Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Solved Running a game server safely. ( avoiding malicious code )

Post New Thread Reply   

Infamanious
Old 06-22-2022 , 22:33   Running a game server safely. ( avoiding malicious code )
Reply With Quote #1

Is it possible for metamod plugins to inject malicious code into your system and act like a backdoor?
Could someone determine whether or not open source code on github is malicious by just taking a glance at it? How do you know if the current release build is actually built from the master git?

When i use programs from github i check for the users statistics to see if they have alot of commendations or favorites before executing their code on my system. There are so many programmers out their addicted to infiltrating peoples systems with illegal intent (blackhats) i cant help but be a little paranoid when it comes to hosting a game server.

Last edited by Infamanious; 06-23-2022 at 01:49.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 06-22-2022 , 23:18   Re: Running a game server safely. ( avoiding malicious code )
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamanious View Post
Could someone determine whether or not open source code on github is malicious by just taking a glance at it?
I'm sure it depends on the code itself (e.g. how large and complex it is) and if someone knows all of the things to look for. So, I would say that it's rarely safe to say that someone would be able to find a good backdoor by "glancing at it".

I think the general idea is that popular open source projects have a lot of eyes looking at it so many common issues would be found by someone but that's not foolproof. That is the nature of all open source code.

Quote:
How do you know if the current release build is actually built from the master git?
You're welcome to compile AMX Mod X locally if you're super paranoid.

Quote:
i cant help but be a little paranoid when it comes to hosting a game server.
Rent a server from a game hosting service and don't put anything other than the game server files on it. If you want to host it yourself for some reason, get a VPS. Never host it from your personal IP address or on a computer that is in any way connected to anything you can't afford to be hacked.