Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[TF2] New Server Owner, variety of serious issues with no clear source.

Post New Thread Reply   

Sparks Thunderfur
Old 03-12-2018 , 13:49   [TF2] New Server Owner, variety of serious issues with no clear source.
Reply With Quote #1

New to the forums and new to owning a server. I'm sorry if this is in the wrong thread. (If an Admin sees this, and it's in the wrong thread/subforum, please move it to the right one)

I'm a desperate new server owner in TF2, TL;DR I've got about 3 issues I simply can't find the source of;
  • Sourcemod does not detect me as admin despite the CFG being correct, and was recently fixed, but suddenly stopped working again with no changes.
  • The Server itself (not my client) has no connection to the item servers for some reason. This only occurred while attempting to install FF2, which is my third issue
  • FF2 straight up does not function at all. I'm almost certain I have all the plugins .smx .sp files etc all installed, yet despite this it only launches normal arena.

I'll be including a link to an image of my admins config in the event it's somehow wrong.
I also tried using admins_simple, but that didn't work either.

Admins Config https://i.imgur.com/2pmzhTQ.png
Admins_simple config https://i.imgur.com/LarlXja.png

If I'm missing any other information necessary, please tell me, I've gone to several other people on this issue and have had no results. I'm still working with other people and will update this thread if necessary.

I'd also be incredibly appreciative of quick help, as I've got alot of people waiting on this server, and I feel awful for making them wait as long as I have.

Last edited by Sparks Thunderfur; 03-22-2018 at 15:53.
Naydef
Old 03-12-2018 , 13:57   Re: [TF2] New Server Owner, variety of serious issues with no clear source.
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks Thunderfur View Post
New to the forums and new to owning a server. I'm sorry if this is in the wrong thread. (If an Admin sees this, and it's in the wrong thread/subforum, please move it to the right one)

I'm a desperate new server owner in TF2, TL;DR I've got about 3 issues I simply can't find the source of;
  • Sourcemod does not detect me as admin despite the CFG being correct, and was recently fixed, but suddenly stopped working again with no changes.
  • The Server itself (not my client) has no connection to the item servers for some reason. This only occurred while attempting to install FF2, which is my third issue
  • FF2 straight up does not function at all. I'm almost certain I have all the plugins .smx .sp files etc all installed, yet despite this it only launches normal arena.

I'll be including a link to an image of my admins config in the event it's somehow wrong.
I also tried using admins_simple, but that didn't work either.

Admins Config https://i.imgur.com/2pmzhTQ.png
Admins_simple config https://i.imgur.com/LarlXja.png

If I'm missing any other information necessary, please tell me, I've gone to several other people on this issue and have had no results. I'm still working with other people and will update this thread if necessary.

I'd also be incredibly appreciative of quick help, as I've got alot of people waiting on this server, and I feel awful for making them wait as long as I have.
Hello to Sourcemod forums,
I recommend you to post the output from "sm plugins list" and "sm exts list" commands and also post your error log so we can help you faster. Now about your issues:
  • Probably change "99" to "99:z"
  • I don't know. Make sure all ports required by srcds are opened
  • As i said, the outputs from the two commands
The fact that you don't have admin privileges and no connection with the item server probably means you have bad connection with steam servers.

Steam:
naydef

Last edited by Naydef; 03-12-2018 at 14:11.
Sparks Thunderfur
Old 03-12-2018 , 20:21   Re: [TF2] New Server Owner, variety of serious issues with no clear source.
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naydef View Post
Hello to Sourcemod forums,
I recommend you to post the output from "sm plugins list" and "sm exts list" commands and also post your error log so we can help you faster. Now about your issues:
  • Probably change "99" to "99:z"
  • I don't know. Make sure all ports required by srcds are opened
  • As i said, the outputs from the two commands
The fact that you don't have admin privileges and no connection with the item server probably means you have bad connection with steam servers.
Alright, after putting in the commands, this is what I get from the plugins list

[SM] Listing 25 plugins:
01 "Admin File Reader" (1.8.0.6041) by AlliedModders LLC
02 "Admin Help" (1.8.0.6041) by AlliedModders LLC
03 "Admin Menu" (1.8.0.6041) by AlliedModders LLC
04 "Anti-Flood" (1.8.0.6041) by AlliedModders LLC
05 "Basic Ban Commands" (1.8.0.6041) by AlliedModders LLC
06 "Basic Chat" (1.8.0.6041) by AlliedModders LLC
07 "Basic Comm Control" (1.8.0.6041) by AlliedModders LLC
08 "Basic Commands" (1.8.0.6041) by AlliedModders LLC
09 "Basic Info Triggers" (1.8.0.6041) by AlliedModders LLC
10 "Basic Votes" (1.8.0.6041) by AlliedModders LLC
11 "Client Preferences" (1.8.0.6041) by AlliedModders LLC
12 "Freak Fortress 2: Boss Selection" by RainBolt Dash
13 "Freak Fortress 2" (1.10.14) by Rainbolt Dash, FlaminSarge, Powerlord, the 50DKP team
14 "Fun Commands" (1.8.0.6041) by AlliedModders LLC
15 "Fun Votes" (1.8.0.6041) by AlliedModders LLC
16 "Logs.TF Uploader" (2.3.0) by F2
17 "MapChooser" (1.8.0.6041) by AlliedModders LLC
18 "Nextmap" (1.8.0.6041) by AlliedModders LLC
19 "Map Nominations" (1.8.0.6041) by AlliedModders LLC
20 "Player Commands" (1.8.0.6041) by AlliedModders LLC
21 "Reserved Slots" (1.8.0.6041) by AlliedModders LLC
22 "Rock The Vote" (1.8.0.6041) by AlliedModders LLC
23 "Sound Commands" (1.8.0.6041) by AlliedModders LLC
24 "[TF2] TF2Attributes" (1.2.1) by FlaminSarge
25 "Updater" (1.2.2) by GoD-Tony
Errors:
ff2_boss_selection.smx (Freak Fortress 2: Boss Selection): Required extension "TF2Items" file("tf2items.ext.2.ep2v") not running
freak_fortress_2.smx (Freak Fortress 2): Required extension "TF2Items" file("tf2items.ext.2.ep2v") not running
tf2attributes.smx ([TF2] TF2Attributes): Error detected in plugin startup (see error logs)

After putting in the extensions command:

[SM] Displaying 14 extensions:
[01] Automatic Updater (1.8.0.6041): Updates SourceMod gamedata files
[02] Webternet (1.8.0.6041): Extension for interacting with URLs
[03] TF2 Tools (1.8.0.6041): TF2 extended functionality
[04] BinTools (1.8.0.6041): Low-level C/C++ Calling API
[05] SDK Hooks (1.8.0.6041): Source SDK Hooks
[06] SDK Tools (1.8.0.6041): Source SDK Tools
[07] Top Menus (1.8.0.6041): Creates sorted nested menus
[08] Client Preferences (1.8.0.6041): Saves client preference settings
[09] SQLite (1.8.0.6041): SQLite Driver
[10] SteamTools (0.9.1+7202836): SteamWorks for SourceMod.
[11] Regex (1.8.0.6041): Provides regex natives for plugins
[12] file "curl.ext.dll": error code 0000007e
[13] file "SteamWorks.ext.dll": error code 0000007e
[14] file "socket.ext.dll": error code 0000007e

I'd also like to note, I forgot to mention that this is a rental server. I'm not hosting it on my own computer, so I don't believe I have access to any ports.

Obviously there's some extensions and such that are failing to load?

I can't seem to find the error logs, as uh.. The folder literally just, isn't there. There's no logs where any should be, and a search didn't give any results.

However I had a friend check the files for me to make sure nothing was missing, and there actually was a few. According to the chat history they were the compile-freaks.bat, compile.exe, and spcomp.exe.

However, this is another problem. As the file manager for this server Denies me access when trying to add them, whether it's via unzipping the archive or manually adding the files individually. I have absolutely no idea why, but this might be the cause of the errors.

But seriously, I have no idea where the error logs are. Friend told me there was supposed to be a logs folder in the sourcemod folder, but it's just not there, and as I said, the search for the files turned up 0 results.
Dagothur
Old 03-13-2018 , 00:09   Re: [TF2] New Server Owner, variety of serious issues with no clear source.
Reply With Quote #4

FF isn't working because you're missing dependencies.

ff2_boss_selection.smx (Freak Fortress 2: Boss Selection): Required extension "TF2Items" file("tf2items.ext.2.ep2v") not running
freak_fortress_2.smx (Freak Fortress 2): Required extension "TF2Items" file("tf2items.ext.2.ep2v") not running
tf2attributes.smx ([TF2] TF2Attributes): Error detected in plugin startup (see error logs)

TF2 items: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=115100

TF2 attributes: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=210221

Error logs should be in tf/addons/sourcemod/logs/

E: TF2 attribs is there but isn't loading - you're probably missing the game data.

Last edited by Dagothur; 03-13-2018 at 00:11.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 03-13-2018 , 07:04   Re: [TF2] New Server Owner, variety of serious issues with no clear source.
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks Thunderfur View Post
This is the root of both 1 and 2 - because your server cannot connect to Steam, it cannot verify your client's identity, so SM refuses to give you admin privilages.

If you're hosting with a GSP, I suggest contacting them for support on that issue - otherwise full console output from startup would help.

Quote:
However, this is another problem. As the file manager for this server Denies me access when trying to add them, whether it's via unzipping the archive or manually adding the files individually. I have absolutely no idea why, but this might be the cause of the errors.
Most hosts restrict uploading executables, but those files are not used by the server at all. However, they'll also be restricting the upload of the extensions you need, so you'll need to contact them about providing those.

Last edited by asherkin; 03-13-2018 at 07:06.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-13-2018 , 12:38   Re: [TF2] New Server Owner, variety of serious issues with no clear source.
Reply With Quote #6

Since I didn't see it mentioned yet, srcds using outgoing port 26900 (26901 if Valve still hasn't fixed the off-by-one error) by default to talk to Steam. So, if you have a firewall, you'll likely need to unblock this port.

Which port it uses can be changed using -sport on the server startup line if you have access to it.
Old 03-13-2018 , 15:43   Re: [TF2] New Server Owner, variety of serious issues with no clear source.
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagothur View Post
FF isn't working because you're missing dependencies.

TF2 items: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=115100

TF2 attributes: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=210221

Error logs should be in tf/addons/sourcemod/logs/

E: TF2 attribs is there but isn't loading - you're probably missing the game data.
I am missing a few files indeed, the server denies me access when attempting to add a few specific things, they were .dlls and .bat files.
(Edit): As for the error files, the logs folder isn't there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
This is the root of both 1 and 2 - because your server cannot connect to Steam, it cannot verify your client's identity, so SM refuses to give you admin privilages.

If you're hosting with a GSP, I suggest contacting them for support on that issue - otherwise full console output from startup would help.

Most hosts restrict uploading executables, but those files are not used by the server at all. However, they'll also be restricting the upload of the extensions you need, so you'll need to contact them about providing those.
Alright, I've just sent in a support ticket.

And as I'm writing this, I check back, and they've already replied, christ man. They seem to be able to scan and upload the files for me, so I'm going to do that and then once I've got something worth updating, I'll be back to note any changes.

Thank you guys.

Last edited by Sparks Thunderfur; 03-13-2018 at 15:59.
Sparks Thunderfur
Old 03-13-2018 , 23:05   Re: [TF2] New Server Owner, variety of serious issues with no clear source.
Reply With Quote #8

So, I've got a small update. I've managed to add a few files that were restricted for security purposes via support ticket.

However, one of the files isn't loading. Tf2items specifically. The file by this 'tf2items.ext.2.ep2v.dll'

I can load it manually through rcon, with 'sm exts load tf2items', but I don't think that will get FF2 to launch after the server has started. I tried putting it in the server's config file, but unless I did it wrong, it's not putting it through the console and starting the plugin.

I'm also waiting on them to see if they can change the port number, and see if that fixes the issue with items.

So, tl;dr I think the, at least right now, issue with FF2 not starting, is simply because tf2Items will not launch automatically.
Dagothur
Old 03-14-2018 , 20:50   Re: [TF2] New Server Owner, variety of serious issues with no clear source.
Reply With Quote #9

Try making an empty file named tf2items.autoload in the extensions folder
Sparks Thunderfur
Old 03-15-2018 , 23:57   Re: [TF2] New Server Owner, variety of serious issues with no clear source.
Reply With Quote #10

Alright, so, after working with the support staff, I did ANOTHER complete reinstall of the server, and I've gotten FF2, the item server, AND the admin shit with Smod all working.

The only problem right now is it seems the Ability Management System isn't working, as i've got some WIP bosses that use it, but none of them can change.

I don't know exactly where it was installed, since I had a friend work on that for me. I'll be looking into it tomorrow most likely as it's late where I am.

I just wanted to update this thread with the info.