change steamids. Deception is much more effective when plugins like Joaquim's steamid replacer are censored. When they are censored, less people will know that steamids can be changed, so they will trust steamids more than they should.
If you think about it for a moment, then you will realize that informing users about the problem will only keep increasing deception until some point.

If less people know about it, then less people will abuse it. In fact the problem probably would not surface at all until someone released easy to use method of changing steamids available for everyone (like joaquimandrade did...).

Even if you make most of users aware of the problem, it will not solve anything. The deception will still exist to some extent and with steamids known as unreliable steam servers will lose another advantage over non-steam...
Quote:
So, I suggested ways to improve the reliability of a steamid report without being VAC.
Your ideas may work only for something like steambans, but what about users and servers not associated with steambans? The only possible way of improving reliability of steamids in that case is update of game client, so since you are so willing to make things worse for them, why don't you go ask Valve for it and wait until they eventually make it.

Last edited by Sylwester; 05-01-2010 at 22:04.
BANNED
Old 05-01-2010 , 22:28   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Sorry people, but, don't you get it??!?!?!?!??

That plugin changes the steamid in your own server, not from your account.

The same way that if you want your server to everybody spawn with 200 hp, they can have the steam id you want. I don't get the problem, except with SteamBans that is a SteamBans problems, since its a bad idea. And as I said, you can fake steambans with a lot more ways.
BAILOPAN
Old 05-01-2010 , 22:42   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

I don't care about SteamBans.
Veteran Member
Old 05-01-2010 , 22:49   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

@01101101:
It's you who don't get it.

I don't care who the owner is. As long as there are players other than him who are going to play on his server, I'm against the idea of giving him a tool that lets him make players have the steam id he wants, because he can use it to make some player have my steamid and other players may think it's me. Do you get it now?
Veteran Member
Old 05-01-2010 , 22:57   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylwester View Post
@01101101:
It's you who don't get it.

I don't care who the owner is. As long as there are players other than him who are going to play on his server, I'm against the idea of giving him a tool that lets him make players have the steam id he wants, because he can use it to make some player have my steamid and other players may think it's me. Do you get it now?
I agree. This is so something so powerful that also changes in game steam friends data so the players list is also modified so there is really no way of seeing that that person isn't really you. And let's also remove set_user_info function from amxx because as it can be used to change user names you can impersonate other persons or put bad names on them and while we are at it let's ask valve to remove the name command from console because you can also use it to impersonate other persons. And to end we should make a plugin that detects how one shoots or runs because there is the risk of someone impersonating us by shooting or running like us.
Old 05-03-2010 , 04:30   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

I flew off the handle responding to the nonsensical and wrong arguments in this thread.

I don't really care if this discussion continues, I'm not going to participate. I agree with and am upholding devicenull's judgment on this matter, which has nothing to do with SteamBans. No arguments will be heard.

Posting or distributing information here on deceiving users, stealing identity, or mangling Steam functionality is not allowed, and will get you banned. I don't care who you are or about your misguided beliefs on transparency. This has been the case since the "Eject CD" plugin in 2004 - six years later, our policy on protecting users from malicious activity hasn't changed.

If you are unsure whether a plugin (whether in concept or development) applies, it is best to contact me beforehand.

Last edited by BAILOPAN; 05-03-2010 at 04:34.
Closed Thread