Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Becoming a New Plugin Approver - How?

Post New Thread Reply   

Bittersweet
Veteran Member
Old 05-05-2013 , 03:15   Becoming a New Plugin Approver - How?
Reply With Quote #1

This post: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=77611 is almost five years old. It's very vague, saying to contact other approvers via IRC. Who? What IRC? The 5-year-old stuff, or people in the 48 pages of yet to be approved new plugins? Many of those plugins have no evidence of being reviewed by any "official" Plugin Approver.

I'm not complaining...I'm just wondering if it's just gotten so big that no one cares anymore...The core team is overwhelmed...something like that?

Is there even a good reason to have approved vs. not approved plugins? I'm pretty sure that any malicious code would be ferreted out fairly quickly by the community and it's author(s) given due justice.

What exactly is an "Approved" plugin anyway? Any guarantees there? I'm thinking that at one point, this was the intent, and since then the whole ball of wax has gotten so big that no one really cares about it so much anymore. What is the issue, if anyone cares to comment?

My plugins:
[CS:S] BOT Swat | [ANY] CVAR Randomizer | [CS:S] SM CS:S Tag Beta | [CS:S] Bot2Player
Awesome & Crucial plugins by other people:
[CS:S/CS:GO] GunGame | [UMC3] Ultimate Mapchooser | [ANY] Server Crontab | [ANY] SM ForceCamera
MasterOfTheXP
Veteran Member
Old 05-05-2013 , 03:47   Re: Becoming a New Plugin Approver - How?
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittersweet View Post
What IRC?
http://www.sourcemod.net/irc.php
Veteran Member
Old 05-05-2013 , 04:17   Re: Becoming a New Plugin Approver - How?
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfTheXP View Post
I click on that link and it brings up a page, but I'm thinking that it's supposed to start an IRC client or something. I haven't had one of those in several years. I used to use one while I played Diaspora way back in the 90s.

Since we have 40+ pages of unapproved plugins, it doesn't seem like a crisis that requires instant messaging of any kind. The private message system of these forums should do just fine for me.

Edit: I don't understand why there is no direct way to apply to help, offer help on this page:
https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=77611

The title is "How to be an approver", but there really isn't any direct way to do exactly that listed. Instead, it seems to be a list of people who post on these forums on a regular basis.

LOL, am I supposed to spam everyone I have heard of on the list? I don't think so.

My plugins:
[CS:S] BOT Swat | [ANY] CVAR Randomizer | [CS:S] SM CS:S Tag Beta | [CS:S] Bot2Player
[CS:S/CS:GO] GunGame | [UMC3] Ultimate Mapchooser | [ANY] Server Crontab | [ANY] SM ForceCamera

Last edited by Bittersweet; 05-05-2013 at 04:23. Reason: Addition
Bittersweet
Veteran Member
Old 05-05-2013 , 04:34   Re: Becoming a New Plugin Approver - How?
Reply With Quote #4

Anyway, here is one I'd like some feedback on, without having to IM or spam people about it
https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=215217

My plugins:
Dr. McKay
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 05-05-2013 , 11:32   Becoming a New Plugin Approver - How?
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Anyway, here is one I'd like some feedback on, without having to IM or spam people about it
https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=215217
You're just going to have to wait. We are going through plugins, albeit not extraordinarily quickly.

It might help if you actually marked your plugin as "Ready for Review".

Last edited by Dr. McKay; 05-05-2013 at 11:34.
Bittersweet
Veteran Member
Old 05-05-2013 , 12:01   Re: Becoming a New Plugin Approver - How?
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
You're just going to have to wait. We are going through plugins, albeit not extraordinarily quickly.

It might help if you actually marked your plugin as "Ready for Review".
Yes sir, I get it. None of this seems to be at the top of anyone's list, and it probably shouldn't be anyway.

That plugin isn't really at the "ready for review" stage yet, but I do have 2 or 3 others in that stage that I've posted. That plugin is in Beta and I really need testing and suggestions for improvement before it's ready for the approval stage - at least I think so.

I was just taking some time and looking around in the "New Plugins" sub forum, and noticed there was quite a bit of stuff just sitting there, some of it a few years old since the original post. Although I was pretty excited last night about releasing my new plugin for beta testing, I started this thread more to offer to help in the approval process, since there is such a back log. I can't do much since I only run one CS:S server, but with 40+ pages of new plugins, I thought any effort might help. I guess I really don't understand the application process for "Plugin Approver".

My plugins:
Bittersweet
Veteran Member
Old 05-05-2013 , 12:25   Re: Becoming a New Plugin Approver - How?
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfTheXP View Post
I got the channel open in Pidgin. I'm not sure what to do from here.

My plugins:
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 05-06-2013 , 09:58   Re: Becoming a New Plugin Approver - How?
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
I got the channel open in Pidgin. I'm not sure what to do from here.
The thread you linked has a huge link right in the middle of it telling you where to go to apply to be an approver, the final paragraph re: IRC and the user groups is about how to find existing plugin approvers willing to back up your application, which requires two of them.
Old 05-20-2013 , 21:36   Re: Becoming a New Plugin Approver - How?
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
The thread you linked has a huge link right in the middle of it telling you where to go to apply to be an approver, the final paragraph re: IRC and the user groups is about how to find existing plugin approvers willing to back up your application, which requires two of them.
This link? http://www.sourcemod.net/irc.php

I'm not seeing what you are talking about:

What huge link?

My plugins:
Sheepdude
SourceMod Donor
Old 05-23-2013 , 15:21   Re: Becoming a New Plugin Approver - How?
Reply With Quote #10

Nah Bittersweet, like they said if you want to become an Approver, submit a bug report requesting such, and two existing approvers / developers have to vouch for you. You have to be dedicated and critical, though, because there are a lot of plugins that are either garbage or ride the line between useful and obscure, and as an approver it's your job to decide if plugins warrant an approval or if they need to be further refined.