Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

joaquimandrade
Veteran Member
Old 04-30-2010 , 21:28   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devicenull View Post
Let's review here:
Pros:
  • I don't care about amxx anymore so it's community amusement is irrelevant for me but I'm trying to look like I care when I just care because my friends are involved in the issue.
Cons:
  • Makes more trivial to falsify evidence that my friends use even that you can falsify it without it anyway and that a system based on trust fails independently of how trivial it is to provide it false evidence and already failed irreversibly. So there isn't really any con.
You forget a pro: an admin might want to hide his steamID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiKaitou View Post
Personally, I would consider a SteamID a client setting
This plugin doesn't switch a user's steamID by another. It changes how a server shows a steamID. Is not like that the user has a new steamID with it. It's just that in the server where the plugin is (what is responsability of it's owner) it is shown differently from what would be without it.
Old 05-01-2010 , 02:10   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Quote:
Final ruling: You post the plugin, I'm going to ban you. We don't allow slowhacking, and most of your arguments could apply to that as well.
I'm very glad to see you're open to more discussion, I really appreciate that. Some people are too closed-minded and stubborn to tolerate discussions, but you're obviously not one of them.

Let's just tell people that steamid reports are reliable. When someone is wrongly banned due to the fact that they're not reliable, let's just try to hide it. Yeah, that sounds like a sustainable plan.
Old 05-01-2010 , 02:47   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

You dont get, or?
Using this plugin could harm innocent ppl.
Owyn
Veteran Member
Old 05-01-2010 , 07:15   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

poor you? you trust VAC so much, there are no cheaters anyway, why would you want steambans?
Израильский форум - Задаёшь вопрос, потом тебе задают вопрос.
Русский форум - Задаёшь вопрос, потом тебе долго рассказывают, какой ты мудак.
Send a message via ICQ to Owyn
ConnorMcLeod
Veteran Member
Old 05-01-2010 , 07:38   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Quote:

Cons:
  • Making every league's steamid database useless
  • Making it even more trivial to falsify evidence against people. (Leagues use status commands, servers use it for demos)
Is metamod allowed on leagues matches ?

- my plugins -
heroeskiller
Old 05-01-2010 , 07:45   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

In some leagues it is.
Does it matter? No, cause ppl can easily recode mm, so nobody can see it is running...
Bugsy
AMX Mod X Moderator
Old 05-01-2010 , 08:00   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Just out of curiosity, how is changing ones steam-id fun\amusing?

I don't see this plugin as being harmful as long as the server operator uses it ethically. This means, if he does submit a ban to [your favorite ban system\db here] then he has to submit the users actual steamid. If this is used properly I don't see how it could possibly corrupt all the banning systems that exist. As quim said, it isn't changing the steamid on the clients system, it just changes how it is displayed server-side. Once the client disconnects and joins a new server, his steamid will appear as normal on that server. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
Old 05-01-2010 , 08:16   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owyn View Post
poor you? you trust VAC so much, there are no cheaters anyway, why would you want steambans?
Say something intelligent for once.
Old 05-01-2010 , 08:37   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
I don't see this plugin as being harmful as long as the server operator uses it ethically. This means, if he does submit a ban to [your favorite ban system\db here] then he has to submit the users actual steamid. If this is used properly I don't see how it could possibly corrupt all the banning systems that exist. As quim said, it isn't changing the steamid on the clients system, it just changes how it is displayed server-side. Once the client disconnects and joins a new server, his steamid will appear as normal on that server. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
The main (possibly singular) reason this plugin is being censored is due to a community called SteamBans, who maintain a global banlist that is enforced on thousands of servers. Server admins who register with them can submit bans to the list. The only evidence required is a demo, combined with the output of their plugin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamBans
SBidSECURITY™ encrypts STEAM_IDs and returns a unique code that ensures that if a STEAM_ID is changed in the demo (to perhaps frame a person) SteamBans admins will easily be able to pick up on this and take action.
Their plugin only checks whether or not the demo has been altered, not if the SteamID on the server has been changed. With the SteamID replacer plugin, a server owner could impersonate another player, with the intention of getting them added to the list.

Essentially, anyone who can run a server (i.e. anyone) can get anyone they want quickly banned from thousands of servers.

As you can hopefully see, the problem isn't necessarily with the SteamID replacer plugin, but is instead a more fundamental problem regarding the use of SteamIDs and demos as absolute proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamBans
STEAM_IDs are permanent and are not changeable and therefore make up for a great way of tracking players down and sorting the good guys from the bad.

Last edited by Scone; 05-01-2010 at 13:00. Reason: typo
Bugsy
AMX Mod X Moderator
Old 05-01-2010 , 09:09   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Yes, I do understand the issue. Did you read my post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsy
I don't see this plugin as being harmful as long as the server operator uses it ethically. This means, if he does submit a ban to [your favorite ban system\db here] then he has to submit the users actual steamid. If this is used properly I don't see how it could possibly corrupt all the banning systems that exist. [..]